1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I use images from another site, they are uploaded by their users

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by No User Name, Oct 1, 2012.

1. lapidus

lapidus Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can use any image on internet but with source under every image. If you want to do something else with that image you must contact owner,and you can't sell image.
    Btw every owner of image will not tell you hey don't post my images,because if you put his image on your site (with credit link) he will be more famous.

lapidus, Oct 7, 2012 IP
  2. browntwn

browntwn Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    You do not seem to have a clue what you are talking about. You most certainly may not just use any image on the Internet even if you cite the source you took it from.

When people who do not understand the law, like you, offer legal advice to other webmasters this whole section becomes a joke.

browntwn, Oct 7, 2012 IP
  3. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Brown
    You think if i put source under every image which i use on my site is against law?

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
    lapidus, Oct 7, 2012 IP
  4. browntwn

Best Answers:
    I know that putting a source under an image you otherwise have no legal right to use offers you no protection whatsoever.

browntwn, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  5. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Hm i can't understand what you want to prove.If i sell an image from real owner that is illegal. And i think if i put source under an image, i protect image of real owner, i not understand why you want to prove some illegal activity if that source is on right place.

lapidus, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  6. browntwn

Best Answers:
    Because you do not understand, that alone is a good reason to stop offering people legal advice. I am not trying to prove anything. I am posting to correct your misstatements of the law so others do not foolishly follow your posts and think they are avoiding problems.

Putting the source of an image might be courteous and nice but it does not make your use of an image, that you do not have permission to use, legal. In other words, it does nothing. You either have a legal right to use an image or you do not. Citing the source of the image does not magically give you some right to use an image.

browntwn, Oct 8, 2012 IP
  7. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Well then send me the link where it says that it is against the law that I can not use someone else's image and below it to be source.
    Maybe DMCA say that or who? http://www.dmca.com/

Find me some proof that someone being sued if the source is placed beneath his picture (url from internet)

lapidus, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  8. browntwn

Best Answers:
    It is called copyright law. Here is a source:

http://www.copyright.gov/title17/

Just so we are clear, adding the source below the image does not make it any more or less legal. It is the use of the image without permission that makes it illegal. Adding the source below an image does nothing with regards to the legality of using the image.

p.s. Why would you cite dmca.com? That is a commercial website selling a service. They have nothing to do with the law itself. DMCA is a US law that offers certain protection to Online Service Providers so they can avoid liability when their users upload copyrighted materials without permission. DMCA offers no protection to a webmaster who uploads and uses copyrighted materials to his own website.

browntwn, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  9. lapidus

Best Answers:
    A ok now is clear.
    If i contact owner of image and ask he for permission to i can upload his image on my website with source,then that is ok.

Conclusion: You will not have a problem if you first ask for permission from owner of that image.

lapidus, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  10. anarayan

anarayan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have seen people find ways to get around this. Unless the picture specifically says its copyrighted or whatever it is licensed it...I have seen people put up those pictures and then somewhere on the site it needs to say that you are not liable for those pictures being there and if those pictures infringe on any copyright laws to contact the site owner (list your email) so that the pictures may be taken down. If it's pictures of food, normally it will not be a huge issue. When you are taking other pictures such as those from Corbis or other picture sites (such as what Google Images does) then they can really come after you. Also depends on how successful your site is because if you make lots of money, someone will want the easy way to get their hands on your money - which means that you might get sued.

Again, as I have said people use above ways to get around these issues, I do not know if they work or not because all pictures I use, I pay for. It's the safe way of doing things.

anarayan, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  11. CU_Designs

CU_Designs Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    It's not illegal if the users have given up their rights. And the only way to find out is by reading the terms. A lot of people don't read terms and conditions of websites before they start uploading things (if only people read even Facebook's terms and how they have rights to use everyone's photos/vids and upload-goodies however they wish -- people should read before uploading their life's photos and all that). So check out what the terms have to say in regards to uploading images. And remember, just because someone uploads something, doesn't mean that person had a right to upload whatever they did. Anyone can upload something, it's a matter of whether or not that person who uploaded had rights to the image to begin with. So be careful and always check the terms. If you want free images to use you can do a Google search for 'public domain images' or 'free public domain images' or anything along those lines. Sxc.hu has free stock images along with freerangestock.com and there are many more you can do a Google search for.

But regardless which site you go to, please make sure you read the terms of each site before using the images. Not all images are even within these sites' rights to be redistributing. But such sites allow anyone to upload without requiring documented proof they own what they are uploading. This is where these sites mess up and can find themselves in ridiculous legal issues.

I'm reminded of something that was in the news some long time ago. A family's photo was bought at a site like iStockphoto.com (it wasn't this site persay) and that photo was blown up and posted in a store's window in another country (I think it was England). And how the family found out, was that their friend was in that country and just so happened to see it and called their friend to let them know if they were aware. And the family was not aware. So there was some legalities and the store owners said they bought it from a site like iStockphoto.com. I can't remember the exact site and I don't remember the outcome. If by some miracle, I come across the article from so long ago, then I'll let you know.

But my point is, you just never know. So read the terms, but use your best judgment and find a way to protect yourself against someone attempting to sue you for getting something you thought was legal. That goes for the recipe question you asked, too.

CU_Designs, Oct 9, 2012 IP
  12. lapidus

Best Answers:

I just want to say if you contact a owner of the image and tell him that you will upload his image on your site with source url,and if he say: Ok no problem. Then you are safe.

lapidus, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  13. ttfken

ttfken Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've successfully had a site shut down with a DMCA request due to the same type of thing. Citing the source is not enough. When I own an image, I determine how it is used, licensed and distributed, not you.

ttfken, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  14. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Well that means that person not contact you for permission on setting up the source below your picture?

Last edited: Oct 10, 2012
    lapidus, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  15. ttfken

ttfken Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    They gave the source and no they did not contact me. If they did contact me... I would say no. And I would also monitor their web site to make sure they didn't later take it without permission. I work hard to create content, and to pay for images (when I do not create my own). Others should work hard to create their own content or buy it, instead of trying to make money from my hard work. Even if they are not making money on their site, they are still taking money away from me. Everyone who sees the content on their site is someone who doesn't see it on my site where I have advertisements. Think about this - when someone has a copyright it means they own the right to copy it - no one else does. It's not called "CopyRightExceptWhenCited".

ttfken, Oct 10, 2012 IP
  16. lapidus

Best Answers:
    Ok, depend from owner to owner. Lot of owners of images when i ask them to i can put image with source on my site then i have have permission from them,source link then everybody can see that i promote other property. Btw they are happy because i promote his image and he have more visitors on his site.
    He not say nothing about bandwith,because today i think point is to have a good traffic.

lapidus, Oct 11, 2012 IP
  17. cherrie

cherrie Peon

Best Answers:
    I do not work in the legal field but I do work with several graphic artists ,
    You will find answers to your copyright questions on the following pages
    hope this helps...

www whatiscopyright org

www whatiscopyright org/#information

cherrie, Oct 11, 2012 IP