1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Secret Services trace owner of domain even if register anonymously

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by NAZAM.COM, Feb 21, 2006.

I've found a popular misspelling of a high-traffic foreign government website has been unregistered. I'd like to register the domain and then publish some data about this government's atrocities. (Would open up an account anonymously with a free webhost to publish the webpages.)

However, I was wondering if I even paid extra to hide my info. in the WhoIs, is it possible for this government secret services to trace the owner? Can they hack into the registrar's site (or have insiders who collude with them) and get someone's info.?

Would rather not register if even 1% chance they can trace owner, because this government's secret services are among the nastiest in the world and regularly cause serious harm to people even outside their own country. Every other misspelling of this government's websites have been registered, but they are just parked PPC landing pages.

NAZAM.COM, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  2. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Of course someone can find out who you are if they want to badly enough. They could get your IP from the registrar that you registered it through, then get your personal info from your ISP based on your IP, etc...

digitalpoint, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  3. NAZAM.COM

NAZAM.COM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I thought so. I would register domain and create/update website only from Internet Cafes without visiting any of my own websites at the same time. Could also use false registrant data for the domain. Only one obstacle is paying for the domain name... can trace owner through creditcard, Paypal and every other method I can think of.

Ideas?

NAZAM.COM, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  4. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    So even though I registered dumbass-bush.com as private they know?

Yes, I did register that, and yes they can find out.

Every registrar is still required to give up the information to ICANN so it wouldn't be too long of a hunt for the government.

If they can use the Patriot Act to data mine library records ....

Phone calls can be tapped without warrant ....

wrmineo, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  5. DomainWorks

DomainWorks Peon

Best Answers:
    There have been several instances in which registrars divulged the identities of customers who registered "private domains." The most famous case involved Foetry.com. Interesting reading.

DomainWorks, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  6. 59ideas

59ideas Peon

Best Answers:
    Ever wonder what is the deal with "private" registration?
    It is just an attempt to make loads of money out of nothing.
    Registrars are asking $10 for just sticking their own address and email to the registration?!

People (read those up on the food chain) that seriously want the whois data have ways to get.

If you just want to hide the whois information, just get a proxy to register it.
    Only thing is if you trust the proxy not to run away with your domain.

You guys think there will be a demand if someone setup such a "private domain registration" proxy?

59ideas, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  7. WebWriter

WebWriter Active Member

Best Answers:
    They could find out who spit on the sidewalk last week...so finding out who registered a domain wouldn't be that difficult.

WebWriter, Feb 21, 2006 IP
  8. peterstannard

peterstannard Peon

Best Answers:
    Like has been said earlier if they want to find you then they can/will.

peterstannard, Feb 22, 2006 IP
  9. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    What's the big deal anyway? Just register the domain as you would any other domain and park it, without all this cloak and dagger shit. If they take it off you for typo-squatting, they take it off you. No big deal.

Unless of course, you are planning to get up to no good with the domain by going against that country's national interests, in which case you are a fool or an idiot or both.

What country is it that has the nastiest secret service anyway?

mcfox, Feb 22, 2006 IP
    wrmineo likes this.