1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I run an Apache server using COX?

Discussion in 'Apache' started by garryarm1, Jul 21, 2006.

Im a new user, im sure this has probably been asked a zillion times so please forgive me. My ISP is COX cable. Can I run an Apache server using COX?
    Thanks!

garryarm1, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    T0PS3O, Jul 21, 2006 IP
  3. KLB

KLB Peon

Best Answers:
    Am I correct in assuming you want to run Apache on your own computer via your Internet connection with Cox cable? If so, you technically you could probably set up the server, but Cox cable might not allow you to run your own web server if you have just a standard residential account.

KLB, Jul 22, 2006 IP
  4. euphers

euphers Peon

Best Answers:
    Most broadband ISP's don't allow you run personal webservers through the service, without upgrading to a business level package. However, it's possible. All you need to do is set up the Apache webserver (on windows or unix).

If you have a firewall, make sure to open up the port you want to access your webserver through, for example, if you are going to run against the default port 80, then open this up on the firewall (I would recommend using a different port though, unless you are very familiar with locking down your webserver).

Then, you should be able access your webserver from the ip address that cox has assigned your computer. This ip address will change over time, so keep an eye out for this.

Also, if you want domain name for your personal webserver, check http://www.zoneedit.com. They offer a free DynamicDNS service. Works well!

Finally, be warned...This is against most ISP's Usage policies. If they find out your running a personal web server, they could terminate your service.

euphers, Jul 26, 2006 IP
  5. jjacquay712

jjacquay712 Peon

Best Answers:
    cox wont let you run a web server from port 80 (dirty bastards), but you can run it from port 8000, i have cox and im running apache on port 8000

jjacquay712, Apr 12, 2008 IP
  6. media143

media143 Member

Best Answers:
    I am using Apache with PHP since last 4yrs on window xp and could not find any problems, Regarding COX try to contact technical support team of Hosting Provider.

media143, May 8, 2010 IP