1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Cheap Article Writer or the Not-so-cheap Writing Company?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by sebastianrs, Apr 2, 2007.

1. YoungSmeagol

YoungSmeagol Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    $15 seems kind of cheap for a professional site.

Well, I'm thinking about buying some articles just to submit to article submission sites for the backlinks.

Just a little experiment.

I would try both a few times just to see if there are any differences between the two. If one gets picked up by website owners more than another I will go with that one.

If they both get piss poor results then I guess I will go with the cheaper one (if any).

And of course I would run them through copyscape.

All I could do is get a few samples and make a comparison. There is nothing that they could say to me that would insure the quality of their work.

YoungSmeagol, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  2. sebastianrs

sebastianrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    Probably true. But if you intend to do long-term business with them and work on various projects, you surely want to know more about how the company handles your projects, don't you?

sebastianrs, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  3. latoya

latoya Active Member

Best Answers:
    I don't believe past posts should be used as the sole hiring factor for a writer (or a firm), but you can at least tell the basics - if that writer can write coherent sentences and has command of the English language.

latoya, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  4. MaryMary

MaryMary Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    That was my point exactly Latoya, thanks for putting it in plain English!:D

Mary

MaryMary, Apr 7, 2007 IP
  5. InteligentSeo

InteligentSeo Peon

Best Answers:
    I am interested by your offer..Please don't hesitate and contact me !
    I have good skills accomplishments!!!

InteligentSeo, Apr 27, 2007 IP
  6. manchesterguy

manchesterguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    a 400 word article for 3 pounds? are you guys nuts or what?

don't you appreciate the nobility of your labour? the minimum wage rate is roughly 6 pounds an hour. The copywriting charges should be AT LEAST 25 pounds an hour.

For two hours labour that's 50 pounds or US dollars 100. If you're generous, make that 100 USD per article but not less than that...else you'd be belittling yourself and the entire craft!

manchesterguy, Apr 27, 2007 IP
  7. articlewriter

articlewriter Guest

Best Answers:
    @ MaryMary

Good advice on checking peoples' posts to gauge their writing quality. I have read a few posts on here that were from "writers" offering writing services, but their posts had spelling errors, grammar issues, etc.

articlewriter, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  8. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
     Greetings. First, I'd go with custom samples from both the firm and the individual writer. Then, you can decide which custom sample qualifies for your standards regarding originality and overall quality (plus technical accuracy and writing style, of course). But I'd still go for the firm in case the overall quality
    and originality of the firm's output are at par with the individual writer's work since with a firm - you are assured of constant updates, round-the-clock communications, and above all: high quality since firms usually have high standard impositions and editing/proofreading/originality/technical accuracy/overall quality assurance procedures which come bundled with its services. This is probably the main reason why firms charge more for their services.

ZeroInfinity, Jun 3, 2007 IP
  9. butternyk

butternyk Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    check the samples. words speaks the truth

butternyk, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  10. CopyExpert

CopyExpert Peon

Best Answers:
    sebastianrs, you should also bear in mind that for some writers and countries $7 per article is not that 'dirt' cheap. So why people tend to think that the more they pay, the higher quality they are guaranteed? As it is not always so.
    Yet again, what is the best way for a beginner to entice customers when their portfolio still leaves much to be desired - if not with the low bid? :)
    I mean, one may be sure they are good, but how to prove it with no evidence? We all start some time!
    A question to all: would you risk hiring an unexperienced but talented author for little money?

CopyExpert, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  11. moneybully

moneybully Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that you should just go to independant ppl, like me for example I charge accordingly. I want to build my portfolio, just when figuring a price for big jobs input labor to do those articles

so you have 100 words for a buck then had 2 more pennies to constitute the labor

moneybully, Jun 4, 2007 IP
  12. lkj

lkj Peon

Best Answers:
    don't forget that these "companies" very OFTEN outsource the job to a different freelancers, pray and hope they assign the job to a normal writer, not a nooob ;)

lkj, Jun 4, 2007 IP
    moneybully likes this.
  13. forumbabz

forumbabz Guest

Best Answers:
    Dear sebastianrs you speak that it is cheap 7 $ one article of 500 words. this is one grave errors that you do.

One cheap article is 2 $ for 500 words. Dear Sebastrnars there are company that pay the person few money ( in india one good writer earn from 160 $ ) and earn very money.

you do the count that one writer can do 10 article to day ( or more ).

One company with on writer earn do 70 $ ( 20 $ for the writer and 50 $ for the company ).

if one company have 10 writers, the company do in one month 8000 $ to month .

I think that form now it is right to ask price of the article of 3 $ or 2 $.

if after they are student, we should to ask of less.

forumbabz, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  14. sebastianrs

sebastianrs Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think it's time to elaborate upon the idea and respond to all the open questions and comments. Hopefully, this will give you a glance at what this original thread was about and what it had implied.

manchesterguy:
    When you say minimum 6 pounds per hour, you already imply two things:
    * When the hourly rate is 6 pounds, and you only need like half an hour for a simple keyword article, that would be 3 pounds per article then, roughly, wouldn't it?
    * Moreover, you imply that the overall quality and your experience in writing is at least average. That is certainly not always the case with beginning writers or those who are on a whim.

ZeroInfinity:
    I agree. More on this on another comment...

