1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cheapest and Best domain registrant and hosting place in U.S ?

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by bluegill_catcher, Feb 3, 2006.

ok so what is the cheapest and best domain name registrant and website host in the U.S. ? I was told yahoo.com is the best, as there only like $9.00 a month for a website and domain registrant.

I need (want) U.S.A sites only.....

My current host is also my isp, he charges $30 a month and offers NO Php or mysql support

bluegill_catcher, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  2. muchacho

muchacho Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    It's a good idea that you choose two differents companies, one for registering domains and other for hosting.

For example, Godaddy.com and Lunarpages.com

muchacho, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  3. debare

debare Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I love GoDaddy (aff coded) with it's $1.99 domains and $3.95 a month hosting packages (includes PHP and MySQL). I have always found their tech support responsive. We've purchased and transferred hundreds of domains thru them and been happy with the process. At $30 a month you're paying way tooooo much!

debare, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  4. jg123

jg123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Cheap and Hosting don't go together well, with hosting you need to look at value. I don't think you would have much luck with the cheapest hosting around.

jg123, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  5. subseo

subseo Guest

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Godaddy is great for domains, but as far as webhosting is concerned, I have heard way too many complaints about not working with certain php scripts.

I'm with QualityHostOnline.com and it works for me so far (1year). Many people here recommend ASmallOrange.com, too.

subseo, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  6. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I use godaddy for registering and for some very basic hosting.

jestep, Feb 3, 2006 IP
  7. aboyd

aboyd Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I use GoDaddy for registering my domains, and I use www.site5.com to host those domains. Site5 will let you cluster all your domains onto 1 $21/month account, so if you have 25 domains, it's less than $1/month for each.

-Tony

aboyd, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  8. ScottBannon

ScottBannon Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    GoDaddy is a solid domain registrar. My own company provides domains for clients and uses their services often. We've been doing business with them since 2000.

If you plan to operate multiple sites (now or in the future) then something like what Tony described earlier is a good deal. It's essentially a "reseller" account but you aren't actually reselling the hosting, just using it for yourself. Most quality hosts offer these or something similar and $20 is an average starting price range for them.

If you look around you'll find some hosts who offer free domains as incentive to host with them. These are great deals but make sure the host doesn't hold domains hostage if you try to leave their service and clearly states that you may switch hosts with control of your domain at any time.

Some may require you stay at least a month or two, or else pay for the domain registration. This is to avoid abuse by people signing up with no intention of hosting there, just getting the free domain and then taking off. That's not unreasonable (in my opinion) as long as they aren't requiring a long term commitment.

Reputable hosts don't play the "you can leave but we're keeping your domain name" game, but some poor hosts have done this. Just read the host's TOS (terms of service) and ask them flat out about their policy.

Good luck,
    Scott

ScottBannon, Feb 4, 2006 IP
  9. AWD1

AWD1 Peon

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I'm going to join the GoDaddy crowd for the domain registration.

Punch in "GoDaddy Coupon Codes" on Google and you'll find a bunch of discounts too.

As far as hosting goes, I'm not sure about how they handle PHP because I don't know it.

But I do know the host very well having been with them for almost 4 years.

Sectorlink (sectorlink.com)...I don't have the length of time required yet to add a link or I would.

Hardcore uptime (I haven't been down on my dedicated box since I got it in December, and before that as a shared customer I was only down once for 2 hours during a hard drive crash...stuff happens though.)

Great support and service (they answer questions that I have that most hosts give me hell for).

Pricing is pretty reasonable too. It's not the cheapest, but on the other hand it's not the cheapest.

AWD1, Feb 4, 2006 IP