1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing Static Website to Wordpress - .html pages ranking dilemma

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by andy.flintoff5, Mar 1, 2015.

Hey guys,

from an SEO point of view, what is the best way to change a static website to wordpress, while preserving the original .html URLs of the pages?

I assume forcing redirection, (through .htaccess or whatever), has its negatives (SEO-wise). Or is it not the case?

Would much rather prefer to keep the URLs as they are (.html), but without using a method that would sacrifice existing SERPs rankings.

Thanks.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
    andy.flintoff5, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  2. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    You can preserve the .html using apache mod_rewrite, though going forward it's a pretty "hacky" solution. You will lose a bit of link juice but you should 301 redirect the html pages to the new ones. It will be better in the longrun imo.

PDD, Mar 1, 2015 IP
  3. deepakrajput

deepakrajput Member

Best Answers:
    No...HTML OR WordPress doesn't matters in ranking, if you have quality content & backlinks for your website..HTML can rank better than WordPress.

deepakrajput, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  4. Kushal Shah

Kushal Shah Active Member

Best Answers:
    Wordpress or static doesn't matters when it comes to rankings. If your website has good quality links, it will bounce back soon even if the URL doesn't have .html in it.

Kushal Shah, Mar 2, 2015 IP
  5. andy.flintoff5

andy.flintoff5 Active Member

Best Answers:
    And 301 redirect won't affect rankings? Does Google look favorably towards it?

andy.flintoff5, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  6. andy.flintoff5

Best Answers:
    True, but Google de-ranked my site told and me that I need to make it mobile friendly in order for them to rank it up again. The problem is it's a huge site with so many pages built on static. That's a lot of work. Might as well just change to a responsive WP theme.

7. andy.flintoff5

Best Answers:
    That's promising. Not sure how long it'd really take though. But it also sounds a lil risky.

8. PDD

PDD Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yeah, it's just telling google the page moved. You don't lose link juice if you 301 to the same domain.

PDD, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  9. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can make Wordpress have URLS like mydomain.com/article.html. Depending upon your existing site, you may not have to have any pages "move".

YMC, Mar 6, 2015 IP
  10. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    if you want to change url structure then you should 301-redirect old pages to the new ones.

but if you want your WP posts to have .html extension then you should go Setting ->Permalinks in WP admin and set 'Customer Structure' -> '/%postname%.html'. So this way you will have posts like MyWPSite.com/post.html.

praetserge, Mar 7, 2015 IP
  11. Ethan Alvin

Ethan Alvin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You should look at the long term benefits of switching to Wordpress. Don't let the short term dip cloud your judgment as quality content will get you right back up. I'm currently using 301 redirects to ensure that my visitors don't get lost because of my site restructure. Google values that as well - user experience + crawling.

Ethan Alvin, Mar 8, 2015 IP
  12. King-Servers

King-Servers Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I had same dilemma while changing WordPress site into html site.

King-Servers, Mar 8, 2015 IP
  13. Kushal Shah

Kushal Shah Active Member

Best Answers:
    @andy.flintoff5 You might wanna consider buying services from a digital agency. Need quotations? I can help!

Kushal Shah, Mar 13, 2015 IP