1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can anyone get into DMOZ?

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by ghostwriter4you, Dec 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gregdavidson

gregdavidson Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That's because you were lucky to have a "volunteer" editor "from home" who liked your website or was just trying to be nice.

gregdavidson, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  2. omeperazole

omeperazole Peon

Best Answers:
    I have been trying since last few months with many sites in different categories but no luck till now..

omeperazole, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  3. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    Well that's not going to help anyone at all. :(

I guess you didn't bother to read the instructions and advice about suggesting your site? In particular the step which says
    Not to mention this bit:
    Please stop wasting volunteer editors' time with an activity that will also be counter-productive for you.

makrhod, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  4. dimmakherbs

dimmakherbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    do what you can, who cares if you get banned from DMOZ, you won't get listed anyway! lol

dimmakherbs, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  5. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems like that. maybe they should make DMOZ all nofollow links, then we can see what that directory is really worth

Caesar1, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  6. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    LOL this reminds me of the Pee-wee Herman movie when Pee-wee was looking for the basement in the Alamo.

Lambert, it could take, weeks, months and even years. just submit and forget or if your like me just complain in the section when ever someone else does. I'm at the point that I'm ready to start an all out jihad on DMOZ. by posting on the Google forums and others about how sad this directory is.

Caesar1, Dec 10, 2008 IP
  7. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    You guys talk about Dmoz as if the editors are professionals who are employed by them. It's a bunch of "regular" people like you and me who manage the listings in Dmoz. Some of the listings in Dmoz weren't even submitted to Dmoz. And a lot of the listings in Dmoz aren't even worthy of being considered a "quality" website. Hmmmmmmmm...........I wonder why.

gregdavidson, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  8. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:

Lucky? What makes me lucky? I got no benefit from being listed there. What is so lucky about that? Seems as a webmaster, you would have a lot more to worry about than getting listed in DMOZ. :rolleyes:

allout, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  9. gregdavidson

Best Answers:
    You got no benefit from being listed there? What's your website address that got accepted? If what you're saying is true then maybe DMOZ really isn't an authority website like people claim it is.

gregdavidson, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  10. allout

allout Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    It is the site in my recent blog spot. DMOZ is just another directory as many long time webmasters have been saying for a couple of years. It was once the directory of all directories but now it is nothing more or less than any other directory. It carries no special weight and as I said, I got no benefit at all.

allout, Dec 11, 2008 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  11. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    In fact, most of the listings in DMOZ were not suggested there, as I illustrated earlier in this thread. ;)

makrhod, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  12. Lexiseek

Lexiseek Banned

Best Answers:
    A few years back DMOZ used to have tons of clones that "actually counted" in Google's SERPS. Back then people recommended inclusion.

Now it's merely a steaming pile of shit run by volunteer bag-holders and corrupt Meta-Editors.

As far as being a "good list" of resources, you gotta be kidding me! Look at the crappy sites in DMOZ.

Lexiseek, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  13. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I am not sure where to begin with what you've said... heh.

Getting your own site listed by becoming an editor certainly can get you a listing, but if your site is not worthy of a listing, someone WILL remove it! So there is no "guaranteed" way of a listing. Well, unless you are staff or an admin, then, heh, you can get your site's deep links listed by the thousands (LOL)

They SHOULD add you as an editor. If not, then you are doing something wrong! You can try and try and try and try till you get in (or banned as an idiot that can't follow instructions).

Contacting the editors for a listing will generally result in NOT getting a listing. If they ask for money, DO report them, publicly if possible. That helps everyone ;) Though, don't accept the offer, or you run the risk of the editor saying you offered to pay first or something *shrug*

The better part of the editing team at DMOZ are a bunch of nice folks, or at least I like to believe that. Yeah, they have a few bad apples, but most are good. The main reasons (but not the only ones) for many of the complaints are as Mark said... no one has gotten to the site yet, or the site is not worthy.

Is there corruption? Sure there is, and it starts at the top, but still, it's rarer then most would think... though I feel most think that there is a lot of corruption is due to the fact that it DOES start from the top.

I would LOVE for that to happen, as it would truly prove once and for all it is NOT a listing service for editors.

Qryztufre, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  14. azn_romeo_4u

azn_romeo_4u Peon

Best Answers:

Win.

Yea I agree, what's the point of DMOZ these days. Most of the sites on there are from geocities, and are dead. No updates since 1999.

azn_romeo_4u, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  15. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    I think some of editors seem professional. however I think some are in it to make money and some have biases. I mean how can one site have like 9 links and I can get 1. I've seen this in many instances. another guy I talk to says he is in the same boat. its funny that most of the people that are listed, rank well and charge good money for links on thier sites. my two sites that I've finished rank well in serps so that matters much more then a link in the joke of a directory

Caesar1, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  16. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you really think Dmoz would be around if it was nofollow?

BTW: is that link in your profilie a joke? (www.dmoz-resources.com) I tried to register but it wouldn't let me, but then again this is typical of Dmoz

Caesar1, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  17. makrhod

makrhod Peon

Best Answers:
    The link you tried is nothing to do with DMOZ at all, and explains that on the front page:
    If you are looking for the DMOZ public forum, it is at http://www.resource-zone.com/ , which is owned and operated entirely by ODP editors. :)

makrhod, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  18. Caesar1

Caesar1 Peon

Best Answers:
    My dear friend,

Yes I've read that but the staff that are running the site are or were editors of Dmoz.

Caesar1, Dec 11, 2008 IP
  19. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No, it's not a joke, but then, its not the resource it used to be either. Seemingly editors posting there were told that they should not be posting there, so the better majority left.

Its just as official as the one you linked too. At least according to the disclaimers.... the only OFFICIAL means of discussing anything with DMOZ is blog.dmoz.org. Which means that even here in this ODP forum talking to you is just as good a place any any other ODP forum to talk about things.

I've pointed to the forum you linked to several times and several times I was told that such a place was NOT official. So maybe, just maybe, either editors need to all get on the same page, or they really do need an official method of communication, other then the internal forums.

Qryztufre, Dec 12, 2008 IP
  20. jimnoble

jimnoble Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    News to me and neither am I aware that contributing there is/was ever officially deprecated. Can you cite a credible reference for your claims?

jimnoble, Dec 12, 2008 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.