1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing domain name on established site?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by lorien1973, Nov 17, 2005.

I want to change the domain name for a site I have. Its PR6, but I want a more marketable name. If I just 301 the old domain to the new domain; will the PR transfer eventually? Or do I need to do more than that?
    SEMrush

lorien1973, Nov 17, 2005 IP
    SEMrush
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It will transfer... You're best bet is to make sure you 301 the whole site. Check this thread.

digitalpoint, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  3. FeedBucket

FeedBucket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Will the ranking of either the old or new domain be affected in any way by doing that? Been thinking about redirecting a domain myself, but SERP is too important to my strategy to mess up.

FeedBucket, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  4. just-4-teens

just-4-teens Peon

Best Answers:

the new domain will be sandboxxed by google and will lose most of the traffic that google brings to you, yahoo & msn should rank your new site the same as they did old one.

just-4-teens, Nov 17, 2005 IP
  5. FeedBucket

FeedBucket Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks -- pretty much what I thought. I guess I'll just get the domain keyed for the search term with some filler content and then hold off on the redirect until it's absolutely necessary. (10 months from now or so should be time enough, no? :))

FeedBucket, Nov 17, 2005 IP