1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Buying Can anyone speed up some of my web pages?

Discussion in 'Programming' started by regencytimberbuildings, Feb 7, 2015.

Hi,

I am looking for someone who can help speed up some of the pages on my website, but dont want to lose any image quality.

The pages I am most concerned with are-
    http://www.regencytimberbuildings.co.uk google pagespeed insights says its 54/100 for desktop at the moment.

http://www.regencytimberbuildings.co.uk/timber_garages.htm google pagespeed insights says its 33/100 for desktop at the moment.

http://www.regencytimberbuildings.co.uk/timber_workshops.htm google pagespeed insights says its 38/100 for desktop at the moment.

If the whole site can have the load speed increase somehow even better but those are the most important pages for me.

Can Any one help?
    If you can please private message me your price for this.

Thanks.
    Paul.

regencytimberbuildings, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  2. Arick unirow

Arick unirow Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 3
    While this thread is to request another people to do the job, I think it would be easier for you to do it by yourself plus you will get much more knowledge on how to speed up your site.

I have checked your site and it surely good site with visibility come as first priority. You should focus on Performance and SEO as I believe it would help your site in long-term.

This is the result I got from PingDom while checking your site:
    performance.jpg
    Based on this result, it seems the site would load faster by serving images from Cookieless domain and Leveraging browser caching.

To improve performance, here are what you need to do:
    1. Reduce the size of your images while keeping the quality.
      You can do this by using well-known software or Online website like as "Tiny PNG". The reduction in size is about 26% - 83%.
      As an example, I have used the site to reduce two of your images into smaller size.
      images.jpg
      With smaller file size, the site would load faster.
      Tips:
      - Try to use CSS image sprite whenever possible. By combining lots of image into one or few images, there would be fewer requests.
      - Drag and drop the images to make the progress goes faster while converting your images.

Difficulty: Very easy
      Time to complete: Depend on the images.
    2. Specify expiration date for static resources.
      Static resources such as Images, CSS file, JS files and much more should have at-least an expiration date. To overcome this problem, set Expiry Header for static resources or set Cache Control Header.
      By specifying Cache Control or Expiry Header, the visitor would not ask the same files again if it already retrieved previously which make your site loading almost instantly.
      Tips:
      - To set Cache Control or Expiry Header, you could use the features used by your webserver (.htaccess for Apache and individual setting for Nginx).
      Difficulty: Normal / Easy
      Time to complete: Normal - up to 3 hours / Easy - Less than 10 minutes.
    3. Compress CSS and JS files.
      CSS and JS are important part of your site. It should be optimized before any other element. Your site is not yet optimized to load as fast as possible. To solve this problem, you need to use the features offered by your webserver.
      Tips:
      - Use your WebServer features to compress the files. Your NginX webServer could be configured to compress Text/CSS, Text/JS, Text/XML, Text/HTM and much more.
      - Minifying the files may result in smaller file size (before/after compression).

Difficulty: Normal / Easy
      Time to complete: An hour / Less than ten minutes.
    4. Serve JQuery from Google Hosted Library. Google stated:
      You were using JQuery 1.6.4 and it is better to serve JQuery files from Google Hosted Library.
      - change the link in your site/page.
      The reasons why Google Hosted Library much more better are:
      - It served through Google Server (high speed CDN)
      - If the code is already available in another site and that visitor visit your site, the browser would not retrieve that file again but use already retrieved file. That visitor will get faster loading times due to cache-able resources.
      Tips:
      - Save bandwidth by using trusted third party hosted library.
      - Always use the latest Jquery as it have better features and many sites use it. JQuery 2.1.3 is the latest version at the moment.

Difficulty: Very Easy.
      Time to complete: less than five minutes.
    Those four optimization above surely will help your site load faster. I recommend to do it by yourself because it is not that hard plus you would find lots of small optimization along the way.

There is an alternative to fix your site easily. Here they are:
    1. Use CDN to serve static files. There are paid and free CDN. Use the one based on your needs.
    2. If you use CDN, it will automatically set "expire header" for your static content.
    3. Get better server. Your server is already good and at this moment you don't need to buy it. I list it here in-case you need to get new server. The problem lies on the site and not the server so changing server would not give much benefits. Optimizing how the site works will make it load fast.
    Another idea to speed up your site:
    1. Change site to WordPress. HTML/Custom sites have better loading speed if configured correctly but WordPress have all what it needs to make your site load fast. All of them available for free. You can do this by yourself.
    2. Turn your site into 'static' by using proper expiry header and use CDN to serve the request. It will make your site loading very fast because the request is served via CDN without touching your server at all.
    That are few ideas which may able to help you speed up your site. I do apology if my ideas may not that great. I usually need more than a week (two days is the fastest times and three weeks is the longest) to evaluate each website and optimize it based on that evaluation. I am writing the ideas above after evaluating your site for thirteen minutes (Testing request - HTTP Header - Checking Compression via NginX- Page Load time - Concurrent Request - Site behavior, etc). Due to short time frame in evaluating the site, my opinion above may not that accurate.

