1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Choosing a proper domain name for a drones website

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by Paul Hohenzolern, Sep 4, 2015.

Hello.
    I'm not so sure in what forum category I should post this but I thought this is related to marketing a brand so it might be relevant.
    I bought 2 domains:
    dronesgator.com
    dronesbuyer.com
    I want to build a review/affiliate website that should go pretty big in the future and develop into an authority.
    The gator url has the potential to be more brandable I think. Having a mascot like an aligator helpes a bit with people recognising your brand.
    The second one doesn't have a mascot but it describes the website better and might help with search results a bit. It has a clearer intent for what the site represents ( a general buyers guide )

What do you think? Any answer is really appreciated

Paul Hohenzolern, Sep 4, 2015 IP
  2. billzo

billzo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    How does an alligator (or gator) make somebody think of drones? What connection is there? None. By that logic you can pick any word and it would be equally brandable by your standards. droneclown, dronefish, dronechicken, dronemonkey... You are using the plural "drones gator" which is not easy to say, maybe because the singular "dronegator" is already taken? The singular sounds better.

I doubt it. Nobody searching for that is going to use the plural of drones. That domain is junk, too. "Drones buyer" does not sound as pleasant as "drone buyer", and dronebuyer is already taken.

If you are going to associate any "mascot" with a drone, why not something that flies? Who associates a land-based amphibian with a flying drone? Do alligators have wings?

FYI: I ran some domain name ideas through the Namecheap bulk checker and they were all taken. It seems to be a competitive niche, at least for domain squatters.

If you are serious about this, maybe you could buy a good registered domain name from somebody for $100 or so.

I think the two domain options you provided are pretty bad. I think you should get a spreadsheet and brainstorm some ideas for an hour or two and then run them through the Namecheap bulk domain checker 50 at a time. Or try to buy a good one for a reasonable price.

I had a spreadsheet filled with about 800 possibilities before I settled on one domain name once. And I got a pretty good one. It really is that difficult to get a good domain name.

I see people requesting appraisals and opinions of garbage domain names here all the time. I shake my head and wonder what made them think it was a good domain name.

billzo, Sep 4, 2015 IP
    sarahk, Mehdi.b and jrbiz like this.
  3. Ayesh Kevin

Ayesh Kevin Member

Best Answers:
    you could use domains like dronrehawk.xyz,droneeagle.one this is my opinion always try to use singuler in domains

Ayesh Kevin, Sep 6, 2015 IP
  4. Abelo

Abelo Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't recommend following this advice. Dronrehawk.xyz... really? I'll look passed the spelling mistake and assume that you meant dronehawk.xyz, which I wouldn't recommend even if it was a .com domain. Same goes for droneeagle.com.

An option to find decent domain names with the word 'drone' in it would be to go to Godaddy auctions. You can look through the expiring sections and see if anything you like is being dropped. If not, try namepros. A domain forum. I'm afraid all the good domains you'll come up with will already be taken. Goodluck!

Abelo, Sep 6, 2015 IP
  5. Mehdi.b

Mehdi.b Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have a question, do you know anything about branding? Why do you thin an alligator as a mascot would be good for a drone business, although you can make that work with very hard work but it is not the best practice.
    It is good that you have a vision to turn it into an authority but for an authority you need to be taken seriously and with those names I doubt that happening anytime soon.
    Also you need to work on content alot more that what you are putting into the domain name, grab an easy to understand domain name which relates to the business and
    is not difficult to type out. Also if you are just a review website why would you call yourself Dronss BUYER?

Good luck anyway

Mehdi.b, Sep 6, 2015 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I agree on the drone versus drones comments - if I was looking to buy a drone I'd be thinking drone and not drones when I search

The gator looks like you'd be begging for a trademark infringement and that you're leveraging hostgator's success. Unless your surname is "Gator" I'd steer well clear.

FWIW droneauthority is available for lots of domain extensions. And you can still have a mascot.

sarahk, Sep 6, 2015 IP
  7. briguy

briguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Forget the gator mascot idea..think of something like a dragonfly or something that can hover like a drone.
    Dragonflydrones not a bad name either...
    personally I would get another domain name, no offense but the two you picked are blah and boring
    Anyway just my opinion.

briguy, Sep 6, 2015 IP
  8. Leilani Sniffen

Leilani Sniffen Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Try these websites that can try and help you pick domain names that are available. The first one will come up with all kinds of combinations. Some will sound corny, but it spurs your imagination to think of a great domain name. Even the second, but it returns with a smaller listing.

http://www.leandomainsearch.com/
    http://www.domaincavern.com/index_type.php

Hope this helps.

Leilani

Leilani Sniffen, Sep 18, 2015 IP
  9. angelica c

angelica c Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Where are you in the process!?
    Drones Index is a quite neutral name... and such name doesn't indicate any specific topic.
    Maybe it's good, because drones are not always a positive term. It all depends who you ask and in what context!
    Also!
    Don't forget! Content is king!!
    What is Google without content? Yet another Internet index...! :)

angelica c, Sep 20, 2015 IP