1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I pull this off?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by Googles76, Apr 23, 2005.

Ok here is the story. A while back I had an old site with a free domain name which somehow mysteriously got into Dmoz. Me being a noob back then didn't think much of it. Now that I have a good site setup it is impossible to get listed in Dmoz :rolleyes: However, even though the old domain was removed from Dmoz, I can still see it in the Google Directory. So what I'm wondering is this, could it be possible for me to do a 301 redirect of my old domain to my new one and hope that my new site will get picked up in the Google Directory?

Googles76, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  2. T0PS3O

T0PS3O Feel Good PLC

Best Answers:
    Damn people at DMOZ. I hear nothing but complaints about them sneakily including people who haven;t been waiting for no time at all! :( Pisses me off...

I doubt a 301 will add your new domain into the directory but it will pass the value of the old listing (though they might take it out since it isn;t really valid no more).

T0PS3O, Apr 23, 2005 IP
  3. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    The Google directory IS the dreaded DMOZ. However, these days Google doesn't seem to update their DMOZ feed more than a couple of times a year (if that). That's probably why you're still in the Google directory even though DMOZ dropped you.

So no... redirecting won't get your new site into the Google directory...

minstrel, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  4. Stin

Stin Guest

Best Answers:
    Does that old domain still have the 4k backlinks a DMOZ listing usually gets? If so, just setup a page there with a link to your nice domain. I think google will penalize a redirect as duplicate?

Stin, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  5. rob777

rob777 Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree.

IF your site will never be listed in Dmoz (as you say), you might as well use those back links from the many other directories that used Dmoz data to populate their site.

I think a redirect would be a second option. I woud first go with a landing page (doorway). Put a little taste of your real site there (if it is the same topic as described in your directory listings) and then link to the main domain.

This would reject your site from being listed in Dmoz, but if you know it will never be there anyway, you have nothing to lose.

Later,
    Rob

rob777, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  6. Design Agent

Design Agent Peon

Best Answers:
    If its been dropped by dmoz it willbe dropped by the google Dir on the next update. An update happened a month or so ago, so there will probably be one in a couple of months.

Design Agent, Apr 24, 2005 IP
  7. minstrel

minstrel Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I said,
    You said,
    What exactly was updated a month or so ago?

minstrel, Apr 24, 2005 IP