1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CJ is totally worthless

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by Laceygirl, Jan 5, 2008.

1. thefreebielife

thefreebielife Peon

Best Answers:
    Uh to the original post- i for one, make more then enough money via CJ.

Maybe you should tune up your marketing skills... :rolleyes:

thefreebielife, Jan 7, 2008 IP
  2. korzon

korzon Peon

Best Answers:
    Hey GrAveTzT, I respect you - but when you make posts like these you come off as a troll.

korzon, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  3. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What can I say? I had a goal in life and a time limit on it. Today I'm sitting about 7 years past the deadline in some crap hole (yellow cracked siding) house beside a contruction loading yard.

I don't mean to just get people going on purpose. It's just I'm sick of all of these profit programs like CJ which have impossible measures of actually making a living from them. It's like only the rare person can make it with CJ, and the rest is just wasted time.

I like that you have a pinch of respect for me, but I'm riding on edge here. It seems like every way of great profit is out of my reach. The only idea's I've been able to come up with are scamming and making a lot of cash quick, but I don't want to fit in with the rest of the webmasters. I want it to be honest money.

Maybe, in a couple of months I'll find out that there is no such thing as "honest money". They call that "no money".

Laceygirl, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  4. tvmatt

tvmatt Peon

Best Answers:
    GrAveTzT - first, look at the EPC (avg. earnings per hundred clicks) from the programs you're looking to promote. You'll see that others are making money. It's all about targeting - I've given you my stats on how much I made on one of my sites with CJ vs. Adsense. It's not a problem with CJ, it's a problem with your targeting and your audience. If pay-per-lead or pay-per-sale ads don't work well with your site or audience, or if you don't have enough time to target the ads, don't blame it on CJ. Switch to another advertising method that works better - there's no sense in constantly complaining about a single affiliate network because your pay-per-action ads aren't targeted and therefore don't work.

Just move on...

tvmatt, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  5. grwolz

grwolz Guest

Best Answers:
    I know your sick of hearing it but the first thing your going to need to do is calm down. Being angry at the world and upset with your efforts isn't going to give you the results you are looking for.

After your rested read up on the current state of the internet. Saying that 90% of the internet is teens is a very uneducated statement. There is not a single member of my family thats not online from my 2yr niece, to 72yr grand mother that uses it for online dating!

Now we can look at your dinosaur site. IMO this isn't going to be the best test you can do. Right now id say your traffic is kids that are trying to do research for school projects. Kids don't have money or credit cards, and sales will reflect that. I would leave this site as a MFA site and move on to something new.

What do I recommend? Try selling something to adults. Stay out of the electronics area since its hard as hell, no dating sites either. You are going to want a niche geared to adults, your best bet is hobbies. I love to make sites about others hobbies. Collectibles and hobby equipment/parts do very well since people spend most of their money on their passion. Hell ill even give you a niche.

Knitting/Crochet the demographic is females age 40-65 and they spend tons of money on yarn and wools. I was at a craft store the other day and they are whole carts of wool thread to make blankets and stuff (it was 30% off). Joanne.com is on CJ and they have products though I am sure you can find other merchants with stuff to. Make a website that looks like a store with NO ADSENSE and sell knitting stuff. Having adsense on a store site is a horrible idea since that 0.04 click could have been your $5 in commissions. Work on SEO since PPC probably wont pay off and fill the site with content and move on to your next site, your next niche.

My first month with CJ I made $500 with BANS and PPC (4 BANS sites), second and third month was over 1k. Now in my 4th month on CJ my account has $578 in it (had to stop PPC for the holidays and 2 sites got sandboxed). Its not an impossible task you just need to spend more time learning before you jump into the selling.

Good Luck.

grwolz, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  6. korzon

korzon Peon

Best Answers:
    It's not that only a rare person can make it with CJ. Only a rare person can make it in general. Most small bussiness fail. The vast majority of start-ups fail. And even those that succeed typically crumble eventually.

I don't say this to many people, but I think you could really use some formal business administration education. It will help you focus your energies in more productive directions.

korzon, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  7. GuardianAngel

GuardianAngel Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I think he sold a lot of shoes, huh? Anyways, I truly believe that affiliate programs' success in our blogs and sites depend on three most important persons: you, your readers and the affiliate marketing site owner. If one of these people had problems with attittude and communication, then nobody will be interested to buy the products no matter how much traffic the site has.

