1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Verizon FiOS handle a home server?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by andysm849, Jul 22, 2008.

1. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    CreatingRevenue makes a good point too, and one to think about. The Fios won't be able to handle a large spike, only small constant traffic.

hostingspeak, Aug 4, 2008 IP
  2. pilotcap232

pilotcap232 Peon

Best Answers:
    I had verizon fios before, I dont think they allow hosting servers from the regular residence package connection, they will probably cancell your service if they find out.

pilotcap232, Aug 5, 2008 IP
  3. andysm849

andysm849 Peon

Best Answers:
    The Static IP for $100 a month has 20mb down and 5mb up so I think that should be okay, right? If not 20mb down and up is $40 more per month, so if I'm making any serious bank with this setup, and it requires more bandwidth maybe I'll invest in that. Anyone know how the installation goes? It says its free with a coupon but do they have to do much considering I already have fios coming into my house and a router? It can't be that different if its just a different speed, mostly just software stuff right?

andysm849, Aug 6, 2008 IP
  4. CreatingRevenue

CreatingRevenue Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't think they need to install anything. Since you already have the service they treat it just like an upgrade. They can just switch it over from the home office.

The speed depends a lot on what you are going to be hosting, how many sites and how popular they are. I would stick with the 5mb up for now till needed.

CreatingRevenue, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  5. hostingspeak

hostingspeak Peon

Best Answers:
    They may have a different circuit for business users, but like creatingrevenue said, they shouldn't have to change anything at your house, but maybe some backend changes.

hostingspeak, Aug 8, 2008 IP
  6. tommeyboy

tommeyboy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One thing to keep in mind is that the business service does not include television. I run a lot of servers from my house and had to get both a residential and business FIOS account so that I could watch my favorite shows.

tommeyboy, Aug 8, 2008 IP