1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Google one day take over Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Google' started by ST12, Mar 1, 2006.

1. L146705

L146705 Peon

Best Answers:
    Theres a few wanting to switch, but is this really going to make an impact? I don't think so. Are users going to uninstall windows and risk losing all thier software and documents just to try installing a different os? Are they gonna retrain themsleves to use Google OS? People use windows at college/work and have grown up using it, which makes it strong product.
    The only place google os will have a chance is in developing countries like china, india mainly because the product is free.

L146705, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  2. L146705

L146705 Peon

Best Answers:
    the more products they add the weaker the image of Google being a search engine will become in the mind of the consumer.
    For example what is google, is it email(gmail), online talk(gtalk), picture editing (picasa), search engine, map finder(google maps), shopping price comparsion (froogle), operating system, etc...

I like google search, I actually done my uni final year project on it, but when it comes to them taking over microsoft, it isn't going to happen.

L146705, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  3. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    Search doesn't make money... AdWords/Adsense does, GTalk, Picasa, Google Maps, and perhaps Froogle & Google Base have the potential.

So does an OS, if they can get it bundled with an affordable system. One of the things the internet revolution has done is to create a chasm between those who have access to information all the time, and those who must go to the library, school, or internet cafe. Microsoft often gives away hardware, software, and grants to institutions to help out, and it leads to product loyalty later. Add to that those who live in rural or undeveloped areas, and the chasm is even larger.

There is somebody that was working on a cheap laptop, with a built-in windup generator, simple OS, and was planning on giving it away in third world countries to children as a way of giving them a boost up.

If Google were to do launch an OS, it would be smart to follow that model somewhat, perhaps base the price on income... they would get that leg up with the low income earning families, and it would make bucks when these kids grew up to hold decent jobs and could afford a computer at full price. The loyalty would be huge.

NetMidWest, Mar 5, 2006 IP
  4. ST12

ST12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion everything is possible. Windows has monopoly for now, but what lasts forever? Things change. Actually, a big PC manufacture can do harm to Bill. Simply pre-install Linix on all PC's they sell and let the user chose which OS to use. I used to be a PC tech support person for a few years, and can tell you that for the end user it wouldn't be a big difference between Windows and Linix. Many businesses thogh would really save BIG not paying for all those Windows licenses. I am surprised why they don't do it. Actually if the goverment wants to break Bill's monopoly they can simply request all new PC's to be pre-installed with Linix as well.
    st12

ST12, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  5. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would be a difficult decision to make for a big supplier to change their pre installed OS to Nix. It would hurt their profits as it could cut sales. I know the company I work for has about 50000 employees and all PC's and servers are Windows. If our main supplier changed then we would just change suppliers.

Also I dont think the government would make such a request to make sure all PC's are installed with Nix... I am sure they have other things to worry about.

It's hard to say who will win... I think MS is quite far ahead and has millions of it's products installed all over the world where as google is just a service provider and people dont "have" to use it each day. I can switch this second from using anything google if I wanted, but to switch my PC here to Nix would cause problems and I wouldnt be able to do my job as effictlvly.

MatthewN, Mar 10, 2006 IP
  6. ST12

ST12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you 100%. For big companies, it is quite difficult to do that kind of changes. They can start with home users though. The goverment won't like Linix to be preinstalled on PC's. Less taxes for them. Too much money is at stake for the goverment, politicians etc.. The goverment similar to politicians, thinks first for themselves and then for the crowd.

ST12, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  7. vic_msn

vic_msn Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Google may be the King of Search engines but Microsoft is definitely King of Kings atleast when fans like me are around.Tell me who can beat micro for the services they provide they gave you the first web based mail,they give msn ,...

vic_msn, Mar 12, 2006 IP
  8. intruth

intruth Guest

Best Answers:
    I think within 3 to 4 years you will see Microsoft and Google merge

intruth, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  9. Manish Pandey

Manish Pandey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No NEVER!

MICROSOFT isn't a search engine... It's the software GIANT we use without it we can't work on the PC... Bill Gates knows the market very well, he has started in the hardware too... That's the reason this simple guy is the most richest person of the world for 12 yrs... and no body is even close to him.

Manish

Manish Pandey, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  10. dpak

dpak Peon

Best Answers:
    The area where Google could easily enter the OS market is with the home users who just use their computers for surfing the web and checking their email. If a home user was given the option to pay $300 for Windows/Office software or have Linux/GoogleOS installed for free, which do you they would choose?

Google is a LONG ways away from even coming close to the market share which Microsoft has, but they would have to start somewhere. Having some competition in the OS market would benefit everyone.

dpak, Mar 13, 2006 IP
  11. ST12

ST12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In my opinion it is time for competition in the OS market. Long dominance from anybody is not good for the consumer. We should be able easy to switch from one OS to another in case there is a virus issue, or one wants just speed without all the features XP offers. For me if somebody comes with OS delivering speed, security and stability (no freezings, and crashes) will be able to take big share of the OS market. Who can make such an OS?
    st12

ST12, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  12. MatthewN

MatthewN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It would be interesting to see a Google OS and I would quickly try it out my self. The problem is that it would never be out of Beta :D I am sure all their other software is still Beta.

MatthewN, Mar 14, 2006 IP
    Marcus_Westberg likes this.
  13. Marcus_Westberg

Marcus_Westberg Peon

Best Answers:
    Why can´t Yahoo just upgrade their entire thinking and start competing with Google? Competition is good for us...

Marcus_Westberg, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  14. Basoone

Basoone Peon

Best Answers:
    It wouldnt hurt if they plan the switch. If companies switch to Linux or any opensource rather than a new version of windows they actually will save alot. In doing that they should create their personalized office software to a multi platform system (can do it using java), or create emulator that will simply emulate their software to run on Linux or any OS.

Basoone, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  15. ST12

ST12 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with you Basoone. Seems like the government wants to spend tax payers money, and keep Windows. Gates sells Windows all over the world and gets billions of $$$. That could be the BIG reason for keeping it. They don't seem to be encouraging competition in the OS market and somebody has to muscle in.
    st12

ST12, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  16. cyberknight

cyberknight Peon

Best Answers:
    Hardware and software support is very labor-intensive. Much of what google does to make money is automated. That is why they've made so much so quickly. Why would they want to move from automation to supporting a product that's more labor-intensive?

Cyberknight

cyberknight, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  17. MediaHustler

MediaHustler Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm not familiar with internet slang whats

OS mean?

MediaHustler, Mar 14, 2006 IP
  18. pkchukiss

pkchukiss Peon

Best Answers:
    OS: Operating System, the software that controls your hardware and enables applications to be run on them.

Alternatively, you should Google it (there is an impolite site to send forum users to, but the URL is too vulgar to post it here).

pkchukiss, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  19. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maybe it's not a question of "can" they, but "when". Look at the two companies now; everything M$ has done via the Internet is basically to catch up to Google. The geeks over at Google are so far ahead of M$ that I think it's only a matter of time. Google WILL expand offline sooner or later. I'm shock they haven't gone into ISP yet, what with their massive name recognition.

jackburton2006, Mar 15, 2006 IP
  20. pkchukiss

pkchukiss Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is already planning a free wireless service roll out in San Francisco, so I think this basically means they are an ISP.

pkchukiss, Mar 16, 2006 IP