1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can You Please Review W3 Spot?

Discussion in 'Websites' started by aniroy1986, Jul 15, 2021.

Hi. I have a blog which is about internet, software & programming/coding related stuffs. For now I have tried to keep it simple & added common problems/solutions related to web development. I also included online services & softwares that I found interesting.

The blog is named W3 Spot. Please provide your honest feedback :).

aniroy1986, Jul 15, 2021 IP
  2. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I'm impressed that you're not just repeating the same newbie information but diving deep into actual problems. The content would benefit from photos, diagrams, some sort of illustration. I don't like the colours and the ads between pages are a massive turnoff. Is your content good enough to survive that? If I hadn't been reviewing I'd have closed the tab as soon as the ad showed. Advertising is important, we know that, but use a sidebar, or a banner between paragraphs. Don't take over my whole screen!

sarahk, Jul 15, 2021 IP
  3. mmerlinn

mmerlinn Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It looks like it MIGHT be an interesting and useful website once you fix some issues.

No one will stick around if they cannot read your posts. Currently, the menu on the left COVERS (HIDES) the left 3-5/8" of every blog post and there is NO WAY TO CLOSE the menu. Fix that so we can read ALL of the posts, not just the right portion.

For example your first blog post says:

mmerlinn, Jul 15, 2021 IP
  4. aniroy1986

aniroy1986 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for reviewing the blog. But I am not able to reproduce the template issue that you mentioned. I tried in multiple browsers (Safari & Chrome) & checked in iPhone & MacBook. But left side menu was not covering the post. It would be really helpful if you can share a screenshot & the OS/browser version.

aniroy1986, Jul 16, 2021 IP
  5. aniroy1986

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the feedback. I am using Adsense auto ads & that can be a hindrance to reader. For now, I have turned off the ads & will see how can it be better placed (probably by using normal ad widgets in sidebar). Regarding the background colour, I felt ok. I tried to optimize few things in fonts but this Blogger template has some limitations.
    I acknowledge that adding some visual illustrations could have been better for some of my blog posts. I am aware of it. But due to time limitations, I couldn't do them.

aniroy1986, Jul 16, 2021 IP
  6. deathshadow

deathshadow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    The white text on the orange/tan backgrounds is below accessibility minimums, and the use of PX metrics is also a giant middle finger to users like myself who expect/desire em/rem so that I don't have to dive for the zoom on a 4k display. Something I've been championing of late, the notion that accessibility isn't just for the disabled!

Likewise the menu pushed off the bottom of the screen once I zoom to legible sizes is a bit of a wonk. Typical of what happens when you try to put form ahead of function.

The code is the typical bloated train wreck of incompetence I'd expect from Blogger. That's not on you, that's on them so I'll let that slide.

Even if it is crapping dozens of K of static style into the markup, relies on gibberish markup telling users with accessibility needs to go plow themselves, static SVG crapped into the markup, etc, etc, etc, resulting in a multi-megabyte page load for what should take maybe 4 dozen k.

Also I see you like Pac-Man. Neave was a very interesting interpretation of the game I remember well.

But here, try mine. (yes, I wrote it)

https://deathshadow.com/pakuPakuLive

The emulation provided by the "Internet Archive" is a bit funky, plays better in a local DOSBOX session or on real vintage hardware. Was created to run on an original CGA equipped IBM 5150 using the non-standard "undocumented" 160x100 16 color graphics mode. That's actually the 80x25 text mode with the bejeezus tweaked out of it). Turned into a real challenge recreating the game at a 3/8ths reduction in resolution.

deathshadow, Aug 6, 2021 IP
  7. aniroy1986

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the review. And points that you mentioned about the blog template are noted. I wanted to start something quickly & plan is to put more time on this blog later. So I used Blogger as that has quick & simple setup.

I played your Pac man version few times. Paku Paku is a cool name :)

aniroy1986, Aug 14, 2021 IP
  8. Tedel

Tedel Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I didn't like the design (but that's so subjective that doesn't really matters), but I liked your posts: short, to the point, not so-called "seo-friendly" written. The old-school natural blog that may one day become famous. I added you to my RSS list. Keep it up.

Tedel, Aug 17, 2021 IP
  9. aniroy1986

Best Answers:
    Thank you. I don't get much spare time to focus on this blog. So I try to keep post short & concise when I find something interesting. But I wish I could have done a bit better with seo-friendly part.

aniroy1986, Aug 25, 2021 IP