1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing Domain - How to get pages reindexed by google?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by mugzy, Sep 21, 2011.

Im looking at potentially buying an established forum with 20,000 members and 350,000 posts. I do not think the Domain is optimal to what the forum
    niche is. The forum is at this point is pretty slow and almost dead hence my chance to buy. My question is if I change the domain name what is the best way to
    go about getting all fo the pages re-indexed by google? Its vb 4.0

Thanks

mugzy, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Change the domain in the admincp --> options --> url

Once changed, get your sitemap resubmitted, to google/yahoo/bing etc they will re-index everything for you just fine.

AnthonyG, Sep 21, 2011 IP
  3. mastermunj

mastermunj Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If old domain is still with you, do permanent redirection for all links from there to new links, soon search engine will replace old links with new ones.

mastermunj, Sep 22, 2011 IP
  4. techielog

techielog Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Even if you submit the sitemap to google, it may crawl all the pages, but wont index all of them right away. It may take a while. How about moving to the new domain and let the google crawl the pages and let your users know that you are moving to a new system. On one day bring all the changes from old system to new system?

techielog, Sep 22, 2011 IP
  5. ElectricChoice

ElectricChoice Peon

Best Answers:
    It's a big job. your best bet, with the highest amount of retention for index placement in google is 301 redirects, as mentioned by mastermunj.

The main thing to avoid is losing juice from existing backlinks and also making sure you don't end up with indexed results in google that go to dead pages

ElectricChoice, Sep 22, 2011 IP