1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

can anyone help to answer my question regarding canadian law

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by senecacollege, Mar 19, 2016.

one of my friends was working in a small wedding decoration company, after he finished backdrop, head table decor and chair cover decor at wedding venue, he took a picture of them by his own cell phone and kept it as the works he have ever taken part in. and his company owner also took a picture of them posted it to company website as the recent works. few months ago, my friend left the company and started his own wedding decor business, build up the website and put up the wedding decoration pictures he ever took, and also use those pictures to promote his business, then the company owner that he ever worked for knew this, called my friend and asked my friend to take off those pictures from my friend's website, otherwise he will find a lawyer to file lawsuit to my friend, my friend feel confused, he feel this look like a threat from business competitor. but he is not sure if he can use those pictures to promote his business. does he need to remove those pictures from his website by the law?
    thanks for your time reading and sorry for my english if you dont understand what I said above.

senecacollege, Mar 19, 2016 IP
  2. qwikad.com

qwikad.com Illustrious Member Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    When you get hired usually you sign a contract. In that contract there is always a fine print. If that fine print says that an employee cannot start his own business or use the materials he had at his disposal at the place of employment for XX number of years or in XX mile radius after termination then, no, your friend cannot use those images since they were taken while he was still employed at that company.

I hear Stanley Steemer wins every time (shuts a business down and collects $4k+ in fines) someone leaves them to start their own carpet cleaning business. Stanley Steemer employment contract clearly states what you can or cannot do after leaving their company.

Will your friend's former employer sue your friend? I doubt it. Who would want to spend thousands in fees for a few pictures? Sounds unrealistic to me.

qwikad.com, Mar 20, 2016 IP
  3. senecacollege

senecacollege Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    when my friend got hired, that wedding decoration company was just start-up, my friend got paid by cash, not even mention of signing any contract or agreement. now my friend start up his own business, the former employer feel this is a threat to their business, because its a competitor to them. I think they felt pissed off when they saw those pictures my friend use to promote business, because the decoration in the pictures were done during my friend employment before, but my friend told me he took those pictures and also finished some decoration works in each wedding event in the pictures.
    currently my friend just received a warning call which requested to remove the pictures from website, he is not sure if former employer will take further action, my friend tried to keep those pictures in the website if possible, because those pictures are the decoration works he finished in the past, they are very important to my friend potential client. he just doesn't know if he need to remove the pictures by the law, he knew the former employer much during his employment.

senecacollege, Mar 20, 2016 IP
  4. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    sounds like he just cares about the pictures. he was paid by the other company to make those, so he can't use the pictures of any unless he did them himself and weren't working for another company

pmf123, Mar 20, 2016 IP
  5. senecacollege

Best Answers:
    yes, I think he cares about the pictures because the pictures are important to his current business promotion(you know, he just start up his own business, he need some works he have finished in the past) he took the pictures by his own cell phone and he is also part of the team that finish all these decoration works altogether. That company owner felt angry, I think there are two reasons, one is my friend is a competitor, the other one is that company also has some same decoration works to my friend's, and they are just in different pictures.

he told me he took these pictures by his interest before, on every wedding decor event that he worked on, he finished most or partial decoration works, he felt its beautiful, then took the picture, now he starts his own business by part time, he want to use these pictures, because he thinks he own these pictures, but the decoration works in the pictures are most or partial done by him. my another friend said 'just ignore that warning, its a bluster, that company owner saw my friend start his own business and felt jealous, if they want to file a lawsuit, just bring it on, haha'.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2016
  6. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What part of 'the other company own that work' are you having trouble with?

pmf123, Mar 20, 2016 IP
  7. senecacollege

Best Answers:
    currently my friend just got a warning call from that company owner who asked my friend to remove the pictures from my friend's website, i think if that company take further action and send a lawyer letter to my friend, maybe it will say that company own the decoration works in the picture, so that my friend cant use the pictures. I was suggesting my friend to purchase some decoration works picture on photostock site.

my friend just want to know if its legal to use the pictures on his website or use to promote business in the law. because we are not lawyer, we need someone who know more and better about law to answer. I told my friend the bottom line is to remove the pictures.

8. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    He should just make up some samples as they wouldnt be his work either

pmf123, Mar 20, 2016 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  9. senecacollege

Best Answers:
    currently he has few wedding decor events, but they are in next couple months, we know if he finish these events in this years, he can have his own works and pictures. the things is he is so familiar with the decoration works in those pictures, he feels sad to let them go off the website.

he told me his potential clients always ask him to show them some samples or works he finished in the past. without the pictures, I think its hard for him to promote business in local area and convince potential clients.

10. pmf123

pmf123 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    showing them in person is a lot different, maybe if he posts "while working for xxxxx" he will make the old company happy... or just show people and tell them in person

pmf123, Mar 20, 2016 IP
  11. senecacollege

Best Answers:
    yes, showing them in person is a must do, but he still need the pictures in his website and also need the pictures to put on some local classified site to promote business, like kijiji, craiglist, etc. currently he totally rely on internet promotion, because it brings him good result. he hasn't tried local advertising like deliver flyer, poster. I suggest him to buy some decoration photos online, actually he knows that company owner well, doesnt want a fight, the one who will get big benefit is the lawyer. do you know where to buy wedding decorations photos at cheap price? just need 30 photos around. I google search, the big website like shutterstock, istockphoto have monthly subscription that cost $200 with 350 photos around, but I dont need that much.

by the way, thanks for your suggestion
    'maybe if he posts "while working for xxxxx" he will make the old company happy'
    if that old company is big and famous in my local area, your idea is good to him, because it can give him good reference and increase his popularity, but actually its also small company with couple employees

12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I don't know Canadian law but it's based on Britain's Common Law as is New Zealand's law. You two sound like extremely young and naive kids who lack a mentor.

When you work for a company the work you do is the intellectual property of your employer unless there is something explicitly allowing you to claim the work as your own. If I post a line of code that I've developed for a client technically it's theirs and I've breached the contract. Nobody is going to fuss over that but if I packaged up their custom CMS and gave it away they'd be mightily pissed.

Back to your friend, the fact that he was working for cash means that if he tries to use the images and it goes to court he could be up on Income Tax charges as well. S.C.R.E.W.E.D.

The most he can use those images for is to show in an offline portfolio clearly marked as "when I was working elsewhere".

Read up on "Barriers to Entry" - it's a business term for how hard it is to get started. It's a section in any decent business plan.

If you come up with something really novel what is the barrier to entry for your competitors? In this case your friend is discovering that having no track record is a very real barrier to entry. He hasn't been able to bring clients with him as, say, a hairdresser or lawyer might. He needs clients to take a punt on an unknown person who was ok when employed but does he have what it takes to cut it now he's out on his own.

Another barrier to entry is funding. Weddings are organised a long way out with the majority of the payment being made when the wedding happens. Can your friend self-fund that long. It will definitely put other people off.

The ex-employer is using the lack of examples as a barrier to entry. He has been through that painful process, he's not going to help your friend bypass it.

He needs to mock up some real examples, maybe set up a "stage" in a corner of his workshop
    He needs to scout out people looking for weddings on the cheap - hard luck stories that will a) get media coverage; and b) provide awesome photos. Find your young couple who want to marry before a terminally ill parent dies, or before the bride/groom dies, or the radio station looking to do a stunt wedding.

Oh, and don't even think of using the images even with accreditation. Bad, bad, bad idea.

sarahk, Mar 20, 2016 IP
    qwikad.com likes this.
  13. senecacollege

Best Answers:
    thanks for pointing out, my friend just told me he can rent a wedding venue and set up some decorations with different design, then take some pictures as work samples. Thinking he knew ex-employer well, he doesnt want a fight, because he was working for ex-employer, he got the chance to learn this skill and start his own business now. He think wedding decoration business still has big market in my local city, barrier to entry is small, just need more promotion online and offline. Funding is not a problem for this business, because you can use the materials again and again, sooner and later you get ROI. Its not like restaurant, supermaket, if the goods dont sell out, they will go bad and put into garbage at last.
    somehow I think why professinoal photographer can take pictures of somewhere, then use the pictures and even sell them for fortunate, maybe its different story.

senecacollege, Mar 21, 2016 IP
  14. MurrayRothbard

MurrayRothbard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just take the pictures down. Problem solved.

MurrayRothbard, Apr 7, 2016 IP