1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Characters in Page Tile

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by ResaleBroker, Jul 23, 2004.

I recently noticed when searching throug Google a couple of different sites that made their title stand out with these characters: ¤ Mydomain.com ¤

Does it make a difference one way or the other if you do this?

ResaleBroker, Jul 23, 2004 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    If you search for such a character: http://www.google.co.uk/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&q=¤ is seems to be the same results as when you click the search button with no phrase at all. So te me it seems like Google discards them from the search phrase. So from G's perspective, they won't help and I doubt they will hurt. From a consumer perspective, yes they do stand out so it might attract more people but personnaly, I tend to associate these things with 12 to 15 year old girls on MSN Messenger... In other words, not very professional! Just my opinion.

T0PS3O, Jul 23, 2004 IP
  3. schlottke

schlottke Peon

Best Answers:
    You can sometimes seem them show up, though its not very common.. or useful

schlottke, Jul 23, 2004 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Google dropped certain characters from the title intentionally. In december they started dropping the â–º from titles because it was being way overused to grab people's attention for example.

digitalpoint, Jul 23, 2004 IP
  5. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    looking for a host, I checked out Clara.net. I was a but surprised finding their title are all like this: c l a r a . n e t with the useless spaces. Don't they want to get found I thought?

What struck me was that this google search here c l a r a gices the exact same results as the search here clara .

Letter by letter phrases are treated differently than word by word phrases.

Strange to say the least. What would be the reasoning behind this?

T0PS3O, Jul 30, 2004 IP
  6. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Even stranger:

clara . net
    United Kindom : France : Deutschland : España. © 2003 Claranet Limited: About Us.
    www.clara.net/ - 5k - 28 Jul 2004 - Cached - Similar pages

In the SERPs G decides to show it without the spaces, apart from those next to the . :S

T0PS3O, Jul 30, 2004 IP
  7. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    My "favorite" for this type of stuff is my longest car page - try punching that term into Yahoo or MSN and it's a pretty cool title tag if I do say so myself ... unfortunately, as Shawn points out, Google excluded certain characters a while back so doesn't look at cool there.

I actually think this probably HURTS you in the SERP's since your keyword isn't as "focused" ... but for that page, I think it's worth it and adds to the page itself.

hulkster, Jul 30, 2004 IP
  8. paulhiles

paulhiles Guest

Best Answers:
    I wanted to ask Shawn whether or not certain characters in the page title could reduce the effectiveness of keywords. Recently, I heard that commas and pipes are considered to be separators in between keyword phrases, so it was advisable to remove them, thereby increasing the possible permutations - any thoughts on this?

paulhiles, Jul 31, 2004 IP
  9. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  10. hulkster

hulkster Peon

Best Answers:
    Check out my halloween page ... which includes some psuedo-jack-o-lanterns! ;-)

hulkster, Aug 19, 2004 IP
  11. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    I thought you guys in that region of the US had some troubles finding enough energy at times.. I think I just found why...

T0PS3O, Aug 19, 2004 IP