1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Celebrity Photos

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by MillionsMercury, Oct 6, 2014.

Where can I buy celebrity photos for a celebrity/Hollywood blog? I know that I can't just take photos from google because of copyright laws but where can I buy them and how much do they usually cost? Also, where can I buy photos of non-Hollywood celebrities? For example, photos of kpop celebrities or bollywood actors.

MillionsMercury, Oct 6, 2014 IP
  2. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    Over the years, I have used gettyimages.com and corbisimages.com. They are not cheap but are longtime, legitimate vendors of images and they have celebrity sections.

jrbiz, Oct 8, 2014 IP
  3. Indasia

Indasia Peon

Best Answers:
    I know this is an old thread, but I'm also making a blog where I would like to use photos capturing the daily life of celebrities (like seen shopping, leaving so and so). I'm taking it you can't just use the photo and give the owner credit. I would need photos for at least 3 posts a week so I'm going to need some pretty good resources. Anyone know of anymore? I don't plan on selling the pictures.

Indasia, Jan 15, 2015 IP
  4. David Garcia

David Garcia Member

Best Answers:
    Same here. I am developing an app where I need pictures of historical figures and also celebrities. I am looking for resources too. If there is any suggestions? Please advice.

David Garcia, Jan 26, 2015 IP
  5. departurearea

departurearea Peon

Best Answers:
    if you are using the picture of the historical figure in an informative manner, then you don't need to worry about copyrights. If you plan to name your app after him/her or do something where you'll make money around that person's name/image, you'll need to get permission.

departurearea, Feb 4, 2015 IP
  6. omgcats

omgcats Member

Best Answers:
    A bunch of the major stock photo websites like Shutterstock, Bigstock, Dreamstime, Depositphotos, etc. have red carpet pictures. If you download the maximum amount allowed in your subscription you can get the cost down to around $0.20 per image. This is good if you are looking for any picture of Brad Pitt to use in an article about him, but not if you want pictures from a specific event. The selection is limited and they often don't get photos for days or months after an events.

PR Photos is the best low-cost source with a wide selection. Their monthly plans start at $35 for the smallest plan and with the biggest plan you can get your cost per image down to $0.50.

There are also paparazzi agencies that specialize in celebrity photos. This is where you should look if you need candid photos (celebs on the street) or new photos. Here are a bunch of them:
    • WENN
    • Fame/Flynet
    • INF
    • AKM-GSI
    • PacificCoastNews
    • Splash News
    • Bauer Griffin
    • Startraks
    The annoying thing is that these agencies don't post pricing info on their sites, but most of the ones that I have talked to offer some sort of monthly subscription plan in the $200-$300 range. Expect to pay around $1-$10 per photo with a subscription.

Getty Images is the major player for event photos (though they don't have a lot of candids). Because they are so big they are far more expensive than other agencies. I wouldn't recommend them as a place to buy due to the price, however they allow you to embed their images on your site for free. You have to use their embed code (it's like a YouTube embed) which includes attribution and their own social sharing icons on top of the picture.

omgcats, Feb 8, 2015 IP