1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Captcha while making posting on forum

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by khanals, May 15, 2013.

I have a forum site (www.sudosan.com). I added captcha for preventing spam posts while making new thread or post. Is it good idea for that? please suggest me.

khanals, May 15, 2013 IP
  2. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Captcha can't stop full spam. Use some special modules like stop forum spam etc.

humtuma, May 15, 2013 IP
  3. khanals

khanals Member

Best Answers:
    its preventing spam this time but i just want to know that does it harm to generic members for posting or not?

khanals, May 15, 2013 IP
  4. TheComputerGuy

TheComputerGuy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't use a forum that has Captcha if I already registered. that's the whole point of registering.

TheComputerGuy, May 15, 2013 IP
  5. r3dt@rget

r3dt@rget Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It is not a good idea to use Captcha for current members when creating new posts. You need to stop spam bots at the registration level. Captcha does not work well anymore for that job. You should have the following security measures instead:

1. Email Verification - Make new members activate their account before they have the ability to post messages. This is probably the best way to prevent spammers.

2. Security Question/Human Verification - Create a question on your registration page that requires human thinking. For example, create a question, "What is 2+2?". The obvious answer is 4, so potential users will write "4" in the text box. Spam bots cannot answer even these simple questions, so it is a good defense against them. It is better than Captcha and is more effective. I switched my verification method to this from Captcha, and have yet to see a single spam bot account register.

There is no reason to require members to pass verification to post messages. Your problem is that bots are registering. If you allow guests to post messages, I suggest you do not allow that, or possibly make only guests pass a security verification question like I talked about above when they try to create a post.

Most forum platforms have plugins that allow you to create a human verification question on the registration page. Vanilla Forums and SMF I know support this feature, so I am sure it is available for all other forums.

If you want to read more about forum security, I suggest this you read some of my articles here: http://www.forummechanics.com/security/

r3dt@rget, May 15, 2013 IP
  6. khanals

khanals Member

Best Answers:
    thanks for your suggestion. actually i made it for first post only for members.

khanals, May 15, 2013 IP
  7. EasyAsPie

EasyAsPie Peon

Best Answers:
    You should implement the captcha for only new users because it's annoying to fill a captcha every time a user tries to post. There are some plugins that only require captcha for the very first posts. And as mentioned above, when combined with other plugins and services such as StopForumSpam it will be really effective.

EasyAsPie, Jun 8, 2013 IP
  8. Leasedlayer

Leasedlayer Member

Best Answers:
    As said above, you can only apply the captchas to certain groups i.e., the New Forum Members.

Leasedlayer, Jun 24, 2013 IP