1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CJ CTR and commissions

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by gemini, Feb 4, 2005.

Okay, since I just started a few days ago, got approval from two companies and already put up their links I have a qestion:
    My ctr 3.65% (not sure if I can say that) and I get much-much more clicks on affiliate text links than google adsense, but still no leads yet. I don't think I mislead people by putting up those links, but feels like they don't go for registrations. What would be an average registration rate after vs clicks or vs impressions? Any suggestions at all as for the conversion clicks into leads? (estate/mortgage and related industries)

gemini, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  2. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    I was going to ask a very similar question today. My situation is CTR of 0.19-0.21% with about 800-1000 unique visitors per day, but no leads or sales generated. (I'm using text links only on content pages, and have been at it about 3 weeks) What can we expect from CJ? (sorry gemini, not trying to hijack your thread).

exam, Feb 4, 2005 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    It just takes time- you will usually convert 1-7% of your clicks, if they are set up well.

schlottke, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  4. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    OK, thanks.

>> if they are set up well

Would you recommend setting up a page on my site, promoting the affiliate product, instead of just a plain text affiliate link on content pages? In your experience, what has the best results?

exam, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  5. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Gemini... I'd say that 1%-3% with the real estate related affiliate programs.

cgo85, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  6. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    I see, I generate a LOT of leads with my company web site - 25-30% from unique visitors, but that has nothing to do with affiliates... I wish it had :)
    I would rather had my own form set up that transferred leads directly to the affiliate..

gemini, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  7. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    I see you use HomeGain. They do have a xml feed for the forms that you could use, but the payout is lower, not quite sure how much lower though.

cgo85, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  8. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah, I desided to try HomeGain first, although I know realtors hate HomeGain and other lead generation companies.. I'll try to find out more about the XML feed - I didn't see it no the links list though..

gemini, Feb 5, 2005 IP
  9. Sanzbar

Sanzbar Peon

Best Answers:
    I pulled my CJ stuff after a short test....just couldn't get the consistancy of AdSense...

Sanzbar, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  10. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    To me affiliate programs appear riskier than adsense in the sense that the income may not be as steady, but seem to have the potential for greater earnings as well.

exam, Feb 6, 2005 IP
  11. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    it's been a few days now, I generated around 60 clicks on affiliate links - no leads though, less clicks on Adsense, but more money :D

gemini, Feb 7, 2005 IP
  12. my3cents

my3cents Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experiences, affiliate programs can take up to 6 weeks before you start seeing results due to the batch reporting by the vendors. Some report daily (which is great), but some report monthly. You may think the program is not working, but then 2 months later you get a check for $100 and realize it was working.

It is extremely tough to guage success unless you leave it for at least a month or so. The obvious tradeoff is the time/ad space wasted if the program isn't paying out.

My advice when it comes to affiliate programs is to start small... give them a less valuable ad space on your site for a month. That way you don't lose much if they don't pay, and if they do start to pay, you can integrate them into the more visible sections of the site moving forward.

my3cents, Feb 8, 2005 IP
    cabdirazzaq likes this.
  13. pg20706

pg20706 Peon

Best Answers:
    CJ sucks. You won't get your first check for 3 months.

pg20706, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  14. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    just when i was about to start using CJ heh 3 months is a long time.... :) but i think i will give it a go..

thanks

Juls, Feb 11, 2005 IP
  15. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    so, are saying that I will see the impressions and clicks through stats but I won't see any $$ numbers for at least a month? Because this is exactly what I see right now - 20K impressions, 300 clicks and 0 leads, 0 sales, 0 earnings... :-/

gemini, Feb 16, 2005 IP
  16. mmh3

mmh3 Peon

Best Answers:
    Gemini, you aren't the only one with stats like that.. I feel like going to pay per click and dropping affiliate programs altogether sometimes. I dunno if customers just don't like the shock of being sent to another site that looks different for the sale or what.

I wish the whole industry would go to a "gather the orders at my website, and submit them to retailer" model. Otherwise, I just dunno if I'll ever feel comfortable about all this... not knowing who buys, using cookies, etc... Lot's of things broke in this industry that may not be being fixed anytime soon. Somehow though, all this seems to work for the merchant, or they wouldn't bother doing it.

Anyways, Just my opinion so far into this AM game.. started on about Sept 1st. Only revenues are AdSense.

mmh3, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  17. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    I might wait for another month to see if anything changes - I got over dosen of new registrations on my site yesterday (has nothing to do with affiliates); 19 clicks on adsense and guess what :) - one lead out of 25K impressions and 366 clicks for the whole time with CJ. Will wait a little more.

gemini, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  18. tom22

tom22 Peon

Best Answers:
    I've only started using CJ ads a lot lately, but I think it has a lot to do with choosing the right company/product to advertise. I lucked out a found a good product that is something of interest to my visitors, and pays a -very- good amount per lead. I have noticed a very low CTR, but many of the people that click complete a registration. It seems that if you tell people exactly what they're getting before they click on the ad, they will be much more likely to follow through with a registration. Again, I've only been using CJ for a short period of time so my stats may not be all that accurate for the long-term.

If I just go by how much money I've made per click, CJ is doing much, much, better than AdSense for me so far.

(By the way, does anyone know CJ's policy on giving away specific stats? Is it as strict as AdSense?)

tom22, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  19. gemini

gemini Peon

Best Answers:
    Advertisers don't allow to change their HTML code - which means we can't even adjust the anchor text of the links.. so it has to go the way it is...

gemini, Feb 19, 2005 IP
  20. tom22

tom22 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I was unclear. What I meant was outside their html you can still add things that surrond the ad text and explain the ad more and relate it to your site more, depending on the product.

tom22, Feb 19, 2005 IP