1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can a new search engine survive with google, yahoo & bing?

Discussion in 'All Other Search Engines' started by Rinoy, Feb 27, 2013.

I have an idea to start a search engine. Is it possible to survive with others, what are the possibilities?

Rinoy, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  2. kingofking

kingofking Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think it would be very difficult to compete. But, you can concentrate on building some local area domain which provide clear cut information about each and everything in that area and try gradually extending it

kingofking, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  3. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    If it's a better search engine (faster, more relevant results, etc.), sure...

digitalpoint, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  4. stock_post

stock_post Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    getting the 1st one million users is hard, after that as long as the search results are relevant, you bet it will succeed.

Bing is doing OK now a days.

stock_post, Feb 27, 2013 IP
  5. Zeshan Noor wahgra

Zeshan Noor wahgra Active Member

Best Answers:
    Let me add a quickly reply to this post.Understandable "No way".Google is like addiction for people,Bing is really having tough time in Google presence and new guy can not afford to have search engine first.A real search engine and than managing it another tough Job.Making it popular the toughest of all.

Zeshan Noor wahgra, Mar 1, 2013 IP
  6. Apposl

Apposl Member

Best Answers:
    I think I can, I think I can... :)

Look, competing with Google? Yikes. No way.

But as always, niches can be king and dominating a niche can be done many ways - one of which is by offering a valid search engine.

I don't need to make as much as Google, Blekko, Dogpile, Ixquick, DuckDuckGo, etc, to offer a viable product and if not 'compete,' than still succeed financially. Plenty of room underneath the big fish, and it's a world of internet traffic, tabs, and options.

I'm launching my search engine next month. I don't expect to rock the world, but certainly have a strong plan to carve out a significant chunk. :)

Gross I just had an ant on me. New place. :(

Apposl, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  7. Rinoy

Rinoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it require a great marketing via tv ads to reach the web audience as the search engine kings once done. Advertising it on google adwords or bing will reduce the value & impression of your site. Any way All the best.

Rinoy, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  8. Rinoy

Rinoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, you are right. competing will be very difficult as people trusts google like their soul.

Rinoy, Mar 15, 2013 IP
  9. hemantkashap

hemantkashap Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    if you looking to survive then you can to focus on content and ON page techniques

hemantkashap, Mar 16, 2013 IP
  10. prawyyy

prawyyy Active Member

Best Answers:
    It can survive with a small number of users. If you want to make the search engine then do something that will stand out. For example price comparison services was a great idea to make something using new niche. If you have an idea to create something original and new then you have a chance to survive.

prawyyy, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  11. kefren

kefren Member

Best Answers:
    Hi.

At the present time Google has the game and players, Bing and Yahoo! don't even have a ball. Over time though search is going to decrease because there are much better ways to find the content you need without search. Research has stated that out of the millions of webpages, people only bookmark and keep referencing a few websites on a regular basis.

If you can convert your engine into a website then that would be much better. So price comparison websites are really niche search engines.

But ultimately, don't listen to us :) Just go for it. If it works yay, congratulations, if it doesn't congratulations, at least you tried. You can not be 100% sure, but you can be close.

Regards.

kefren, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  12. jack2230

jack2230 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Kefren sums it up, although I disagree on some peoples perception of Yahoo & Bing. I would still classify them as major players in the search game and they are still two of the most popular sites visited on the internet. People who call them "small players" are getting it all wrong, since they can bring your website more traffic with all the millions of users they still have and will continue to have for at least the next few years.

Jack

jack2230, Mar 17, 2013 IP
  13. spider_web

spider_web Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    if it provide better service than possible .

spider_web, Mar 19, 2013 IP
  14. afoley77

afoley77 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hey friends,
    I think we all are forgetting that who invented Google was a person with a great mind. So, if someone have such a great mind, no one can beat her or her skills like Google's developer. So, if you have an idea then try to implement it, and make it available in the front of whole world. Your mind may be greater than Google' developer..

afoley77, Apr 3, 2013 IP