1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Changes to a existing domain URL, how will affect google ranking?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by jpcesar, Sep 25, 2009.

Hi there,

I run this website: www.queroviagens.com

This is a online travel agency, and im conducting several optimisations regarding html code, and structure.

As you may notice as soon you enter www.queroviagens.com you will land in a www.queroviagens.com/index.asp that will redirect you to www.queroviagens.com/queroviagens/default.aspx.

What i want to do is put the website directly on the domain root thus removing the redirection.

The question now is,will i benefit more with this move than lose? Because a lot of pages are already indexed and all that will go away.

Any advise?

Best regards and tx in advance

jpcesar, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  2. johnsmith14

johnsmith14 Peon

Best Answers:
    i think it'll affect your ranking......

johnsmith14, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  3. ezras

ezras Peon

Best Answers:
    It will effect your ranking significantly, unless you implement a 301 redirect. Using a permanent 301 redirect tells the search engines that a specific page has changed location and to place which ever value the search engines had for that old page to the new one. I just did a quick search for you, and found this site that give more details. Please note that I haven't gone through this website myself, so check out different sources for information before implementing. (ref. webconfs.com/how-to-redirect-a-webpage.php) Note that once the new direction is implemented, it may take a few days or weeks for Google to update its systems, but you have a much less chance of loosing ranking. It wouldn't hurt to also implement a custom 404 page that would provide a much more user-friendly error message to your sitemap for those pages that may no longer exist on your site. Best of luck.

ezras, Sep 25, 2009 IP
  4. John_Marshal

John_Marshal Peon

Best Answers:
    301 redirect which is permanent redirect will probably the solution of the problem. as search engine redirects the traffic to your redirected page then it will also consider the main page as the page you are redirecting on. Thus you will retain your current rankings... but after implementing the 301 redirect you should start seo by concerning your current page on which the users are landing..

John_Marshal, Jul 2, 2011 IP