1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Google one day take over Microsoft?

Discussion in 'Google' started by ST12, Mar 1, 2006.

Can Google one day take over Microsoft?

Google for example can create web page creation software, that will be optimized for Google SE and give better rankings for the web pages created by its software. That in turn can make many webmasters chose the Google's software. Google is pushing now Firefox which is gaining popularity and taking into account how fast Google grows on day Google may just decide it is tima for a Google OS which will be the choice for publishers, advertisers, searchers .....
    Just my thoughts.
    st12

ST12, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  2. Huvet

Huvet Member

Best Answers:
    Enter Google Sitemaps (make it easier to crawl your site). Enter Google Pings (tell google when you update). Enter Google Analytics (give google all your visitor stats). All those three can be used to get information about pages that can be used to boost some pages and drop others. Clearly a way to give google more information than the others.

Huvet, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  3. BamaStangGuy

BamaStangGuy Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I welcome it. Microsoft and Google fighting it out OS to OS would be interesting.

BamaStangGuy, Mar 1, 2006 IP
  4. bpeh_cart

bpeh_cart Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    google is king of search engine. microsoft is king of OS....I think its going to stay like this for another 5 years or so.

bpeh_cart, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  5. rehash

rehash Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    microsoft king of OS?? I assume you are talking about workstation OS and you mean popularity and not quality...

rehash, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  6. SumitBahl

SumitBahl Reign of Chaos

Best Answers:
    I dont think google can take over or overtake microsoft. Microsoft is too big and it is more into products while google is more into services.

SumitBahl, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  7. Basoone

Basoone Peon

Best Answers:
    Microsoft still rules the os market thats why software companies create windows compatible softwares. If G wants to take the os market it will be better if they make Google OS a flavor of linux for compatibility issues.

Basoone, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  8. NetMidWest

NetMidWest Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the greatest business deal of the 20th Century was when Bill Gates bought DOS from IBM...

Maybe if Google built a time machine, went back and outbid him... :D

NetMidWest, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  9. hugmyciaalien

hugmyciaalien Peon

Best Answers:
    i believe you're all thinking small. why buy a large company to do a small job for a horrifyingly large amount, when you can buy a small company to do larger jobs for less money.

for google to take over from MS, it would need a desktop OS, and there are not that many to choose from apart from linux, OS X, windows and small offshoots like QNX, BSD, etc. linux makes a poor desktop OS, but it makes a very smooth server OS. google does not have the resources to build hardware or software on that scale, but companies like apple and microsoft do. most of the back end of google runs on linux, iirc.

more likely though, since linux is free and really cheap to distribute & brand, the possibility of google hosting company intranets & commercial web hosting is just around the corner. it could easily be a myspace or even a dreamhost with the ability to just open the doors and take large chunks away from the current market leaders.who wouldn't consider giving google their site to manage, account & rank for them ?

after taking over the hosting market, they could also introduce google business communications services to replace notes/exchange services, not just email. a google server would be installed to organise your business, and allow you to be independent of MS or Windows on a PC. since it runs linux for most of the servers, a thin client could replace the need to have MS office suite licenses or MS windows licenses on hundreds of systems. it could even be OSX/Windows independent.

once google moves into providing more integral services, they might move even further out from providing a searching service, to managing information and managing more diverse services like a thin client connected to a google-enabled Office communications suite...

the possibilities are endless

hugmyciaalien, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  10. rlynch

rlynch Peon

Best Answers:
    who is king then?

rlynch, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  11. Jufcy8200

Jufcy8200 Banned

Best Answers:
    Microsoft is so far ahead of Google. They make PCs, Software, etc. etc. etc, etc. Yea Google search engine is great, but lets not give them too much credit as to say they might take over Microsoft!!

Also compare each company's actual worth. Microsoft has been around for ages and can account for its capital. Now look at Google - the company is so over valued because of their stock. If they ever went out of business - hypothetically speaking - A LOT of people would be left w/ nothing to show for...

Jufcy8200, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  12. simons1321

simons1321 Peon

Best Answers:
    Google+Linux = Goobuntu

www[dot]theregister.co.uk/2006/01/31/google_goes_desktop_linux/

simons1321, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  13. Dekieon

Dekieon Peon

Best Answers:
    Yea i doubt google will be able to take over microsoft.
    Firstly google would have to get into software development, and make an OS that 95% of the world would use. And to get that many people willing to use it, the companies that program software, would all have to be willing to develop for it, but getting them to develope for it wouldn't be the easiest thing to do, because at the start practically no one would be using the OS.

Secondly, google, would have to expanded not only to developing an os, they would have to expand to do all the underhanded things that microsoft has been doing for years. With one focus, which would be to destory all other software companies, making them the one and only.

I highly doubt anything like this would happen.

Dekieon, Mar 2, 2006 IP
  14. L146705

L146705 Peon

Best Answers:
    People will not switch from microsoft products becuase they know how to work and use them. Also Google hasn't got the experiance, market share, cash or expertise of microsoft. Bill Gates has said he is more worried about IBM than Google. Google has dilluted its brand image by releasing loads of different software.

L146705, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  15. tbarr60

tbarr60 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    There are plenty of us waiting to switch from Windows but I don't see Linux as ready for the masses and Macs are pricey. So Google could come up with a user friendly, inexpensive PC/OS they would do well. Sun could be a good fit as it 1990's products like Java lose a bit of their momentum.

tbarr60, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  16. Sharpseo

Sharpseo Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah, it's stronger than ever. Google is still a verb, almost synonymous with search.

The fact that they now give me high quality map, satellite, image management, desktop search, and other software only makes me think more highly of them.

Sharpseo, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  17. iqra_psh

iqra_psh Active Member

Best Answers:
    And i would like to see google wining ;)

iqra_psh, Mar 3, 2006 IP
  18. boohlick

boohlick Banned

Best Answers:
    what is the url for this google pings?

Thanks

boohlick, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  19. chachacallis

chachacallis Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i would love to see google have a go at them

chachacallis, Mar 4, 2006 IP
  20. Guru

Guru Peon

Best Answers:
    Lol people like google better but coming down to facts microsoft is still alot higher than them in many areas(obviously not search engines).

Guru, Mar 4, 2006 IP