1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing .htm .html TO .php

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by ian_ok, Jan 10, 2005.

I'm planning to change my site from a .html to .php so to make it easier to update menu's etc.

Anyhow my host doesn't allow .htaccess on the plan that I'm on, so this is what I'm planning and hope it won't cause problems with the bot's and lower my rank.

Change a few pages a week from html to php, but still keep the .html and have a notice saying moved to www.....com/newfile.php

Thanks for any feedback.

Ian

ian_ok, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  2. david_sakh

david_sakh Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, one of my pages was ranked #9 for a certain keyword, but when I changed the extension and did exactly what you did, it has since disappeared off the top 10, and the php version hasn't risen to replace it. But maybe it's just going to take time....

david_sakh, Jan 10, 2005 IP
  3. ManageMyServices

ManageMyServices Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't realise thisd would have that effect. I figure if you just replace all the links in one swoop it's re-index and get rid of all the outdated ones. It's all the same content afterall..

ManageMyServices, Jan 12, 2005 IP
  4. chachi

chachi The other Jason

Best Answers:
    If you are going to do it that way, I would only do it with a 301 redirect...since you don't have .htaccess, I would find a new host. You can then just setup your server to parse php inside your .htm/.html pages. Done.

chachi, Jan 12, 2005 IP
  5. expat

expat Stranger from a far land

Best Answers:
    As chachi said it is easier to just have htm html interpreted as this requires no change to any of your existing structure and code.
    If you rename you will most probably loose position & pr for a bit the same that may happen when you change host.
    Thus this maybe a good time to change host which gives you all you need and a good upgrade path for the future rather than change all the links names and what have you not (there are always some loose ends...)
    M

PS ask your host what it cost to have htm html interpreted as php (should be free)

expat, Jan 12, 2005 IP
  6. ian_ok

ian_ok Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm not my host. Guess I'll wait until my deal expires and change host.

Thanks

Ian

ian_ok, Jan 12, 2005 IP
  7. expat

Best Answers:
    well don't forget to start this about 30-6- days before there are threads here how to best switch host.

M

PS I don't know what deal you're on but with decent starterhosting from $4 or CAD5 a month there is no reason to wait IMHO

expat, Jan 13, 2005 IP
  8. ian_ok

ian_ok Peon

Best Answers:
    Expat,

Thanks for that...I know which host I'll be going to w w w.diyhosting.ca no doubt will loose a few days of hits/emails etc as the site moves.

Unless there's a way to do it without loosing a few days. Will check on here via the search

Ian

ian_ok, Jan 13, 2005 IP
  9. expat

Best Answers:
    start with making sure you have dns control of your domain.

If one has to transfer I do the transfer first pointing to the old account, than once I have full control I do the sitch but also load the new account before just in case.

When I switch I bring up the new account load all pages db's etc etc make sure it works (using ip direct).
    Than switch dns and mx records so for a while you may get both sides targeted usually it's only about 12 hours.
    If you have full control of the domain dns you can first shorten the refresh time to 6 hours or so thus routers will go up the chain every 6 hours to get the latest authorative IP.

To avoid too much db sync when there are active db's I bring DNS refresh down to 30 minutes and simply stop db's just before the switch and bring up a maintenance page for a couple of hours.

G may drop pr for a day or so but will keep the pages.

It's also the perfect time to sort out all potential required mod_rewrites or set it up via cpanel like www or non www for the domain etc etc.

Best of luck
    M

expat, Jan 13, 2005 IP