1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can we write whatever we want in Blogs?

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by olddocks, May 14, 2008.

do we have freedom of expression to write and critque whatever we want in blogs? i am afraid to write whatever i like feeling bit restricted.

olddocks, May 14, 2008 IP
  2. Zwitterion

Zwitterion Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, we can write anything unless you violate some TOS of your webhosting provider.
    And unless you scam other people to do some things.

Zwitterion, May 14, 2008 IP
  3. infogle

infogle Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you can simply write anything you want... bad good but staying away from scam writing is always recommended... ;)

infogle, May 14, 2008 IP
  4. Germz

Germz Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope. Ask your host, it's all up to them, I suggest you ask them rather than us as they are able to ban you if you break their TOS

Germz, May 14, 2008 IP
  5. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    what kind of things are restricted in blogs? i dont want to write for any scam or illegal of any sort, just wanted to critique!

6. coder999

coder999 Banned

Best Answers:
    You can but any scamming , phishing or any illegal and any thing that harm to peoples needs to carefully before posting.

coder999, May 14, 2008 IP
  7. olddocks

olddocks Notable Member

Best Answers:
    can we criticize products/services sold on the web? is it allowed?

8. MelogKnaj

MelogKnaj Guest

Best Answers:

Yes as long as it isn't illegal. It also depends on what country you live in, some are more stringent than others about freedom of expression.

MelogKnaj, May 14, 2008 IP
  9. nontemplates

nontemplates Peon

Best Answers:
    You cannot write anything you want. Slander could still find you sued. SO stay away from the personal stuff like discussing people you know but sure you can review products and services . Stay legal and you are fine.

nontemplates, May 14, 2008 IP
  10. kolgames

kolgames Active Member

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't talk dirty about to many people though. If you accuse someone of things, sometimes people are offended enough to take it to contacting your blog host, or sometimes legal action (if it is really bad)... Just remember not to (like nontemplates said) slander or talk personal, that can get you put in some trouble... Oh, and I would never out the word bomb in a sentence containing the words school, building, or any other area... There was a case in my town where someone wrote boom on his milk carton, and was arrested for a bomb threat... People blow things out of proportion, so watch yourself...

kolgames, May 14, 2008 IP
  11. MelogKnaj

MelogKnaj Guest

Best Answers:
    Please don't this doesn't mean you can't criticize people, assuming you are in the US you do have freedom of speech rights.

MelogKnaj, May 14, 2008 IP
  12. kolgames

kolgames Active Member

Best Answers:
    To an point... If your blogs are saying **** you you **** **** burn in **** you worthless piece of ****. Why don't you suck my ****!!!

That would be something you could get in trouble for if the person reads it.

13. kolgames

kolgames Active Member

Best Answers:
    Oh, PS: they are starting to charge people with "cyber bullying" (pushing people to suicide over the internet) So watch out there too

14. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    You should be able to write anything about anything on your blog if you are in the US, however you need to be sure that you have evidences to back up what you say. You cannot go around creating lies and criticize anyone without any basis.

Although you have the freedom of speech, the other party would have equal rights to sue you for libel.

eddy2099, May 14, 2008 IP
  15. wkhaiaun

wkhaiaun Peon

Best Answers:
    As long as it is in the legal boundaries. Nothing wrong with that. In fact that is what blogs are for - to get our message and information across.

wkhaiaun, May 14, 2008 IP
  16. eddy2099

eddy2099 Peon

Best Answers:
    Make sure you do not criticize any government or people or companies with deep pockets. They can certainly make your life miserable.

Not all countries have the same level of freedom of speech as in the US so do not make that assumption that it is.

Here in Singapore and Malaysia, you can go to jail if you blog about the government especially if it is negative blog.

eddy2099, May 14, 2008 IP
  17. xemiterx

xemiterx Peon

Best Answers:
    True, but slander is defamation in speach, libel is in print.

You can't present something as a fact if it is not. Opinions are a different matter, you can write about any opinion you might have.

(i'm not a lawyer, be certain to contact one for professional advice with your specific situation and laws of your country)

xemiterx, May 14, 2008 IP
    Corwin likes this.
  18. glasglow

glasglow Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends a lot on where you are hosted (physically) and local laws. If you are hosted in the United States, you only have to stay within the guidelines of the constitution. Freedom of Speech.

glasglow, May 15, 2008 IP
  19. Germz

Germz Peon

Best Answers:
    No, and yes. As long as the stuff you write is completely true then you can, if not then you better no or else you can be sued for defamation.
    I had a guy get mad at me cause I said directories were point less because the only high ranking page is their homepage, the rest of the pages aren't even ranked. And he got mad and made me take the image off.

Germz, May 15, 2008 IP
  20. so.ray2000

so.ray2000 Peon

Best Answers:
    its depends where you are ,in us, you can write G.W.Bush is a damn ass. but in north korea, you can not say the president is asshole, they will kill.........................

so.ray2000, May 15, 2008 IP