1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CJ is totally worthless

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by Laceygirl, Jan 5, 2008.

I'd personally like to say that CJ is total BS. You can't make no living off of this crap.

I have used it on several sites. Click after click goes in with it. Tons a day and still after 3 months nobody buys nothing.

Maybe it's becuase people don't buy stuff online very much?
    Maybe it's becuase CJ is ripping you off and not telling you when something does sell? It's not like you would find out?

Regardless after 5,000 clicks into these stores I can surely say that this is BS.

When....WHEN the heck am I going to find a way to quit my miserable job at this damn random cabinet making factory?

Seriously. Out of all of the ways on the internet. Ebay stores, adsense, adengage, affiliates, membership sites, selling domains, freelancing, etc and I cannot win. It looks like the only people who make it are the ripoff artists around DP selling ebooks to the new webmasters or lying about the traffic on their sites and selling banners for them.

CJ.com - See you later you worthless system.

Laceygirl, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  2. Lpspider

Lpspider Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately, I've had the same lack of success with CJ. However, I'm not giving up just yet.

Lpspider, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  3. lggmaster

lggmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    what stores or services are you promoting through CJ?

the problem may lie in the fact that people normally and instinctively only purchase online or offline, from stores that they feel comfortable in or trust. 98% of the sites that are on CJ I would never buy anything from myself no matter how much cheaper they were or how much cash i had. half the sites have names like Nevada Bobs Gold, i mean comeon, these people are last ditch efforting to get some money off their websites, and most have no future or choice but to go with a company like CJ.

focus on the bigger sites like ebay lending tree, capital one. companies that people have heard of or have been to before.

lggmaster, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  4. caj

caj Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's not really that's worthless. Try find the best converting products. When I started I tried to sign up with any available advertisers - but in the end I only had time for few. I tested those best suited my sites. I'm not making much but - enough to make it worth the while.

caj, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  5. sport302

sport302 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have to say I agree people do not like to buy things online from companies that they do not recognize. However, there are some well known companies that do pay great commissions for certain niches such as anything related to money and finance. On the flip side a lot of the advertisers pay very little.

I also agree with you that it is hard to find the one or two affiliates that end up making it worth the time. I have tried over 20 affiliate programs on CJ and only have had about 2-3 that have really made it worth the effort. When you do find those 2-3 that work you can make decent money from them for long periods of time.

sport302, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  6. sweet_jasmine

sweet_jasmine Banned

Best Answers:
    I totally agreed !

Last year mid june i think..i give up on CJ....

:(

sweet_jasmine, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  7. Norrad

Norrad Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I haven't had any problem with CJ, but I don't promote them as much as I should.

Norrad, Jan 5, 2008 IP
  8. zeropaid

zeropaid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i love cj :)

zeropaid, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  9. vinner

vinner Peon

Best Answers:
    CJ is magic for me :)

I luv them

vinner, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  10. Laceygirl

Laceygirl Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Nah, CJ, is one big waste of effort. I couldn't see myself competing, learning, and running around trying to find the right store then getting nowhere in year. I don't have a year.

After using adsense I thought, what a bunch of crooks.

Now after using more than 20 different profit methods adsense is the highest (not including ripping people off).

I heard that ripping people off works the best. Take a look at the stuff sold here at DP. I guess that's why I'm not going to make it in life. I'm too honest for being a webmaster.

Laceygirl, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  11. mcjp6

mcjp6 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Must say I agree with you. you will not make any money out of CJ with that attitude or did you not stop to think that maybe its not CJ thats rubbish but the method in which you are trying to market its advertisers?

you need to be inventive, not follow the sheep, do something different, experiment, plenty of free ways to test methods.

Now here is an idea, just an idea, you can build on it change it etc make it your own, but it does involve work. I can't take credit, from a fellow BANS user.

1. You have a local High School

2. You have a BANS site focused on Music, iPods, Free Downloads and all types of things these local high school kids like. (your BANS site is even the same colors and has the school mascott on it.) Now that is a Niche!

3. You create a "Promotion" to GIVE AWAY A FREE iPOD (cost about $90)

4. You go to 5 local business locations (coffee shop, resturant, hip kids clothing store, etc.)

5. Explain the Promotion that is highly directed at their target audience (the high school kids)

6. Tell them you are limiting Sponsors to only 5 local business people. (make sure your BANS products don't compete with them)

7. Sell the Sponsor spot for $100 per Sponsor

8. Run the give away for 30 days but give the Sponsors 90 days of exposure. (also ask them to give you a discount coupon for their off days, example 20% off meals every Tuesday between 2 and 6 P.M. -- Help them sell their dead time)

9. Use a simple double opt-in email sign up page for the give away sign up. (no purchase necessary)

10. How does it break down?

Question What do You Get Out of It?

