1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

can anyone explain indepth about Google page rank algorithm ?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by themedseoservices, Apr 28, 2009.

themedseoservices, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  2. themedseoservices

themedseoservices Guest

Best Answers:
    themedseoservices, Apr 28, 2009 IP
  3. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yea... I know all about it...

However, if you want "in-depth" information, you can get it straight from the horse's mouth... Read The Anatomy of a Large-Scale Hypertextual Web Search Engine by Sergey Brin and Larry Page, Google's two founders. It's their whitepaper from Stanford which became the blueprint for Google and where this thing called "Page Rank" was first mentioned/documented (pay special attention to section 2). You can also read Wikipedia's explanation of Page Rank which is pretty much taken from the previous document and dummied down slightly.

If you're still hungry for information then read Google's Patent on Page Rank. They have several other patents as well that might interest you. I'll leave finding those as an exercise for you.

If you take the time to read and comprehend all of the formulas you'll see that page rank is simply a measure of link popularity. It's based on the quantity and quality of inbound links to a URL. And you'll see that the amount of PR that is passed out from each link of a page/URL to the target URL is approximately the PR of the source URL divided by the number of followed outbound links on the page located at the source URL. I say approximately because they include a damping factor (which once defaulted to about 15%) to account for the small probability that the web surfer might close his browser and not go from that page to a different page.

If you know anything about Google's ranking algorithm you'll know that PR is pretty much worthless these days for ranking purposes. It's one of over 200 different factors that Google considers when ranking a URL for a particular keyword phrase and carries very little weight. It's a terrible measurment for anything remotely related to SEO. It has virtually no bearing or correlation to SERP rankings or traffic.

PR is only useful if you are selling links on your site (which of course is a violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines) and you want to be able to advertise that you have a high PR site willing to sell links so that you can trick some unknowledgable noobish SEO into purchasing links at an extremely inflated price and have it do nothing for their rankings... But they'll feel good cuz they can say, "Hey! I got a PR5 link!".

Canonical, Apr 28, 2009 IP