1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Christian churches use Jewish symbols to to convert Jews to Jesus

Discussion in 'Politics & Religion' started by KeithCash, Oct 2, 2007.

1. proteindude

proteindude Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You forgot to include the quotes from Tovia Singer or whatever his name is. After all, Jesus has such little credibility that you need countless of organisations with a single purpose and that is to show the wrong about Jesus. Mighty suspicious if you ask me. Why do you need countless of Jewish organisations to disprove who Jesus was?

You don't have that many Jewish organisations trying to disprove anyone else but Jesus. Don't forget, Jews for Jesus was started by a Jewish rabbi not just someone who had no knowledge about Judaism.

proteindude, Oct 4, 2007 IP
  2. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    In my opinino you don't - common sense dictates to me that Christianity is a hard sell if you read enough. But hey, numerous people still believe Barry Bonds didn't take steroids and that OJ isn't guilty. Hitler sold his own story to people who needed someone to blame or something to believe in. The problem is that there is significant money tossing around evangelical material and when people are needy they turn to someone promising them salvation, be it a cult or a warm bed. Respectfully, the effort to convert other people is astounding and, if it were so obvious, one would think that it wouldn't be necessary. We get Jehovah's witnesses at our door every month too. It's not easy to raise children with such efforts made to mind other people's business.

Jesus also had knowledge about Judaism. So did other false prophets. Your logic is way off and if you believe something from someone just because he's one of your own, then let my Christian partner sell you a bridge we have to sell...

THe bottom line is I come here to talk about the web, search engines and the like. The amount of misinformation generated that has nothing to do with the above topics is astounding and is annoying. I'd prefer we stick to technology. Everyone has an opinion on religion, some believe, some don't, but I don't think this is the best forum for evangelical movements or proselytizing.

slinky, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  3. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    PBS has a program on this tonight fri nov 5

pizzaman, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  4. proteindude

Best Answers:
    I see you COMPLETELY side stepped the question which was a very simple one so let me ask it again: "Why do you need countless of Jewish organisations to disprove who Jesus was?" After all, the Jews don't waste any time with other "false prophets" or religions.

Do I sense another side stepping of the question?

proteindude, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  5. debunked

debunked Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    My father in law is a Jew - who is now a Christian. His father also was born again and believes in Jesus. They are Jewish by lineage and belief.

I read some of the Jewish site proclaiming all sorts of 'lies' by Jews for Jesus and find them to be quite funny really. They aren't Christians PRETENDING to be Jews - they are Jews. Symbols are not worshipped in Christianity, so a cross is a reminder not a necessary item. Christians recognize the star of David for what it represents and other "Jewish" symbols are also reminders and pointers to the Messiah, so why wouldn't they been seen in a Christian service? What does Sunday have to do with Christian worship - we are free to worship any day. Basically those Jews who have recognized Christ are free to worship how they did before, they don't need to change those things unless there is something that Christ spoke against.

I think what I am reading in the article posted is just that the writer is very ignorant to Christianity and I don't say that in a bad way. He just doesn't know what he is talking about, simple as that.

That would be like me arguing about the tenets of mormonism or scientology.

debunked, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  6. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    When is the last time you saw a menorah or a Star of David in a church? Do Christians celebrate Passover? Is mass held on Rosh Hashanah or Yom Kippur? Can you eat pork?

Quit acting naive. This group spends numerous millions of dollars specifically designed to convert Jews to Christianity using tactics to pretend like "we're one of you" but Christians are not Jews. I've read them and if you want to debate me, go right ahead but you're in for a rude awakening. I'm familiar with both sides of the coin. It's your right to believe that Jesus was the Messiah but it is completely against the Jewish theology, end of story. If you were Jewish and then proclaim that somehow you were liberated and believe in Jesus, you are Christian, end of story. What about Christians who converted to Islam? Are they still Christians? Of course not. Jews deny that Jesus was the Messiah and, if you do, then you are formerly of a belief in Judaism and now a believer in Christianity.