1. You raised $500 cash - the cost of the iPod $90 - cost of your gas $10 = $400 in your pocket

2. You now have a huge mailing list of double opt-in emails from the local high school kids that sign up

3. You now have 5 local business sponsors ready for your next promotion

4. You start building the site to be more "sticky" and build return customers

Question How do you get the Kids to Come to the site?

1. You go to your local print shop and print up 500 business cards

2. You put them on every car in the parking lot or at the next sporting event.

3. We have done this and seen sign ups from 500 cards be as low as 100 and as high as 800 (just depends on the viral effect)

Question What does the card say?

Let's say the School Mascott is "The Stingrays"

Card Text:

Win a FREE Stingray's iPod Shuffle
    No Purchase Necessary

Question What's On the back of the Card?:

Sponsored By:
    Billy's Music Shop - 10% discount with this card
    Big Momma's Resturant - Buy One Get One Free on Tuesdays
    Joes Malt Shop - Stingray's rock so 20% off with this card
    (you get the idea)

Arrow This is called Third Party Credibility (users trust your local business, they don't know you just yet)

Rolling Eyes OK, you caught me. The cards cost about $30 so you only have $370 cash in your pocket Wink
    (but I did not count the commissions made from click thrus or adsense as people sign up)

Question What Content Do you Put On the Site?

1. The Sponsors for sure with links to Discount Coupon pages and their website

2. School info, sports scores, cheerleader pics, chess club times, hot music trends, free downloads (not hard to find)

3. What products sell on your site? Music, iPods, Accessories, Sporting Goods, Concert tickets, (you have a ton of options)

best of luck assuming you don't give up

mcjp6, Jan 6, 2008 IP
    timelf123 and nextgen66 like this.
  12. falcondriver

falcondriver Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    same experience here. tried cj for a few months ad had about 7k clicks and they kept saying i made not a single sale during that time. traffic for that site was 100% natural, se or returning visitors. signed up with an independent affiliate for a similar product and got a pretty good convention rate on the exact same site.

cj - never again.

falcondriver, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  13. linuxer

linuxer Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, You've showed us a really great idea. I've never thought about doing AM this way. If well planned, this method will surely be a super effective way to achieve sales, and for long term. Off-line marketing works for Online business for sure. Seems I still have a lot to learn. Thank you for the hint!

linuxer, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  14. geomark

geomark Peon

Best Answers:
    I sold nothing through CJ for a very long time. Now I'm doing ok, got 4 of those little green bars a couple months ago and earnings are slowly growing each month. I tried lots of merchants. Most earned me nothing. I think I'm signed up with like 75 right now but only a handful make me any money. But I have some new ideas to grow the business even more.

For me it's a subtle thing, hitting the winning formula. It varies so much for every person and every niche. Other people are naturals, like maybe mcjp6 who just tosses out an idea that you could probably kill with.

So sometimes and for some people CJ is a waste. For others, not so much.

geomark, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  15. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    If you can't make money using CJ + eBay/BANS, then you're doing something seriously wrong.

I'm even making the occasional banner sale these days ...

Kerosene, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  16. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    I make money on cj not as much as i want but still good money. I only promote a few sites that make me money from them.

rcj662, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  17. baloot

baloot Peon

Best Answers:
    my CJ is also BS.

i like CB more than CJ. why?

because...i had only a little sales with CJ..

anyone had idea?

baloot, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  18. tvmatt

tvmatt Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm both an advertiser and a publisher on CJ. I can tell you that nobody is getting ripped off. People who purchase template site, buy crap traffic, and use completely untargeted ads won't make money.

As for me personally (for my publisher account), 366 clicks led to $508 in commissions yesterday (all from PPC ads) - CJ isn't exactly BS.

tvmatt, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  19. sundaybrew

sundaybrew Numerati

Best Answers:
    I actually have had a lot of success with cj.com and made several sales in some niches,

However, I am so fookin ADD , that I never stick with anything,

If you want , I could make a post for you via my videoblog and show you what method I used capturing it with my screen cast software.

Let me know if your interested , you sound pretty pissed at cj, so I am not sure if this would even be an option for you at this point.

sundaybrew, Jan 6, 2008 IP
  20. Manthem

Manthem Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    12 clicks yesterday - $132 in commissions and it was a fairly slow day.

[​IMG]
    Shoemoney's CJ account.

Still worthless?

Manthem, Jan 6, 2008 IP