1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Capitalizing on other company's marketing

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by lorien1973, Nov 25, 2004.

I was thinking of this last night while I was watching QVC (sometimes you turn to a channel and just start watching it for no good reason at all too, right? LOL). they featured a product on it that I sell.

So, it brought me to this question - would you make a page on your site that is optimized for QVC (or HSN or something) in an effort to get some of those random searches on google and the other engines? Or do you think that this would cause major problems?

lorien1973, Nov 25, 2004 IP
  2. cgo85

cgo85 Peon

Best Answers:
    Go for it! I don't think that there is any rule against sending backlinks to your website for it. How could they prove that you were actively trying to optimize for them. I wouldn't do to much on page SEO for those keywords though... Maybe just something like "as seen on HSN" or something like that.

cgo85, Dec 7, 2004 IP
  3. Chris Choi

Chris Choi Peon

Best Answers:
    It depends. I think you have to do your due diligence. Some
    companies don't mind if you sell as an affiliate and compete with
    them in the Sengines but others will file complaints. So do your
    research first.

Chris Choi, Dec 11, 2004 IP
  4. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Go for it, I'd say. The manufacturer/distributor won't mind whether it's you selling it or QVC. We see spikes in traffic to specific product pages when they are featured on TV or in magazines somewhere. By just adding one line '...as featured in/on xxx-show/mag' you have their name on-page and assuming you rank for the product already, you now rank for the tv-show / mag-name combo as well. Nothing better than free TV ads!

T0PS3O, Dec 12, 2004 IP
  5. gchaney

gchaney Peon

Best Answers:
    Ummmm, I have a page on my site dedicated to my competition, with links to there site using relevant keywords. I get visits via serps as a result of having them listed. It says good things about them, what they do, and how they operate. What are they going to do, sue me for saying good things about them?...lol

I don't see anything wrong with it, so long as you are being respectful, provide accurate information and provide a means for the target to go to their site or contact them directly. Actually a good "Play" on getting traffic that is relevant to your site that might not otherwise know anything about you. By stating its your competition and speaking highly of them, the prospect knows they should "Check Your Stuff Out To" if you have enough courage to list them.

Seems to work, though I don't track it outside of keyword landings, as my competition is really not in direct competition other than for the visitors eye. My site provides information only rather than the services and generates income through adsense and advertisin (If I could ever get any...lol).

Cheers

gchaney, Dec 12, 2004 IP