Actually you may be benefitted by learning more about the tenets of Judaism and how Jewish people feel. It may enable you to be more sensitive to and understanding of the poster's opinion. Perhaps they are funny to you in the same way McCain's calling the United States a "Christian Nation" was "funny" to people who aren't Christian.

slinky, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  7. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    (1) Because Christians spend millions of dollars trying to reach impressionable people to convert them. Why are millions of dollars spent trying to evangelize? Heck, I can't even watch TV on Sunday morning!

(2) Jewish organizations aren't spending any money and don't feel any need to "disprove" something that they clearly believe never happened and was a great story of fiction told in second hand form. Most of them say the same thing and put the same information on their sites for those people curious enough to ask the questions that people here are asking. Given the grossly inaccurate statements I'm reading here about the Bible, it's clear someone has to cut through all the rationalizing and evangelizing.

What question? Why are Jews For Jesus spending millions, putting up billboards all over towns, sending out missionaries to convert Jews to Jesus? Why are they trying so hard to convert Jews to Christianity?

Children are very impressionable and the pamphlets handed out are cutesy and Joe Camel-like, designed to reach a target audience and help them find "friends." It is unfortunately human nature to go for the target market wherever they can to find funding, whether it's impressionable depressed children or older people looking for compassion somewhere in exchange for their currency.

slinky, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  8. debunked

Best Answers:
    Are you asking about churches where gentiles meet or Jews meet? That would be different. As a gentile, the star of David would have no significance in my upbringing, but as a Christian I have an understanding of what the star of David represents.
    Now for my father-in-law being a Jew, he has a menorah and the Star-of David in his house and he read the Bible AND still teaches at both a local synagogue and Christian churches. He has the insight of being Jewish that bring to his teaching many gentile believers can not.

You view them as some sort of advertising for coca-cola, interesting... From what I know of them, if they are following Christ's teachings, they will be spreading the Good News (Gospel) to Jews and gentiles. They have no power to convert anyone, but if God wants to He can.

Jesus is against modern Jewish interpretation of theology, that is true. Paul was one of those who did not believe in Jesus.

Not sure about your comparison exactly.

debunked, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  9. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    That's wonderful but, respectfully, just because your father in law was born into a Jewish family and teaches something doesn't mean he is authority or can engage in a full blown discussion as to why he's suddenly convinced of what he is convinced of. My best friend's girlfriend converted to Judaism from Christianity because she said that nobody could explain to her satisfaction the Trinity when G-d is supposed to be one, the need for any penultimate Messiah, etc. and the lack of comprehension by the overwhelming majority of the origination of the Bible. She learned Hebrew on her own and was shocked at reading some of the interpretations, including Michaelangelo's take on Moses and his horns.

It is Coca-Cola but you just fail to recognize it. If people engaged in casual conversation about religion it's one thing but "spreading G-d's good word" by handing out literature, knocking on doors, purposefully engaging in conversation with the intention to bring people into your house, then you're meddling in other people's business and deliberately marketing to them. People and their families aren't being left alone to teach their children and believe what they want to believe. If G-d wanted people to convert to Christianity he didn't need peddlers to go door to door, put out billboards all over the highways and in train stations and seek out young people to convince them of His Existence. I'm saying this respectfully and think that it makes a legitimate point.

slinky, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  10. pizzaman

pizzaman Active Member

Best Answers:
    pizzaman, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  11. debunked

Best Answers:
    You sure are full of assumptions. My father-in-law is an example. Was that too simple.

See it how you may, I was told by Jesus as a follower to tell all nations about Him and that includes where He started from.

If it takes money to do that, then so be it. Many have lost their lives doing just that. Do I feel bad for you? Sorry, I don't. I can't force people in the US from pushing all the ads - whether billboards, print or verbal to me. I really don't see your point in all of this.

debunked, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  12. proteindude

Best Answers:

Let me see if I get this right: you don't mind Christians (mainly evangelicals) who support Israel, but you mind those who want to save you from eternal damnation. And you are so weak in your faith that are terrified of missionaries.