GuardianAngel, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  8. triplex

triplex Peon

Best Answers:
    im with cb and cj,but believe me, cb sucks!!cj has good quality products for webmasters, im not making much but i can tell you that with 20 clicks a day i make normally a couple of sales, it all depends on your traffic and specially where it comes from.

btw..i dont have more that 30 visitors a day to that website

triplex, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  9. tonysmillions

tonysmillions Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know what cj is, but it doesn't sound too promising! Hi everyone! Tony

tonysmillions, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  10. silverpot

silverpot Active Member

Best Answers:
    wow! only 30 visitor a day, and you make sales? thats sounds really good

silverpot, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  11. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Alright, alright I'm calm.

See, this is the where everyone is waiting for me to say. "that's the problem". adsense works anywhere and CJ, you need to find the perfect niche for it, and it may not be perfect when you find it because there might be something you didn't pay attention to.

Dinosaurs are generally for children but there is a heck of a lot of adults that see the site. Teachers use it often (they love to link it everywhere) and Paleotologists, college students, etc. I have to do it on that site. I don't have anything else that gets enough relivent traffic. Of coruse I have to go to my miserable fulltime job first so I'll have to start in like 9 hours. If you have any idea's to optimize this, please mention it because I'm not exactly a cj optimizer....

The thing is I can't make an entire site up to be able to see if this CJ will work. If CJ isn't good for any of the sites that I have than it obviously is way too much trouble.

Laceygirl, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  12. bogart

bogart Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anybody heard of cookie stuffing? I read something about it the other day.

bogart, Jan 8, 2008 IP
  13. rima112

rima112 Peon

Best Answers:
    It is really good discussion. I learn a lot from it. No experience with Cj just an empty account. But I want to try it this year.

rima112, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  14. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    You better get busy and make a sale before they close your account!

geomark, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  15. grwolz

grwolz Guest

Best Answers:
    I noticed that the CJ ads on the dino site are gone. I was going to give you a product to try and sell... Check out "Pleo" its a highly advanced robotic dinosaur (bout $350). Amazon has it, Buy.com has it and is on CJ, I am sure a couple other major electronic/toy/science stores would have it to. Perhaps the discoverystore.com? Its a pretty expensive toy, but it may appeal to teachers?

Keep at it man, eventually the money will come.

grwolz, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  16. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    For the dino site - you should put up some eBay auctions for dinosaur fossils.

http://search.ebay.com/dinosaur+fossil

There's certainly some very 'clickable' auctions there. I bet people would click on those auctions purely out of interest, especially if they're into dinosaurs - and by then, the cookie is dropped and your job is done.

Kerosene, Jan 9, 2008 IP
  17. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I saw the Pleo Robot in CJ.com. That probably would never sell. It's Dog-gone expensive.

I didn't get a chance to work the dinosaur site and CJ yet. I'm doing a bunch of other things first.

Laceygirl, Jan 10, 2008 IP
  18. WolfMother

WolfMother Member

Best Answers:
    Dinosaur sites, fossils?

Concentrate on something more lucrative like new electronics or furniture. Those are just two things that are making me over $100 a day in CJ. There are ways to make this program work, as with everything it is trial and error. Spend less time worrying/wasting your time and more testing/earning before you are going to denounce something as a money maker.

WolfMother, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  19. DoughRoller

DoughRoller Peon

Best Answers:
    I can sympathize with how difficult it can be to make money on CJ. I have a personal finance blog which I've run for 7 months and have made $35 total on CJ. By comparison, I made $450 last month in adsense and $650 so far this month. I also do well with Amazon. All on about 1,000 UV average per day. Having spent a lot of time on this and other forums, I've concluded that the problem with my CJ sales is me, not CJ. I've been treating CJ banners and links much like adsense--just throw them up on the site and hope I make money. It just doesn't work that way with CJ. My plan is to begin writing posts about specific CJ products and services that (1) I believe are useful/valuable, and (2) that I think my readers would find useful/valuable. I don't know how well this will work, of course, but it seems to me to be the right approach.

I'd be interested if anybody else has tried this approach on a blog and what your results were.

DoughRoller, Jan 11, 2008 IP
  20. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    @ WolfMother - some of my most successful eBay sites are the ones promoting low priced items - people click the auctions, and then proceed to buy all sorts of things (cars, tvs, whatever). On the other hand, some of my sites with ridiculous auctions (houses, Ferraris etc) get clicks purely from tyre kickers - who then go on to buy a bulk pack of 1000 diapers :p

I don't think it really matters what you're promoting, people are going to end up buying all sorts of weird unrelated stuff.

Kerosene, Jan 11, 2008 IP