1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Christmas SEO Challenge kicks off - help now

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Dominic, Nov 30, 2004.

You may have read the thread 'SEO Challenge' in which we considered pooling collective resources to take over a major search term.

This page about Christmas has been created as a place holder, for us to throw our collective strength behind and drive up the rankings.

All money raised goes to non-profit orgs working with homeless people on Christmas Day.

Take the time to make a difference - How to help:

Option 1: Add a link to your site using the anchor text 'Christmas' to this page: http://christmas.homeless.org.au

Option 2: [preferred] Create a new page on your site about the topic of Christmas, using the word in the title, headings, body copy, meta tags, etc. Then link from this page using the anchor text 'Christmas' to the project page: http://christmas.homeless.org.au (please limit internal and external links on this page to zero or bare bones - and link to the christmas page).

Obviously some bragging rights will be available to the page which ranks the highest in Google, Yahoo and or MSN for the search 'Christmas' and links to the project page. Not only will you be helping the homeless but creating something you can point to as proof of your tallent / available resources.

Even if you simply want to donate your support and not compete - please create a Christmas page on your site and link to the project page this way.

Please let me know we have your support by emailing: dominic dot mapstone at gmail dot com [please detail the support you have given]

All money raised will go to organisations working with the homeless on Christmas Day.

The site will be developed when the page makes it inside the 200th spot on google.

The goal is to take over the search term 'Christmas' (and several related) by late 2005. Please lend your support now by building a 'Christmas' page.

Dominic, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  2. Dominic

Dominic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's been asked in another forum what difference this could make outside of raising money.

Here is one example: ever worn the same pair of socks for a month? What about for a year or number of years?

Socks are often overlooked by charities working with the homeless - so hopefully we can get thousands of new cotton athletic socks donated in a number of cities around the world and on their feet by next year's christmas.

Thanks for the support recieved to date, please build a Christmas page today and donate links to the campaign.

Dominic, Nov 30, 2004 IP
  3. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    Great, I am in. I will start working on a few pages some time next week.

payoutwindow, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  4. Dominic

Best Answers:
    YAY! Thanks payoutwindow, I was hoping for a lot of support to come from DP forum members.

Who else can help out and donate links from a page about christmas?

Dominic, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  5. payoutwindow

payoutwindow Peon

Best Answers:
    I am sure other people will chip in as well .. plus we got enough time to secure that number 1 spot. The competition also doesn't look that tough.

payoutwindow, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Try e-mailing the current top 25 sites for a link. If I was paying for my own time, I'd do it.

PS Is the site offline? Can't access it with FF.

T0PS3O, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  7. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll help.

Post link info etc...

SEbasic, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  8. Dominic

Best Answers:
    For link info I am going to appeal to your own seo expert knowledge and just let you know we need links to this page (to start with):
    http://christmas.homeless.org.au with the anchor text 'Christmas'

But preferrably I want you to add a page to your site (even if it is only linked from one page like your links page [sitewide if you really want to help]), themed about 'christmas' with minimal internal or external links other than to our project page.

We are looking for links from pages which will rank somewhere in their own right in the serps for 'christmas' I think this will be our best chance at hitting top ten or if we have enough support - number 1.

Dominic, Dec 1, 2004 IP
  9. ^DevelopAll

^DevelopAll Peon

Best Answers:
    I'll chip in;)

So who else will be helping Dominic with administration...?

We'll need at least one more - to keep everything upto date.

GooD Luck to All,

^D

^DevelopAll, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  10. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll help out. Could be fun :)

Infiniterb, Dec 2, 2004 IP
  11. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys.

Kalina donated a design to class our act up! Nice... check it out: Christmas

Dominic, Dec 3, 2004 IP
  12. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    I don't have any designs but added you to my Christmas page

Blogmaster, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  13. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Thanks sitetutor.

I just did a site: search on our homeless site and found we had already used the word 'Christmas' several times. So we converted the mentions of the word 'Christmas' to text links to the Christmas page.

Please do the same, especially if you have a large site and donate (that may have a number of mentions) any mentions of the following words into links to the project:

Christmas - http://christmas.homeless.org.au/
    Christmas Cards - http://christmas.homeless.org.au/christmas-cards.htm

Dominic, Dec 4, 2004 IP
  14. misohoni

misohoni Notable Member

Best Answers:
    How can people donate on the site, where's the paypal button???

misohoni, Dec 9, 2004 IP
  15. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    Site-wide links are up on my blog.

SEbasic, Dec 9, 2004 IP
  16. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Haven't added the paypal buttons yet but if you want to make a donation today the paypal email is: donate at homeless dot org dot au

Thanks SEbasic, great links.

Anyone use the word 'Christmas' in their site naturally and linked it or made a page about christmas for us yet? (pretty please)

Dominic, Dec 10, 2004 IP
  17. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    exam, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  18. Dominic

Best Answers:
    Thanks exam, I really think that links from pages about christmas is gonna be what kicks it along in the serps so ta.

Dominic, Dec 17, 2004 IP
  19. Dominic

Best Answers:
    I added the donation buttons from Paypal today, not sure what you are spending on Christmas this year but if you can spare a small gift please donate today to help get the ball rolling.

This year we are having homeless people around for Christmas lunch to join the regulars at hospitality house. Donations will go to small gifts for all (socks, jocks and clothes) and food for the day.

Thanks for the support and if you aren't able to donate but have the time to add a page to your site about Christmas and link to it from at least one page on your site it would be a great way of donating some links to the campaign.

Dominic, Dec 18, 2004 IP
  20. exam

exam Peon

Best Answers:
    It probably has more links than SEO *rules* allow but hope it helps :)

exam, Dec 20, 2004 IP