1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changing AdSense Ads' code

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by Kasparoff, Jun 26, 2005.

I am building a new website and plan to gauge some google's ads there. However, the new design is somewhat sophisticated and doesn't allow me to put nicely any of google's predefined ads. I am going to use a small horizontal banner, but in order to show it properly at the website, I have to change ads source code by a one pixel from 234 width to 233. At a glance, it is not visible and looks fine at the website unless you go to the source code itself.

Hence, my question is, is google capable to find that out on itself by using its own checking tools or it is required that someone would betray me and tell that directly to google? Please advise!

Kasparoff, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  2. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    I can't see Google minding about one pixel BUT the TOS explicitly say do not modify the code so if you think it's really worth breaking the rules for one pixel why not just send Google a quick email and ask.

dct, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  3. Kasparoff

Kasparoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Can I send the email anonymously? I really don't want to get screwed before I did anything.

4. dct

dct Finder of cool gadgets

Best Answers:
    They won't screw you for asking a question, it would be difficult to email anonymously yet still expect a reply. The address to email is adsense-support @ google.com

dct, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  5. obenix

obenix Eats an apple a day......

Best Answers:
    Maybe the risk of modifying the code is not worth it? To change a pixel or two for the sake of display, and risk having your adsense account cancelled? Is it really worth it?

obenix, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  6. Critters

Critters Guest

Best Answers:
    Email Them

Critters, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  7. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Google will not allow you to modify the code in ANY way.

mjewel, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  8. SHT

SHT Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly, especially if your only income is adsense, I personally wouldn't risk it, I'd either change the design, deal with it not showing properly or email them, the choice is yours.

SHT, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  9. Kasparoff

Kasparoff Peon

Best Answers:
    Fortunately enough, my income from AdSense is not that substantial and it not only my single source of income. It's collateral and insignificant (at this point while I don't make much there).

However, I will try to comply with all rules and will reconsider the positioning of the ad before I upload anything.

10. Shoemoney

Shoemoney $

Best Answers:
    yes everyone stating the obvious its against google TOS.

In my experience I have altered the code alot and never seen any reprecusions in over 1 years time on some pretty high traffic sites.

1 thing i ALWAYS do is send a email to support and have them look at the page and see if they see any problem with it. try that.

Shoemoney, Jun 26, 2005 IP
  11. biggazillakilla

biggazillakilla Active Member

Best Answers:
    If you email, they'll likely say no. I emailed about changing the font in their site search box, and they said no. (But that's easy to do with CSS anyway, the end result could be the same.)

biggazillakilla, Jun 26, 2005 IP