1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

can referral hurt your organic

Discussion in 'Google' started by nyssa, Feb 19, 2014.

Hi Webmasters,
    Greeting,

I am getting kind of referral traffic from yesterday.. something call semalt.

I am worried, I have been to this site and found really nothing, it seems site is SPAM or they are crawling others site using some spider.

I am running adsense on my site and my question is does that traffic is safe for adsense or will that affect any organic traffic / ranking on google?

anticipate your response.

regards

Nyssa

nyssa, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  2. wizardofx

wizardofx Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Traffic from semalt can't hurt your Google rankings, Google doesn't even know that they are viewing your site unless they go through a google service of some kind.

And Google knows you have no control over people or robots visiting your site.

If they are hitting your site thousands of times it may mess up your statistical reporting, or may cause your fees to go up, but that's it.

wiz

wizardofx, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  3. nyssa

nyssa Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you @wizardofx for your response.

I will continues monitoring them, if they exceed more then thousands then I will try to blocked them using .htaccess file. And if there is no direct affect on organic traffic or ranking, then I hope it will be fine as well. many thankx for your response.

Nyssa

nyssa, Feb 19, 2014 IP
  4. humtuma

humtuma Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Try to track a particular page. I am sure that you have not purchase any traffic. Organic traffic and referral traffic both are different. Referral traffic can be come from any url. But organic traffic is always a search traffic.

humtuma, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  5. praetserge

praetserge Notable Member

Best Answers:
    A few years ago I had a similar site sending me over 50% of the traffic and it was screwing up my reporting (sorry, I don't remember the name of the site now) so I just denied them access and it stopped.
    Those bots won't affect your ranking anywhere but they will screw up your reports and put more pressure on your hosting so real people might be affected by your site's speed.

praetserge, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  6. Annea

Annea Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't click on the link! Google has addressed this issue for Blogger because it happens on Blogspot blogs all the time. Their number one piece of advice is not to click on the link. They say it is link bait.

And no, I don't think it will hurt you but if they get some link juice from you, that will only encourage them to do it more.

Annea, Feb 20, 2014 IP
  7. ash1ey82

ash1ey82 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Other traffic won't affect google. Google most likely can't check your traffic source.

ash1ey82, Feb 20, 2014 IP