1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can anyone explain DNS please?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by hostguost, Apr 19, 2018.

Does anyone have the knowledge and time to answer some questions about DNS please? I have been renting servers from Kimsufi, OVH and So You Start for many years now, usually for my own sites, but have been interested in setting up as a hosting provider.
    I know cpanel is probably the best, but I want to use KloxoMR instead. It's the only open source panel that integrates out of the box with billing software, but I have never managed a successful installation of KloxoMR, as webmail never works.

The only thing I can think that might be causing that is DNS, other open source panels are ready configured while KloxoMR isn't, and indeed doing a check with intodns shows I have no MX records configured, but how do I do that?
    The problem I have in understanding DNS, is WHERE to set it up from?
    I have three points to my domain name:
    1. My domain name provider, in this case crazydomains.
    2.Kimsui/OVH, my server provider.
    3. KloxoMR, my hosting control panel.

With other OS panels, I simply set an A record to my server ip, and the control panel takes care of the rest, but not the case with KloxoMR.
    I understand a hostname to be host.domain.com but some forums consider domain.com to be a host name. So first question which is correct?
    Second, My server name is along the lines of nshost123.kimsufi.com but I can add my own hostname. If I add my own, does that mean I create an A record like host.domain.com at crazydomains, then add that in Kimsufi's control panel?
    Thirdly, where do I set up MX records from? After pointing my domain to my ip and adding it as the default domain in KloxoMR, it shows the following DNS template:
    __base__ A - 12.34.567.89
    cp A - 12.34.567.89
    ftp A - 12.34.567.89
    mail A - 12.34.567.89
    ns1 A - 12.34.567.89
    ns2 A - 12.34.567.89
    stats A - 12.34.567.89
    lists CN - mail
    webmail CN - mail
    www CN - __base__
    imap FCNAME - mail.domain.com.dnst
    pop FCNAME - mail.domain.com.dnst
    smtp FCNAME - mail.domain.com.dnst
    __base__ MX 10 mail.domain.com.dnst
    __base__ NS - ns1.domain.com
    __base__ NS - ns2.domain.com

(domain.com being my domain name)
    Yet intodns shows that my domain name does not have mx records, even after creating them at crazydomains as well.
    So where do I set up mx records from, domain provider, server provider or server?
    Any help would really be appreciated, thanks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
    hostguost, Apr 19, 2018 IP