1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can css be an option for faster loading of images?

Discussion in 'CSS' started by Edz, Nov 27, 2005.

I have absolutely no knowledge about CSS so if i am totally wrong here then don't hold it against me.

Can i put my images of my website in a CSS stylesheet and would this improve the overall loading time?

Some websites that i visit that hold the same or even more amount of images of my own website appear on my screen (and i have cable) in an instant in contrast to my own page where i see them in a couple of seconds.

Could CSS help me in letting my page appear in an instant? for cable users that is...the size of the page in general without images isn't that large.

I was just wondering if this could be a nice solution so if anyone can fill me in on this, Great;)

Edz, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  2. FeelLikeANut

FeelLikeANut Peon

Best Answers:
    Nope. I'm afraid no form of client-side code will do anything for you here. Perhaps your images are larger than you think, or not optimized as well as they could be.

FeelLikeANut, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  3. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Or the servers on the other site are faster.

I've been blown away by how much faster a client site loads since they went onto a managed server from a shared host. wow!

sarahk, Nov 27, 2005 IP
  4. Dread

Dread Peon

Best Answers:
    CSS will not change the time to download an image. CSS is a tool for presentation, it does not actually help the delivery of information.

Dread, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  5. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    Ok, thanks guys:cool:

Too bad though, i optimized my images to the best of my ability and the whole page is about 35+Kb and compared to other sites where i see pages appear in an instant and are even a bit bigger then that, including images, i really thought i am missing out on something.

Must be because i am on a shared hosting account.

Edz, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  6. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    What's the page? We might be able to see the problem.

Have you got gzip turned on?

sarahk, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  7. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    What is gzip Sarah?

Could i see this in my hosting control panel? i got a godaddy shared (economy) hosting account.

Never saw this.

Edz, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  8. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't know about godaddy. It should be automatically on.

chuck us the page and let us take a look ;)

sarahk, Nov 28, 2005 IP
  9. Edz

Edz Peon

Best Answers:
    Nah, it's nothing personal but i tend to keep my domain and coming domains to myself and don't want to risk when i hopefully get accepted in the adsense program to be banned by a vindictive action from someone.
    You never know, i don't have any problems with members here (not that i know of) but it's a good thing to try to hold on the first rule of adsense as Gadood told before...don't talk about adsense... so this also includes my site (s)

Also when i have ideas it wouldn't be wise for me to bring this under the attention of other people like me that is always looking or thinking of a new idea to work on.

It's not that of a problem and i bet it's because i'm on a shared hosting account with about 300+ other domains.
    It's just something that made me wonder if it has to do something with CSS;)

Edz, Nov 28, 2005 IP