1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing hosting and its affect on SEO.

Discussion in 'Web Hosting' started by Lucky Bastard, Dec 15, 2004.

Hi all.

I am currently running a site on a Windows server, and will be moving host soon and deploying a redeveloped version of the site on a Linux box - before (or currently) the site was ASP, when redeployed on the new server it will be using PHP (the php version is developed and ready to go). My site as it stands is currently ranked well in some fairly competitive 1-2 word keyword combos. Will such a change (main change is IP address, and language) have any, or MUCH of a negative affect with my sites ranking in the major SE (G,Y!, msn)? PR be lost?

If there will be any negative changes will it be a fairly quick climb back or will it be sandboxed and months away from getting back to where it was before (assuming it does get back).

The site will be fairly similar page wise, page count, content. A few pages may be missing, but a few more added too. BTW, the main page will be changes from index.asp to index.php.

Btw, I have no choice on the change of host and thus IP.

Lucky Bastard, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  2. SEbasic

SEbasic Peon

Best Answers:
    The change of IP/Host shouldn't have an effect.

Just make sure that the files are in both places still when you do the transfer.

SEbasic, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  3. xml

xml Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd suggest keeping the site identical for now. When switching to PHP I would mask ASP pages as PHP.

So basically your PHP scripts are contained within files with *.asp extensions:

AddHandler application/x-httpd-php .asp

xml, Dec 15, 2004 IP
  4. fsolm1

fsolm1 Member

Best Answers:
    I would suggest if you are going to have 2 servers, keep a robots.txt in place on the old server to block the "Duplicate Content" penalties.

fsolm1, Dec 15, 2004 IP