1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

can length of URL have an effect?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by cgo85, Feb 15, 2005.

Can the length of the URL be to long for some SE's?

For example: www. search-realestate.net/ local_real_estate /WA /washington-king-county.php

Can the depth of directories have an effect as well? I've been having a very difficult time getting indexed by Yahoo, and I'm thinking that maybe this could be one of the factors?

cgo85, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  2. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Depth certainly is a factor. Do not know about length of url.

Shannon

Smyrl, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  3. Josh

Josh Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think it can be too long for search engines, but as far as user friendly, that is a little long. I.e. think about trying to give that URL to your friend over the phone ;)

Josh

Josh, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    You are so right there. I found my students could not get to my online pages with url www midland cc tx us/~smyrl/index.htm. Finally got webmaster to put link from homepage. They had enough problem getting to schools home page.

Shannon

Smyrl, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  5. Juls

Juls Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i read somewhere that links shouldnt go in deeper than two directories deep like www.domain.com/dir1/file1.html otherwise se's have a harder time spidering them if they do at all.

in regard to domain name length i dont think it matters much...

good luck.. :)

Juls, Feb 15, 2005 IP
  6. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    It's true and it's not true. Many news sites and blogs have deep urls - like /2005/feb/13/article134.htm - and those articles rank well for some keyword phrases.

I agree with Juls though - I tend to as a rule try to keep things one directory deep with a filename if I want to target a phrase. It's an old SEO piece of advice, but I think it still has at least a little bit of value.

Super-long urls are a no-no. I have trouble sometimes keeping things slim, especially on large sites. The longer the URL, the less chance there is to remember it. I very rarely see a long url ranked highly too. Usually it happens when I'm searching a phrase three words or longer, and almost never on a two word or a one word search.

nevetS, Feb 15, 2005 IP