1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CJ - Is this normal? Am I hiding my tracking code correctly?

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by linkpro, Apr 4, 2006.

I started promoting 3 different CJ programs and after about 3 weeks of doing so I having great success with at least 2 - 3 sales a day. I decided to bump up traffic spending for April and literally instead of sending out onlly 30 - 50 clicks to affiliates per day I am now sending over 100 per day and here is the problem. No sales in APRIL! Yes I was getting good conversion in March.

So what is the deal. About half my affiliate code was using a redirect to hide the code and the other half I was lazy and had the code still showing and I was directly linking to affiliate sites. So in April I changed all code to being redirected.

Any thoughts? None of my programs USE batch.

linkpro, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  2. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    With 2 or 3 sales per day, that isn't enough to really carve out an average. With those numbers, your days could be 0, 0, 0, then 8 sales.. and it would still average out to be normal and that sort of pattern wouldn't be abnormal. Also consider monthly expenses and spending habits (depending on what you're selling).

My April at CJ has been down since a merchant changed their coupon for this month.. so their sales are going to suffer. Other merchants and other programs will pick up the slack. Also, this morning CJ has had some server or DNS issues where their servers were not responding.

Good job getting this far in only a few weeks!

TheHoff, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  3. linkpro

linkpro Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the reply. Just seemed a little strange that everyday for 3 weeks in March I got at least 2 sales. No APRIL 0 , 0 , 0 sales so far. Seems a little weird. Just wanted to make sure my clicks are getting tracked.

If they show up in the Performance menu as Clicks (does this actually mean they are getting tracked)?

What is the easiest method or program to track affiliate links? I use Javascript redirects right now.

linkpro, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  4. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Is it possible the merchant changed something? Did you check the price on their site? Did they put up a 1-800 number that is taking the sales? Is the cart broken or changed at some point?

It can be weird when sales dip for no reason, especially when traffic increases.. so don't forget we're always depending on someone else's site, pricing, shipping, and reputation.

For redirects, javascript is fine. I use PHP and log them into mySQL.

TheHoff, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  5. linkpro

linkpro Peon

Best Answers:
    1 of the merchants actually just started a promotion and the others are exactly the same....no changes.

linkpro, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  6. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    That is probably the worst problem with affiliate marketing.. being in the dark with what happens after your link is clicked. Three choices as I see it-- contact the merchant and start a conversation, ignore it and see if sales come in, or place a test order yourself.

TheHoff, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  7. linkpro

linkpro Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the help...

bye the way I loved your song/video "Hooked on a feeling"

linkpro, Apr 4, 2006 IP
  8. TheHoff

TheHoff Peon

Best Answers:
    You're welcome, and no, I did not beat my wife :(

TheHoff, Apr 4, 2006 IP