1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can Forums be a full-time profession?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by XooX, Nov 21, 2007.

1. calum

calum Peon

Best Answers:
    Really thats terrible, www.computalk.net which is mine gets around 30 posts a day and I get around $2.50 a day on it.

calum, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  2. ruffnat

ruffnat Peon

Best Answers:
    that's really good.

how many unique visitors do you get from google every day?

ruffnat, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  3. cre8ive

cre8ive Peon

Best Answers:
    Yeah ... would you tell us how you manage to do that ...? 30 posts a day and you make $2.50 from that? It's a very very good rate you're getting.

cre8ive, Nov 22, 2007 IP
  4. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have had $25,000 worth of active forum sales in 2007. I can take a domain, setup a forums, bring in traffic, create activity, and then sell for profit. I plan to write more details into an ebook on how to run a successful forums sometime early next year. I just acquired startforums.com which I plan to use as a hub to help new webmaster monetize forums and set them up.

Forums are tricky...they are not simple. But with experience and proper help most forums can have some level of success if the base is there. By base I mean a good topic and a good domain.

Now I also want to state I do not work "full-time" on only forums. But ....I sysadmin for a friend that does. He started his forums about 5 years ago. It's now a top 10k Alexa site with over 3 million posts and 100k members. The database is about 4 GB. He makes 6 figures a year revenue from this one site. He quit his job 2 years ago. Recently he has been approached by a large conglomerate interested in his site...he may end up getting a 7 figure sale from this site.

So yes...it's not only possible but many actually do it.

RectangleMan, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  5. Whitey

Whitey Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lmfao, learn what your talking about before you come out with idiotic remarks like that;)

Whitey, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  6. XooX

XooX Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Rectangleman

you have really got me motivated with forums. I know it might not be appropriate to ask for all secrets and tips especially since you are coming out with your own ebook., but could you give tips to starters on how to push the forum to atleast become something of 200-300 posts a day?

XooX, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  7. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    With anything that's of good value there is no easy shortcut. It takes time and effort...sometimes great effort. The key is attracting a base. I like to have a core of 10-15 regular posters that make about 50 posts a day...start off with small incremental goals. Try to achieve 20 logged in members in a day. Try to achive 50 posts in a day. Grow slowly but surely. Balance promotion with activity. If you site has "leveled-off" in stats then look to promote. Be creative with your promotion and mix it up. There are dozens of ways to attract visitors. Watch the traffic on your site carefully. I find Google Analytics to be very good for this.

If you get to 200-300 posts a day that's a good respectable amount of traffic and activity.

Here are just some of the markers of a successful forum.

1. Daily uniques
    2. Bounce rate
    3. New member signups per day
    4. New posts per day

That should help you a bit.

RectangleMan, Nov 24, 2007 IP
    XooX likes this.
  8. ruffnat

ruffnat Peon

Best Answers:
    teach me then Whitey, you seem to think you know the difference between right and wrong :confused:

ruffnat, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  9. ForgottenCreature

ForgottenCreature Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It generated $10k/month last year according to the new york times article.

ForgottenCreature, Nov 24, 2007 IP
  10. Dustin12

Dustin12 Peon

Best Answers:
    No you can't. It's simply impossible. You can make an average sized forum, maybe one the size of a site like easternuswx.com if it's in an untaken niche, but your going to basically get a moderate sized forum, if you put a lot of effort and money into it.

Dustin12, Nov 24, 2007 IP