1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can You Get Sued From Someone in Another Country!

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by digitaldirect4u, Apr 12, 2009.

Hi Everyone,

O.K. so here is the deal, I have this guy that claims to have copyrights to a certain item but came to find out its not true.

He basically threatens everyone with a lawsuit then screams at them until they are to scared to sell the item anymore.

Funny thing is I was looking around the net and ended up finding this particular product broken into pieces on other forums. So bascially what he did was write it word for word and then claim it as his own.

There is another seller I know that has stood up against this bully and he seems to leave him alone but will not get off my back.

I talked to the guy who stood up against him and he says that for over a year this guy has been claiming lawsuit but never has done it.

My main question is...can you be sued for a copyright infringement from someone of another country.

Thanks for the response

E

digitaldirect4u, Apr 12, 2009 IP
  2. asmodeus

asmodeus Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I've received cease and desist letters for trademark infringement from other countries, but it never went anywhere. I had responded to them at first, but now I just ignore them and go about my business. Maybe if it was Microsoft or some company with money or power threatening to sue me, then I might be concerned, but individuals I just ignore.

asmodeus, Apr 12, 2009 IP
  3. Jay D.

Jay D. Peon

Best Answers:
    You can be sued all day long, but I think it will be near impossible for them to bring you into their country to attend the court hearings.

Jay D., Apr 12, 2009 IP
  4. copper12

copper12 Peon

Best Answers:
    It doesn't matter where they live. If they fill out the proper paperwork, then, yes, you can be sued. Of course.

I was threatened by webmasters from both here and outside the country for having, supposedly, their pictures. I told them, simply put: "Give me proof this is your picture, and then I will take it down. Otherwise, fuck off."

Don't be intimidated.

copper12, Apr 12, 2009 IP
  5. digitaldirect4u

digitaldirect4u Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the responses,

Its not really being intimidated, its just simply that this guy has proof but I know its fake. He registered with the copyright website as though it is his work but I can proof that the material was taken from five to ten forums where he copied word for word then made a book of it.

Its a pretty good money maker but nothing to retire on so I dont know if its worth the hassle dealing with this guy on a daily basis.

E

digitaldirect4u, Apr 13, 2009 IP
  6. nameishemant

nameishemant Peon

Best Answers:
    You can get sued anywhere, however if you do not live in that specific country, then law doesn't apply to you. If the crime is so big that the other country try to extradiate you, then you will anyway get a chance to defend yourself. So in summary you have nothing to worry about. Just make sure that your work is safe under DMCA.

nameishemant, Apr 13, 2009 IP
  7. nameishemant

nameishemant Peon

Best Answers:
    here is my tips for you. Add some interesting content. May be add few case studies. Put in some deeply researched content.

nameishemant, Apr 13, 2009 IP
  8. badboymarketer

badboymarketer Active Member

Best Answers:
    You have nothing to worry about.
    If you want to take some steps to protect yourself just follow what nameishemant recommended.

badboymarketer, Apr 13, 2009 IP
  9. LordXenu

LordXenu Active Member

Best Answers:
    Most people firing out these threatrs of "suing" you are just competition or losers trying to scare you away from doing what you're doing. If you know there is no copyright infringement taking place, ignore the threats. if you are in the wrong, simply remove the content and you're back in business worry free.

LordXenu, Apr 13, 2009 IP