1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Choosing a domain with the keyword or branded name?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by Kartelito, Nov 7, 2013.

?

Choosing a domain with the keyword or brand?

1. It's good domain contains a keyword

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Branded name with good SEO

1 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. It does not matter if it is well optimized

3 vote(s)
    100.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
    Hello ,

I will open a new online store and have a dilemma what to choose domain .
    One option is to choose a domain name containing the keyword and the other option is to think of a good name to impose it as a brand .

Imposition as a brand is very difficult and is built over the years . Of course that as optimization and deep presence in search engines takes time , but it seems to me that if there is a keyword in the domain name , then you will have more visitors at the beginning than the other option.

I want to say that I am a supporter of good, quality optimization and website will have plenty of content and thousands of products with different names and descriptions, as well as blog with articles.

Give me advice on what to do?

Thanks in advance!

Kartelito, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  2. dcristo

dcristo Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    Depends on your efforts. If you truly want to build a brand then get a brandable domain, otherwise get a keyword domain name.

dcristo, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  3. Kartelito

Kartelito Member

Best Answers:
    certainly, if we are manufacturers domain will be branded, but we will offer a variety of products from different manufacturers and partners.

4. khemraj

khemraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Think of a good domain name which is easy to remember. Optimize and promote it well to make it a brand. Keywords domains are not in fashion now and looks so cheap, even Google also doesn't like keyword domain and started penalizing such domain (EMD)

khemraj, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  5. Kartelito

Kartelito Member

Best Answers:
    This is the opinion that will point me in the right direction. Thinking straight is right and I agree totally with you.

My other question :
    How could influence consumer, name which is very close to another very famous name, but also very different niches?

For example: If I give the name of my online shop for clothes - www.Ronalda.com and it is so close to the sound and spelling Ronaldo (Cristiano Ronaldo)...

6. khemraj

khemraj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This can be a good strategy but can prove to be negative as well, people who try to associate it with Ronaldo may feel misguided, if got to know that your brand name has nothing to with any of the celebrity, what say? So you better think of very generic name which is very easy to remember and can be associated with nature of your business, it can even be a bit of contrasted name but the name must be appealing

khemraj, Nov 7, 2013 IP
  7. ryan_uk

ryan_uk Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    That's garbage that makes no sense. In your other post you also went on about Bluehost with garbage comments.

A redirect - not parking - would allow you to handle multiple domains to one site. What you are suggesting - parking (look up what domain parking actually is) - won't do anything useful.

@OP, choose your own brand that is unique. Avoid riding off other people's names and brands as this will only bring you problems (just a UDRP if you're lucky).

Go with a brand. Google likes brands and anyone can make a brand.

ryan_uk, Nov 12, 2013 IP
    malky66 likes this.
  8. RosuC

RosuC Active Member

Best Answers:
    As well, try to register "TM" your Brand if you don't want to be stolen after 1 month of publishing your website. Even if you're registered in your country with the brand name is not enough, you must do it international and secure it. Otherwise you may have some nice surprises :)

RosuC, Nov 12, 2013 IP
  9. Kartelito

Kartelito Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,

Thanks for support.

Whats can to be my next Right steps?

First to register TM or i can to starting my online shop, then to process registration of TM ( because registration process is within 5-10 months, i think)?

I have already registered a domain with two words.

I do not want to share the domain yet, but I can give you an example:
    If my domain is weartrapper.com can be challenged by the owner of the mark trapp to wear?

Also i will made official request to legal TM registrator.

Thanks in advance.

Kartelito, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  10. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    You don't need to register your trademark, but you should check it's not in use by anyone else. You need to weigh up whether it is worth it at this point or better to register if your website is a success (i.e. making you money). Keep in mind the money you pay is an application fee and you aren't guaranteed a successful registration. Do some research first.

ryan_uk, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  11. RosuC

RosuC Active Member

Best Answers:
    The TM registration is a must if you want to use it in your advertising. As Ryan said you don't need to register if you don't feel in danger, but is a plus safety for sure. The registration can be challenged in many ways so only register and let the process to run further.
    About the shop - you should start it and monetize it as fast as possible :) if is ready of course

RosuC, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  12. Kartelito

Kartelito Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you!
    As i said in my previous post if my domain is weartrapper.com can be challenged by the owner of the mark trapp to wear?

13. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Consult a lawyer.

However, my general advice would be: if your domain contains a TM, then don't use it! Come up with your own original and unique brand. It seems like you are wilfully infringing.

ryan_uk, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  14. Kartelito

Kartelito Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, i will do it. Thank you.

15. alex06295

alex06295 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Choosing a domain name based on keyword is good in liquidation but any brand name can be your favorite but not for others..

alex06295, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  16. Kartelito

Kartelito Member

Best Answers:
    Hey, but why are there so many registered trade marks containing the word ''DRESS'' ? - FROM THE SAME CLASS - FOR SALE OF CLOTHING
    http://www.tmview.europa.eu/tmview/welcome.html

17. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    It's such a common word, no-one could claim "dress" exclusively. You can use other words as part of your business/domain name, but you can't go using someone else's brand/TM. For example, "shoes" is a common word, but you couldn't have a company called Nike Shoes or register it as a TM. Do you get it now?

ryan_uk, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  18. Kartelito

Kartelito Member

Best Answers:
    Okay, this is so. I see a rap icon 2pac there are so many trademarks - 2Pac, 2-Pac, 2 pac - 2pac collection, etc.

By this logic, Do I have reason to be worried if my domain has two words - dress killer . com ?.. provided that there are several similar dress kill

19. ryan_uk

Best Answers:
    Well, "killer dresses" would be better, but to answer your question it's not registered as a TM and no one seems to be using it as a TM, so it should be fine.

ryan_uk, Nov 13, 2013 IP
  20. Webcenter

Webcenter Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to make money fast than go with a domain that contains a TM, beware that you can get in troubles once your site ranks 1st on Google pages for major keywords of TM.

Is good if you wanna make quick bucks, is not good because you get in troubles. You make the choice now!

Webcenter, Nov 13, 2013 IP