1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Checking duplicate content wth copyscape?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by superflytrainer, Nov 10, 2006.

Stupid question but you just copy and paste bits of the articles into the serach bar of copyscape to check for duplicate content correct? Then how come duplicate content never shows up, i copy and pasted bits of pieces i found online into copyscape and it found no duplicate content, why is this? Thanks

superflytrainer, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  2. kh7

kh7 Peon

Best Answers:
    Sounds like copyscape doesn't have the content google has.

kh7, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  3. tke71709

tke71709 Peon

Best Answers:
    Seeing as Copyscape has a special API key that uses Google's services I think they have access to everything that Google has.

tke71709, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  4. superflytrainer

superflytrainer Peon

Best Answers:
    Its wierd, it seems that everything i copy and paste onto:http://www.copyscape.com/ allows pass, anyone else recommends any other duplicate content softwares? I use http://plagium.com/ but it doesnt seem that reliable.

superflytrainer, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  5. gr8liverpoolfan

gr8liverpoolfan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    gr8liverpoolfan, Nov 10, 2006 IP
  6. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Pat Gael, Nov 12, 2006 IP
  7. axlarry

axlarry Notable Member

Best Answers:
    stupid question : say you find someone duplicate your articles, then what? Is he gonna be in trouble?

axlarry, Nov 12, 2006 IP
  8. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    Depends on you.

You can request removal of the content, you can try to get the site pay for your plagiarized articles, or start any other action against the offender.

Basically, the first step is contact people using such content because sometimes they are not the offender, but the victims of someone else who sold your content as their "original", or because they could find your content elsewhere when the real offender is using it.

9. ablaye

ablaye Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Asking someone to remove stolen content when they are overseas is very difficult because they know u can't sue them. You could contact their web host and the major search engines if they refuse to remove the stolen content.

ablaye, Nov 12, 2006 IP
  10. Pat Gael

Pat Gael Banned

Best Answers:
    That is a true fact indeed, but as I said, sometimes the offender is using your content due to ignorance.

If you send a friendly letter explain him/her, might work in first intance.

Otherwise you will find that such website's owner is the offender and you can proceed accordingly.

11. axlarry

axlarry Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you contact search engines, they would ban the site? I mean, they won't index the site w/ the stolen content?

axlarry, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  12. XandroZ

XandroZ Peon

Best Answers:
    Google obviously has several billion pages in it's database and could, it appears, easily determine if content is duplicated, but let's begin with the technical side of things. You've got domain x and domain y with exactly the same content. How on earth would Google be able to figure that out?
    Let's say Google had 3 billion pages in it's database. To compare every page to every page would be an enormous task - quadrillions of comparisons.
    Not only is the task enormous, but the benefit is so tiny as to be insignificant.

There are several reasons for duplicate content which have nothing to do with spamming:

Mirroring for region - Sometimes site mirroring is done simply to make it more efficient on the internet backbone itself. You might put an identical copy of a site in Europe, for example, to reduce traffic across the Atlantic, which should make it faster in European countries.

Different domain names - Sometimes a site might be referenced on many different domain names. You might want to allow the .com, .net and .org versions of the name to all work the same, you might allow for common misspellings or you might cover different keywords

Did anybody notice how there are all these article directories with identical pages? Which one got penalized and how?

I publish an article which I put on my PR0 site. Somebody with a PR6 site picks it up and publishes it too. Surprise, they get indexed and I don’t.
    And then where is the duplicate content filter.So I think the Authority sites get the benefit from this.

XandroZ, Nov 13, 2006 IP
  13. dellux

dellux Peon

Best Answers:
    thats the matter

dellux, Nov 13, 2006 IP