1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can you BAN a competitor?

Discussion in 'Yahoo' started by SEOGuru, Jun 24, 2005.

1. I. Brian

I. Brian Business consultant

Best Answers:
    coopGuy - are you actually delisted or banned?

Sorry to ask for clarification, but you've used both terms, yet they are very different issues.

If a site is banned from Yahoo!, then apparently a search for the domain name will only ever bring up a single result - Yahoo! does not entirely remove banned domains, merely ensures they have no specific impact on the SERPS unless specifically searched for.

A delisting, on the other hand, is a pretty serious issue that is different to clear penalisation - for example, such as through a DMCA report filing - as reported in this thread:
    http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showthread.php?t=19703

I. Brian, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  2. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    I apologize for not making the distinction.

My site DOES show up under the SITE: command.
    It is NOT being indexed anymore and is actually losing indexed pages at a rate of 100+ per day.
    It DOES NOT show up under a search for the actual domain name.

Maybe there is a difference between being delisted or banned. What I do know is that I am not sandboxed. I didn't simply drop in ranking.

SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  3. noppid

noppid gunnin' for the quota

Best Answers:
    Is this site available for us to see these stats on? I don't see a link in the first post?

If not, I call BS.

noppid, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  4. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    Private message me if you want to know my sites and its stats. Please understand my apprehension of revealing my site to a public forum when I am going after competitors like this.

I know first hand that you can dig up all kinds of stuff on competitors' strategies when overzealous webmasters start spouting out their secrets on these kinds of message boards. In fact, that is how I found out a lot about my competitors since virtually all of the major SEO forums across the Internet are indexed by Google.

SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  5. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I am in the exact same situation in Yahoo. I used to be ranked #1 or #2 (very competitve KW) in Yahoo only a few weeks ago. Now I cannot even find my own domain name.

As an example, I cannot find "Digitalpoint" in Yahoo either. Is shawn's site banned or delisted?

maha, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  6. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    CoopGuy, What email did you use to contact Yahoo's Search Team?

maha, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  7. jlawrence

jlawrence Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't know quite what you mean by you can't find digitalpoint.
    If you run a search on yahoo for digitalpoint dot com, then it returns plenty of results including if you run a site: search.
    This points me towards the idea of some kind of penalty rather than DP being banned/delisted - or is it just a difference in Yahoo datacenters.
    I think some where within this update, yahoo have seriously f'd up. To be able to ban/delist a site simply by pointing massive numbers of IBL's at it is insanity.
    If this is the case, then I'm certain there is probably enough coop weight within this network to get practically any site dropped. How many IBL's could be pointed at a site if we all club together - 100 Mil + ? - if I was a betting man, I'd probably place a wager that we could even hurt some of the really big guys.

jlawrence, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  8. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    I moved even more weight to my competitor. Now 130,000+

I figure that I need to hit them hard and fast. They already had 46k links. So I need them to double or triple that in the next couple of weeks. That should set off Yahoo's filter if there indeed is one.

SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  9. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  10. noppid

Best Answers:
    I hope it works and they sue your ass for commerce freud.

Things like this are damn rediculous!

My thoughs are you are trying to drag the coop down, not your competitor.

I'm had you pegged as a coop competitor from post one of this thread.

noppid, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  11. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you kidding me? I didn't make the rules. Yahoo is the one who banned thousands of sites for these links. Would it be any different if my competitor actually JOINED the co-op and got banned on his own? I'm trying to see if this theory is indeed true because I don't think ANYONE can argue that the answer is EXTREMELY valuable to everyone in the co-op and even every webmaster on the planet. I need to know if massive inbound links can get someone banned.

You know, people like you only see one point of view. Would you be just as upset if it backfires and I actually HELP my competitor? Isn't it ME who is taking that risk? If anyone thinks this theory is B.S. then there should be no worry because I will likely actually help my competition. I'm not saying it is true or not, I can only go by what I've seen with my own sites and what others have been saying. I'm trying to find out for sure and I bet there are lots of people who would be interested in the results.

SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP
    spdude likes this.
  12. noppid

Best Answers:
    1) Definatly not.
    2) You making this stuff up or can I see the Yahoo! white paper on this or the information that was disseminated to determine such?
    3) Argumentive, it's conjecture to debate
    4) Hire an attorney to ask. Hell write a real letter instead of trying email. They have a legal dept.
    5) I'm sorry if I find playing with a competitor like this criminal, but that's my opinion. I hope it's everyone elses that reads this as well.
    6) That's a lie and you know it, you're doing this with the intent of getting the site banned as your's supposedly was to prove that is a way to attack a competitor. You clearly state that intent too. Don't try to soften with the prospect that it may be to their benefit. I can see right though that one.