CopyExpert:
    I appreciate your comment though I don't agree to all points here. The writers in countries who would not charge $7 per article, probably only $5 or $3, are more often countries where English is not their native language. If, however, these writers are in the middle of beginning to build reputation, then I'd understand why they wouldn't charge $7+. Nonetheless, there are at least as many bad apples in the garden as there are good ones - including all writers (err apples) that charge up to approx. $7. That said, if you have time to analyze and evaluate the results of your new writers, why not do it.

The benefit of a (serious) company becomes clear though: As ZeroInfinity explained, "you are assured of constant updates, round-the-clock communications, and above all: high quality since firms usually have high standard impositions and editing/proofreading/originality/technical accuracy/overall quality assurance procedures which come bundled with its services."

You can only be sure of that if you have a not-so-cheap, experiences, and long-term writer on your "own team". So to your question "would you risk hiring an unexperienced but talented author for little money?" Yes, if money is very short and time is not. No, if I don't want to care about the new writers, and I am willing to spend money for the additional "benefits" offered by serious firms.

lkj:
    Companies DO either outsource or hire in-house writers. I don't see much difference though if the outsourced writers are managed appropriately and the results are the same. In-house writers might be just as "noobish" as outsourced writers - it really doesn't matter. What does matter is the hiring process of the company.

As I previously said, I don't talk about hidden or wannabe companies, I talk about serious writing firms. The wannabe companies often have only the following:
    * a website (short and concise, probably unprofessional),
    * a few outsourced cheap writers,
    * one person who forwards projects right away to these cheap writers in hope of being delivered the results to send to the client (again in hope that the quality is satisfactory).

forumbabz:
    Tough nut. First of all, we have to draw our own conclusions whether the quality standards met by Indian writers are acceptable at worst. I can tell from experience that very good, near to perfect Indian writers wouldn't charge only two bucks either. Moreover, as previously stated, I don't talk about companies that simply take 70% of the revenue generated and distribute the rest among writers. A serious company - in western standards - must meet certain qualifications, including, but not limited to, all the things mentioned by ZeroInfinity.

sebastianrs, Jun 5, 2007 IP
  15. ZeroInfinity

ZeroInfinity Banned

Best Answers:
     Greetings. Upon reading through the entirety of this thread, I noticed an element which someone considered as a crucial factor in determining the quality of a firm's services: client list. I do not agree at a certain extent to this claim since most, if not all, professional/serious firms would have a legally binding contract with each client that superimposes a general agreement between the firm and the client - included thereof presents the legal right of clients to withold information on their purposes for the content. This means that most of these professional/serious firms are restricted to show off the actual names/sites/etc. of their clients. Thanks.

ZeroInfinity, Jun 6, 2007 IP
    sebastianrs likes this.
  16. cutiger95

cutiger95 Peon

Best Answers:

In reality this is exactly the problem with article authorship on many different levels. As some know and some don't know I run a forum posting company. We employ many different writers and skill sets to post on forums. In the past month alone we have posted on 30+ forums. However without the owners consent I cannot provide that list to you.

We also write customized content and submission articles for these clients, and believe it or not we pay our writers more than $7 per article. In general the profit for my company is restricted to my making a small amount of money and 2/3 of all intake transfered to our writers prior to any costs of doing business.

Now the service provided by the company is two fold. If I am an individual with simply a forum log-in then you could have issues with any back charges that you need to excercise. Now since I am a company and have a website with which you can locate me I have to be exceedingly careful in how I treat my clients. So therefore if you are unhappy I have to do one of two things.
    1) Issue a refund to you and cancel the contract (your out time but not money)
    2) Return the article to the writer or a second writer for repair.

So honestly if I needed to purchase articles for my own use I would go with the firm. They are having to live up to an expectation, the individual does not as the risk of you righting up "Joe Brown" on a blog bares little to no reflection on the individual. Now if you are an individual that maintains your own website then I classify you as a firm as you have real estate to protect.

It's late and I am rambling, I think I will leave the writing to the writers and I will stick with advertising and traffic generation.

cutiger95, Jun 8, 2007 IP
  17. kc8ual

kc8ual Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know about the other writers out there, but I for one do not copy or rewrite. I get very bored here in the Philippines since it is very different from any major city State Side that I have ever lived in. But as for dirt cheap I know about that. LOL. I personally only charge by the 8 hour day and not by the word. I guess you can do the math and get a rough estimate. I go by Philippine wages and not US wages so therefore I am able to work an 8 hour day in front of the computer for only $5 US Dollars. I know it is dirt cheap, but if you have a problem with that you would have to take it up with my Filipina wife who insisted that i cannot, in any way shape or form, charge more than that a day.
    Then there is the problem with PayPal. I have an account that I opened here in the Philippines, but unfortunately I can only send and not receive money, so I have lost alot of possible business due to the fact that I can only receive via Western Union. In most cases, however, I have my clients take the WU fee out of the total and do not tell my wife this.
    SHHH....
    She would be terribly upset if she knew.
    The fees by themselves are enough to cover 2 days worth of dinner.
    LOL
    I have to go for now though, one of the neighbors woke up my 4 day old and I have to go out and give him a lecture on cursing in public.
    Best Regards,
    Nick

kc8ual, Jun 8, 2007 IP