Just out of curiosity, I drive past sinagogues every now and then and I must say I have NEVER seen them have an" open day"

proteindude, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  13. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    Yes, it was too simple to prove your point but look, we're just having a conversation.

I get it. So you're unsympathetic to other people that the message you like to hear is a constant bombardment to them at every turn. I'm guessing that if the tables were turned and the message of Mohammed was hammered every day in your direction you might be more sympathetic.

slinky, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  14. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    Come again? Where are you quoting this from? This seems to be a uniform issue amongst the same group of evangelists. I'm sure you don't think that the constant bombardment of sexually charged advertising on TV and the Internet presents a challenge to you and your children either. Just like our other poster, you seem to think that Jesus gave the message to convert everyone. What I just read is to let us know. Well, we all know about Jesus and I didn't see any requirement that we have to keep on knowing. I respect other people around me and am considerate as to their desires.

An "open day" - what does this mean? Are you talking about a welcome day for people interested in converting? The Jewish philosophy is that religion isn't a popularity contest or something you should choose based upon peer pressure or because a Bingo sign brought you into a house of worship. If you genuinely want to know more about Judaism, you can walk into a synagogue at any time and I am sure there will be plenty of people who will welcome a sincere desire to know more.

slinky, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  15. debunked

Best Answers:
    Is that what you really think Christians believe?

debunked, Oct 5, 2007 IP
  16. slinky

slinky Banned

Best Answers:
    No. Poker has clearly overtaken Bingo. :p

The question was asked how come Jews aren't evangelizing like everyone else and hanging out the welcome sign to see how many converts they can bring into the fold. As if not hanging a welcome sign is equivalent to hanging a "Trespasser will be shot" sign on the front door. I was just being sarcastic because it's pretty obvious that not hanging the sign doesn't mean "Keep out!" and that people interested will be welcomed. What an absurd conclusion. There are plenty of unscrupulous preachers of all religions merely seeking more paying members and, as a whole, the Jewish philosophy makes it a point of not heading anywhere in this direction. The Jews aren't about knocking on your door and constantly trying to explain to your kids why they've got the G-d question answered incorrectly.

slinky, Oct 6, 2007 IP
  17. frankcow

frankcow Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Unfortunately the Jews seem to be more about tradition that anything else. A famous man named Jesus said that "you make the commands of God invalid by your tradition"

frankcow, Oct 8, 2007 IP
  18. KeithCash

KeithCash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You bring up some very good points. The writer is discussing how some christian are pretending to be Jews with traditions and ceremonies and working on converting them to become a Christians and be upfront with them on what was going on to begin with until they have, I guess earned their trust. What did you do to become a religion expert. Tovia Singer is well know Rabbi that does a radio show every night in Israel. I myself understand something about the Christian religion.

No disrespect debunked, by why did your father-in-law become a christian?

KeithCash, Oct 9, 2007 IP
  19. carl_in_florida

carl_in_florida Active Member

Best Answers:
    I really doubt anyone is actually faking being Jewish to convert jews to Christianity.

My wife and mother-in-law are Jewish by lineage and both have become Christians. I can't speak for my mother-in-law but my wife came to recognize Jesus as the Messiah after she met Him. All this debate is really neat and all but the Jews cannot refute the fact that God stopped talking through the Jewish prophets after Jesus.

Has your God fallen asleep? Or like Elijah said, "Is he on the toilet?" No, He is alive. And He is no respecter of a person's lineage.

carl_in_florida, Oct 10, 2007 IP
  20. debunked

Best Answers:
    No disrespect seen. He met Jesus (of course He wasn't in the flesh) He believes Jesus fulfills the Messianic prophecies, that Jesus is the Messiah and that He will return as promised.

debunked, Oct 10, 2007 IP