Nice try though. :/

noppid, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  13. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    I am pretty certain that the criterion necessary for removal from Yahoo/SERPs is based not only on the number of and or quality of links, but the age of the site that has the links pointed to them.

I have a number of sites that have been around since 95 and some as late as 98 that have a lot of weight pointed at them and they have not moved or disappeared from Yahoo. Only those sites that are X years/months whatever old have been affected.

I'd think trying to knock Microsoft out would be next to impossible given the length of time the site has been around.

Mia, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  14. maha

maha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you search "digitalpoint" in Yahoo, you will not be able to find "digitalpoint.com"

maha, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  15. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    NOPPID, I make no claim that I'm not trying to get them banned. But if you want to get down to brass balls... EVERY SITE in the coop is manipulating their results and is in violation of their Guidelines so don't portray yourself as some saint.

I don't rank sites. That is Yahoo's job. If they think that by banning sites for inbound links others aren't going to use that knowledge, I'm looking to prove them wrong (if I can). I'd like to have Yahoo simply change their ranking formula but there is no way they are going to do that unless I can prove that this can be done. Even writing their legal department is useless without some facts. If you think it is a lie in that I might actually help my competition (if not in Yahoo, then in Google/MSN) then you must agree with me that I can actually get someone banned using this method. If you didn't agree that this is possible, then you wouldn't be worried would you? And if that is the case, then why would you not want to know for sure, even if for your own benefit since you are also part of the coop? Don't you and the rest of the thousands of members want to know if a lot of weight in the coop can actually GET you banned (or if not the coop directly, just getting a lot of links very quickly)?

How funny it is when you say that I shouldn't "play with a competitor like this". Isn't Yahoo just playing with the revenue of thousands of companies every time they make a change? Isn't it their ranking tweak that really made this possible in the first place?

I have no ethical or moral barrier. I know my competitors personally and they have been pulling underhanded stuff on me for years. They are a bunch of a**holes that have tried to steal trade secrets from employees of mine and have filed frivilous lawsuits against me. They are a casualty of war my friend. The Internet is a free-for-all and everyone should know that by now. There is no excuse for ignorance when it comes to SEO. No one ever said ranking in search engines was "fair". Heck, we all know that isn't true.

This is a capitalistic society and if you have a competitive edge you don't tell your competition just so it is "fair". If they aren't good enough to stay in business then they don't deserve to be in business. They should go do something else that they are better at.

SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  16. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    By the way, I just checked the link total of my competitor.

I've increased their link total by 26,000 links in 24 hours. And that was before I added the extra 100,000 weight to them.

SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  17. noppid

Best Answers:
    Right there I'll stop you cold in your tracks. You are trying to get the same result from this effort that you think your site got, banned. More BS to call on you.

This is not about the coop, but you keep going back there. More BS to call on you.

You have no clue what "I" do, now do you? But your eloquent writing style makes your BS sound like facts. But it's more BS.

Back to the coop since that's your favorite subject. It's an advertisng medium, nothing more, nothing less. So more BS when you say it is "manipulating" rankings.

You really don't known anything about anything you type. What a waste of time reading such BS.

noppid, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  18. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    I obviously can't have a rational conversation with someone who is irrational. Good luck to you.

SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  19. noppid

Best Answers:
    I'm irrational? I've showed you how every statement you make is BS!

Now that you know you can't spin things and get them past me you resort to name calling?

Told you he was full of BS! ;)

noppid, Jun 28, 2005 IP
  20. SEOGuru

SEOGuru Peon

Best Answers:
    You poor thing. No one can rationalize irrational statements likes ones you've made.

What exactly are you confused about? I have never said I wasn't trying to get them banned. I've said it over and over again. I've explained WHY I'm doing it, and HOW I'm doing it. I could explain this concept to a tree stump and it would comprehend more than you have. This is exactly what I'm talking about, you are making an irrational and irrelevant point.

What the hell are you saying? If you would bother to read ANYTHING I've written, I've said it multiple times.... this is ALL about the coop. It is COMPLETELY about trying to figure out if massive amounts of links can get someone banned. Just like my sites, and just like thousands of other sites. I am trying to answer the question that everyone wants answered. How many times do I have to repeat myself? lol You are so off base that I have to assume you are doing it on purpose because no one could be this stupid on accident.

Are you INSANE? Do you ACTUALLY think the coop is primarily an advertising medium? There is little traffic that comes from these links and I would know since I've generated more than 4 million total to my 3 sites. This coop is about one thing... link popularity. To think it is "advertising" is a complete dillussion and you are living in some kind of fantasy land.

I'll say it again. I can't have a rational conversation with someone that is irrational. If you truely believe what you say, then I pitty you because you are seriously disturbed and have a warpped sense of reality.

SEOGuru, Jun 28, 2005 IP