1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CJ - Only Javascript Links For New Merchants After June 23

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by TrustNo1, May 24, 2006.

1. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    In another post they say they avoid the penalty by using loads of different domains for the links.

mad4, May 25, 2006 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    And an affiliate network is not the place I go to get the latest SEO news and techniques. I do not need the network telling me how to rank nor forcing me to change methods because it suits them; yet offers us no appreciable benefits.

The network is the one piggybacking off of our work -- 30% of your income is taken by Commission Junction as their cut -- so it is a load of shit that they try and tell us how to rank or how to link to our partner, the merchant. I am partnered with great merchants, not a great network.

TheHoff, May 25, 2006 IP
    Option6 likes this.
  3. atonca

atonca Peon

Best Answers:
    Read the CJ email about JavaScript links again and again, and running back and forth from the email to DP forum...still haven't figure out what's that change good for publishers.

Except: we have to spend thousands of hours redo our programming works.

Again, shall we have a vote and let CJ hear our voices?

atonca, May 25, 2006 IP
  4. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Cj said they are doing this to please employees?, merchants and publishers.
    I've seen large threads about this in several forums and no merchants OR publishers admit to wanting it....

simey, May 25, 2006 IP
  5. donnareed

donnareed Peon

Best Answers:
    Has to be one of the worst planned rollouts I've seen- ever hear of a beta program, you knuckleheads? What are they going to do when it goes live across all merchants and sales take a nosedive, or their java servers crash.

donnareed, May 26, 2006 IP
  6. jskrewson

jskrewson Peon

Best Answers:
    As a heavy CJ Datafeed user, I hope that that my workflow will be unaffected. I have to say that they are doing a HORRIBLE job of communicating the details of this change.

jskrewson, May 26, 2006 IP
  7. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    If your datafeed shows up on a webpage, they'll expect it to be serving Javascript links.

You think PriceRunner will have to comply with this? Yea, right.

TheHoff, May 26, 2006 IP
  8. Art

Art Peon

Best Answers:
    Is this inconvenient? Yes! Is there anything we can ultimately do about it? No! Will we all ultimately still stay on as CJ publishers? Yes ;/

We'll be lucky if CJ listens to us.

Art, May 30, 2006 IP
  9. atonca

atonca Peon

Best Answers:
    "Announcement
    Listen and Learn Now – Link Management Initiative on CJU Online Podcast Series!
    Beginning today, May 30 at 12 p.m. PDT, Commission Junction will present the new CJU Online Podcast Series! This first podcast will focus on the recently announced Link Management Initiative – providing insight into what it is and what it means for you. So, tune in to get the latest scoop on the Link Management Initiative!

To listen and learn, click here."

I tried "click here", they send me to "music match" registration page. Do I have to register with Music Match in order to listen to this thing?

atonca, May 30, 2006 IP
  10. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    TheHoff, May 30, 2006 IP
  11. atonca

atonca Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks, TheHoff. You just saved my time. It is rather better reading what you posted. You are absolutely right. "...many of your affiliates will make the switch and business will carry on, but I’m also sure that many top affiliates will realize it is easier to switch networks than to switch link types". I'm not a top affiliate, but I have started signed with more affiliate networks a couple weeks ago. It is better not to put all my eggs in one basket anyway. Just loved CJ so much and hesitated to take a look at other affiliate network...I guess it is about time to change.

"CJ: Other affiliate networks are “offering javascript links or have announced the intention to do so. This is a trend.”

Notice that other networks are offering the links, not forcing them down the affiliate’s throats with 100% changeover necessary. And just because LinkShare thinks it is a good idea, doesn’t mean that it is. Can I suggest you also install Synergy Analytics?"
    (agree)

I remembered I have told one of the advertisers with LS that CJ's affiliate program works a lot better than LS. Does CJ lose its confidence to be the top affiliate network provider?

atonca, May 30, 2006 IP
  12. jskrewson

jskrewson Peon

Best Answers:
    I listened to their podcast. Complete BS. Its kindof interesting in that they doing this for the merchants with total disregard to the publishers. There are no publisher benefits.

jskrewson, May 30, 2006 IP
  13. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    I like CJ's interface and I like their reporting. It isn't perfect or even great, but it is the best out there at the moment. Their interface and the quality of merchants make them the top dog at the moment. LinkShare has a lot of big name merchants but also a lot of parasite-infested programs. If you could combine the brands of LS, along with the ethics of ShareaSale, put CJ's interface on it, you'd have a damn fine network.

The "trend" part confuses me. I'm not sure why that is purported as a benefit. The whole interview was pretty much fluff... Brian actually asked a few decent questions but we got back canned corporate answers. I'm not sure which was funnier... changing to javascript because you're following the trends of companies like Google Adsense or that you've done significant load testing; enough to do a company wide roll-out without a beta phase or any sort of opt-out.

I'd bet this month's CJ check that there are more than a few employees on the technical side at CJ that have doubts about the capabilities of their servers to keep up with the javascript load.

TheHoff, May 30, 2006 IP
  14. nutkeis

nutkeis Peon

Best Answers:
    nutkeis, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  15. jskrewson

jskrewson Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, I signed the petition too... I just can't imagine why CJ would do something soo stupid.

jskrewson, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  16. atonca

atonca Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks nutkeis for spreading the petition site. Hopefully CJ will take our petition seriously and give us options to from choose JavaScript links or HTML links.

atonca, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  17. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I hate this javascript idea.

sorry guys but this is my feeling:

1) this petition is very small compared to 80,000 Publishers

2) The Javascript project is clearly focusing Advertises needs, not Publishers - so they will not listen us.

3) The project is on a very advanced phase to stop or change and does not makes sense in keep 2 options: html and Javascript - this mixed system would be the hell to CJ and his technician team.

I don't think that we have a chance. :(

Micromag, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  18. nutkeis

nutkeis Peon

Best Answers:
    Sadly, I think you're right. But if that petition garnered 40,000 signatures, it just might have a snowball's chance in hell. Personally, I'm planning my switchover to a new affiliate network anyway.

nutkeis, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  19. atonca

atonca Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't give up, nutkeis. The petition list is growing fast. There are 61 sign-ups already just for today. A lot of publishers might not know this petition site if they are not the members of DP forum. Even if it might not influerence CJ's decision, I'm still appreciate the effort of the person whoever set up this petition site.

Let's keep trying our best to spread the petition site to more publishers.

atonca, Jun 2, 2006 IP
  20. mad4

mad4 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've raised my concerns with the merchant that sends me the biggest cheque. We shall see if they have any answers. :)

mad4, Jun 2, 2006 IP