In my opinion, the site would load faster even just by doing one or more ideas above. I would try to help you answer your questions if you need help. At this time, I have too many work need to be done (preparing teaching materials for my student).

Believe me, optimizing the site is Fun and Challenging. It is not that hard once you know how to interact with server and find out how a site rendered in browser.

Arick

Last edited: Feb 7, 2015
    Arick unirow, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  3. regencytimberbuildings

regencytimberbuildings Active Member

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Thanks for the comprehensive reply. But most of what you said is over my head unfortunately.
    It will be easier to pay someone

4. regencytimberbuildings

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I think the java image slider is slowing things down a lot because it contains a lot of images but I think they are already compressed.

5. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 3
    I am agree with you. The slider actually load 30 images with a total of more than 2 megabytes. After optimizing your images, the size become a mega and few kilobytes (I have compressed 30 images and would upload it here but Digitalpoint did allow it to be uploaded due to file size restriction). In my opinion, the site will look better with just five or six images being featured in that slide show.
    slider.jpg
    I previously stated about JavaScript (used to display SlideShow) which need to be compressed to get better loading speed (the java-script is named as amazingslider.js). look at the image below.
    slider-2.jpg
    slider-3.jpg
    The amazingslider.js is already minified (optimized) but it is not being Compressed by your WebServer (NginX didn't compress it because it didn't configured to do so).
    To check whether part of resources in your site are compressed or not you can use online tools such as HTTP Header Checker. Here is the result of your JS file analyzed with HTTP Header checker.
    File to analyze: http://www.regencytimberbuildings.co.uk/homecomp2/jquery.js
    Result:
    analyze.jpg
    It tells us if compression may not being configured for .JS file. You can enable compression with your site via PHP or using Nginx. I prefer Nginx as it is faster and reliable.

So How do we know if the file is compressed or not when browser request it?
    Please take a look at an example below.
    Here is an example of HTTP header from DigitalPoint JS file:
    File to analyze: https://x.dpstatic.com/j/jquery/jquery-1.11.0.min.js
    Result:
    analyzed-2.jpg
    GZIP in the red circle above mean the file is compressed before it is being sent to visitors. Your server send the file as is and not compress JS or CSS file.

## Probably Out Of topic ##
    You can add this code to add expiry header and compress JS or CSS file. Insert it into NginX config file. Please understand to only insert it into your domain configuration (listed in NGINX Configuration).
    gzip on;
        gzip_types text/css text/x-component application/x-javascript application/javascript text/javascript text/x-js text/richtext image/svg+xml text/plain text/xsd text/xsl text/xml image/x-icon;
        location ~ \.(css|htc|js|js2|js3|js4)$ {
            expires 31536000s;
            add_header Pragma "public";
            add_header Cache-Control "max-age=31536000, public";
        }
        location ~ \.(htm|rtf|rtx|svg|svgz|txt|xsd|xsl|xml)$ {
            expires 86400s;
            add_header Cache-Control "max-age=86400, public";
        }
        location ~ \.(asf|asx|wax|wmv|wmx|avi|bmp|class|divx|doc|docx|eot|exe|gif|gz|gzip|ico|jpg|jpeg|jpe|json|mdb|mid|midi|mov|qt|mp3|m4a|mp4|m4v|mpeg|mpg|mpe|mpp|otf|odb|odc|odf|odg|odp|ods|odt|ogg|pdf|png|pot|pps|ppt|pptx|ra|ram|svg|svgz|swf|tar|tif|tiff|ttf|ttc|wav|wma|wri|xla|xls|xlsx|xlt|xlw|zip)$ {
            expires 31536000s;
            add_header Cache-Control "max-age=31536000, public";
        }
    Code (markup):
    ## End of Out Of Topic ##

I do apology for delay in reply as I have another things to be done at the moment. The clock is already at 03:27 AM and I am getting sleepy.

Arick

6. regencytimberbuildings

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Hi
    Thanks for the information.
    I do appreciate your time
    But I have to admit most of what you said is beyond my understanding.
    I know I should educate myself in such things but I don't think it's my area I am more comfortable working with my hands with wood.
    But thanks

Arick unirow likes this.
  7. Arick unirow

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 3
    As Buyer:
    100% - 3
    Each people have their own specialty. :)
    I believe you would find someone whom able to do as what you wish. You just need to ask someone to do as what we have discussed in this thread and he/she will understand about it.

Keeping developing the site. It remain me of someone whom selling Horse Ranch in UK (I meet him few years ago. He is selling ranches in UK - I forget the city).

8. Alexstorm

Alexstorm Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    Arick, Excellent info. Regency Timber, you should definitely vote his answer as best. I think Arick deserves something nice in the mail. I am keeping a copy of his answers.

Alexstorm, Feb 18, 2015 IP
  9. regencytimberbuildings

Best Answers:
    As Seller:
    100% - 0
    As Buyer:
    100% - 0
    I would vote as best answer if I knew how?

regencytimberbuildings, Feb 18, 2015 IP