1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you put images from google on your site for free?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by robertmiano, May 21, 2010.

hi. If i put a image on my site searched from google or from any other search engine. can i get penalized or get in trouble for this?

robertmiano, May 21, 2010 IP
  2. exceedwebhost

exceedwebhost Peon

Best Answers:
    It all depends on who owns the image and any copyrights on the image. Some images might be ok to use, but generally you should consider the images property of the web site they are found on.

exceedwebhost, May 21, 2010 IP
  3. combson

combson Member

Best Answers:
    No, you can't. In almost all the cases, it's copyrighted material that is not allowed to be used anywhere else. But sometimes manufacturers release promotional materials for journalists to promote their products. You should do a research...

combson, May 21, 2010 IP
  4. miserman

miserman Member

Best Answers:
    yes it is illegal, you should put images through PhotoBucket

miserman, May 22, 2010 IP
  5. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    Combson, you are absolutely correct!*****

What about the item that you cannot see --- it is called a watermark. Now, I am not go to instruct about how to go around that. Just quit being lazy, and do it easy.

Go to flickr.com and set the parameters to make sure that what you are taking, is what people are willingly sharing.
    If you are going to use any quantity of clipart and photos, then go to IClipart. Stunning 3D, and unlimited downloads for a very low cost.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------hope that works---------------------------

dyadvisor, May 22, 2010 IP
  6. samdaddycool

samdaddycool Peon

Best Answers:
    That's really helpful. Thanks for the tips. Recently I just put... "credit to Google image" in my blog entry.
    Cheers

samdaddycool, May 24, 2010 IP
  7. XfrostX

XfrostX Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah just upload it to a free image site

XfrostX, May 24, 2010 IP
  8. etali

etali Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Samdaddycool is correct - use Flickr instead of Google Images. The option he's talking about is the Creative Commons one - if you follow the terms of the Creative Commons license selected for photos on Flickr (some say no derivatives, some demand credit, for example), you can use those images legally.

etali, May 25, 2010 IP
  9. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    try to link those images to the original site. they'll like what you did.
    and they might as well promote your site,some people actually get proud when they see thier image was used by some good sites so they link it.

etc, May 25, 2010 IP
  10. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Ditto.

Many put pictures out there and they do not care what happens to them. In addition, with so many pictures out there, it is damn near impossible to know who is the original owner.

Hell, many can date back ten years!

I use Google images all the time. I have yet to be told to take a picture(s) down. If so, I would ask that they provide proof of ownership.

I noticed one of your signatures, so I typed in cancer treatment, and all of these came up:

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q=cancer treatment&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi

Who knows who owns these pics. Many of them have been passed down to one site to another.

Perry Rose, May 25, 2010 IP
  11. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have a link to a law firm in your signature and you don't know the answer to this?

YMC, May 26, 2010 IP
  12. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The image does not belong to Google, it belongs to a third party. If you are going to give credit, at least give it to the right person. Better yet, make sure the picture is in the public domain or you have permission before using any picture.

YMC, May 26, 2010 IP
  13. Ludatha

Ludatha Peon

Best Answers:
    Ludatha, May 26, 2010 IP
    Sickthing likes this.
  14. williammfelix

williammfelix Peon

Best Answers:
    Usually i save it in my computer and upload it in photobucket.

Thank you Ludatha, i never know google has such feature. ;)

williammfelix, May 26, 2010 IP
  15. dyadvisor

dyadvisor Peon

Best Answers:
    etc you are going to have a lots of people hate you.

If you use an image, that wants credit give it, or if restricted do not use it.

Never link to it. That is called stealing Bandwidth. (Someone joyriding on your gas)

Put 3,000 pictures on your site, have 10,000 people link to them, and then sell your home to pay the bandwidth bill, that is if your ISP did not already pull your site.

---------------------------play fair, it is so easy for others to burn you back-------------------------

dyadvisor, May 26, 2010 IP
  16. lassie911

lassie911 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes you can. The internet simply can't be stopped. Anyone who attempts to stop linking, downloading and posting other people's content will always fail. Trying to set up laws and regulations for digital images, music etc. will never work. People just need to accept this and deal with it. The internet is nothing more than a idol and the things we see on it aren't real since they can't be touched, tasted or smelled. How can you stop something once it's online?

lassie911, May 27, 2010 IP
  17. windy

windy Active Member

Best Answers:
    no .you can't. it is illegal .although many people still do this

windy, May 29, 2010 IP
  18. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let the folks from Getty images find out you've used one of their images and we'll see how long you have that theory.

YMC, May 29, 2010 IP
  19. lassie911

lassie911 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It's not a theory. I have used their images as well. "Let them find out", good luck to them or anyone else who thinks that they can stop any thing that's online from being used. What do you think they will do? They have no influence over state laws, me, my computer, my will etc. It's all threats but I will say in a few cases there my be action. However, for the average website we all know that you probably won't be "caught" and most importantly to this discussion, nothing will be done. There is no such thing as illegal online imo. If a song leaks, it's out and anyone who has the know how can get it. It's not "illegal" for me to click on a link. The person who leaked it is responsible. I'm not at fault for knowing how to use the internet. Likewise, if a image is on a website and google uses it on their image search from spidering the site, then why can't I use it on my site also? Get it? Don't let the fear mongers scare you into thinking this global database of information can be controlled with conventional wisdom and by traditional means. By that I mean i-laws, words like "illegal" being thrown around, people who like to promote the THEORY of a internet that mirrors the real world and these fictitious online agencies with absolutely no real power. I stand by what I said above, yes you can use it and there is a 99.999999999% that not only won't you be sued (lol) but that it won't even be noticed. Why I am saying this? Well, I am just being honest here by trying to add a balance to all of the fear. At the end of the day Google takes images that have been made public and they display them on their site site saying the image may be copy written. If they can, why can't you? lol

I went and did a quick search for "getty image lawsuit" after I finished the above post and here is the first result:
    http://nctritech.wordpress.com/2008/11/04/the-getty-images-extortion-scheme/
    Here is a quick quote from the article:
    ^That is of the time the article was written.
    Enjoy! :)

Some of you won't be happy until we get sued for copy and pasting words also! First music/video, then images then.....WORDS!

lassie911, May 29, 2010 IP
  20. mjewel

mjewel Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    What a stupid post. Thousands of people have been sued for copyright infringement. Google doesn't display the original image, they display a low-resolution thumbnail - and google has even been sued over this. Even if you win a lawsuit, you can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars in legal fees. Just yesterday, 5,000 people were sued over downloading "the hurtlocker". People are sued everyday for "copy and pasting words" - it's copyright infringement. People have even gone to prison in extreme cases. Copyright infringement can also be a criminal charge. Yes, the likelihood of being caught is rather small, and if someone wants to take the risk, then it is up to them. People such as yourself are dirtbags who steal other people's property because they aren't creative or bright enough to come up with an original idea. The true reason you don't worry about being caught is because you likely have a net worth that couldn't buy a cup of coffee and you can't collect what somewhat doesn't have.

mjewel, May 29, 2010 IP