1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can this idea taken to an extreme kill adsense and any other program?

Discussion in 'Guidelines / Compliance' started by MisterZee, Oct 11, 2005.

1. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    When YFS1 talked about a human review, he meant as part of an investigation into a particular website's status and potential violations of the TOS.

Considering all the people who want to try and harm other people's businesses, google has proven themselves fairly capable with their ability to filter and determine types of fraud. If you consider it, they do a fairly amazing job.

You have to remember that Google has access to a ridiculous amount of data that allows them to follow user movement, patterns and behavior on the internet.

aeiouy, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  2. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    That's all great. But human review when you have a virus infecting thousands of computers? How can that work? Human review of a click? And if there is IP spoofing going on, I just don't see how human review is even remotely related to this case.

If you want to argue that G will be a step ahead of the virus writers, I might disagree, but at least that would be relevant. But human review as a defensive weapon? Not for this issue.

MisterZee, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  3. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:
    He was talking about human review before account suspensions.. that has nothing to do with detecting a virus.

aeiouy, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  4. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    Still don't see the relevancy. I wasn't talking about account suspensions. The issue is the potential of millions of clicks by a robot just for malicious purposes.

It's already a relatively significant problem for G when it's done for profit.

BTW, I don't necessarily believe it will be a problem. But acknowledging that it's a possibility definitely helps to plan ahead with alternate sources of income.

5. JEET

JEET Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why is it necessarry that a virus has a set pattern .

It only has to pick one ad and send the click to server .

And someone mentioned that google solved the problem . Where is that thread?

Regards
    bye
    S-jeet

JEET, Oct 13, 2005 IP
  6. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    They solved the existing virus. But they didn't solve the issue that they are vulnerable to this type of abuse.

7. my44

my44 Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing much MisterZee, just I read from an e-book about MSN's own ads programme got cancelled because of too much fraud. But then that was Microsoft, we're dealing with Google, two different animals :)

my44, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  8. aeiouy

aeiouy Peon

Best Answers:

Okay let me clearly explain it.

Some virus is off randomly clicking on ads. Problem is this behavior sticks out like a sore-thumb to google because it does not mimic any real usuage patterns or trends. So they fairly easily identify these clicks and take steps to block them and discount them. Even if the virus was spyware and piggybacked on normal users, it is likely that patterns would be altered enough to be identified.

At the same time if any site were potentially red-flagged for invalid clicks, a human review would be able to see that the clicks that got them flagged were caused because of this virus and thus the person would be reinstated and/or not removed in the first place.

Like I said, Google has extensive data on usage patterns across many different sources. I believe this is a key part of their click-fraud defense. As I mentioned before the typical virus writer is unlikely to have the information required to create patterns that would act like normal users, and thus would be easily flagged.

Randomness is itself a pattern, especially when surrounded with predictable behavior, and since human beings are not capable of being truely random, a computer virus based on randomness would stick out.

Feel free to worry about some kind of virus taking down Adsense and ruining all of our lives. I have other things to worry about myself.

aeiouy, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  9. yfs1

yfs1 User Title Not Found

Best Answers:
    You should have been doing that from the beggining.

I am giving up on this thread and will end with - What aeiouy says

Its hard to debate with someone who doesn't know how the Google review system work so I will leave it up to aeiouy to answer misterzee

yfs1, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  10. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    You can leave the thread, but you brought up a strawman without even sharing it with us and then provided a response as if you were addressing my point. You weren't.

I knew where you were going from the beginning, but I wasn't going to explain and make your arguments for you and then respond to them.

My point was that the virus would be a huge problem because of invalid clicks. You assumed that the problem with those invalid clicks would be accounts getting banned. I didn't. I assumed if there was a virus that G would be smart enough not to ban people on that basis.

MisterZee, Oct 14, 2005 IP
  11. MisterZee

MisterZee Peon

Best Answers:
    I hear you. But I'm far from convinced that these patterns are as obvious and detectable as you say.

G has a better reputation than their achievements merit. The SERPS are still relatively spammy. And the sandbox is a joke. If they handle an Adsense virus the same way, we're screwed.

MisterZee, Oct 14, 2005 IP