1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Check inline ad running

Discussion in 'Digital Point Ads' started by felix, Jun 5, 2015.

I had an inline ad that was only getting 8 or 9 clicks a day. So I created a new one with the original keywords plus a whole load more, which had been approved and enabled. I have also disabled the original inline ad. Since doing this 2 days ago I have had zero clicks on the new ad, which makes no sense. Please can you check it all looks OK.

felix, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    digitalpoint, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  3. felix

felix Active Member

Best Answers:
    I'd rather not post them here, but for the new ad I picked the 3 that were getting the few clicks on the original ad ( the rest were all 0% as they are too expensive) and then added a load of long tail keywords which are 75%. I know not many long tail keywords will match but I would at least still expect to be getting a handful of clicks from the 3 original keywords which should be displaying 15% of the time.

felix, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  4. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Do the long tail keywords have popular short tail keywords within them? The system will never place more than 1 link as per post, so indirectly you are competing with the short tail version bids. For example, you can't have a post with the string, "San Diego web hosting" without that post containing just "web hosting" or "hosting".

5. felix

felix Active Member

Best Answers:
    So although it shows I have a 75% or 15% chance of getting my ad displayed in reality there no chance of it being displayed while there are other people paying silly money for ads on single words within my key phrases.

This means to get an ad displayed I have to use single keywords and try to outbid the already over priced bids, which would never give me a good ROI. If I use longer keywords that do not contain these highly bidded single words then they are either not very well targeted (so unlikely to convert) or so obscure they are unlikely to ever come up in a post so give no worthwhile traffic.

felix, Jun 5, 2015 IP
  6. digitalpoint

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    The chance is based on competition with the exact phrase, but correct... since it's impossible to have a post with "keyword1 keyword2" without *just* keyword1 or keyword2, it can be an issue. We've thought about allowing 1 extra keyword link ad in posts that is strictly long tail, but in testing it was rather annoying because it effectively doubled the number of ads within each post.