1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

can a girl become a good web designer?

Discussion in 'HTML & Website Design' started by webaddiction, Sep 27, 2008.

It is always said, that a girl has good aesthetics sense, infact better then a boy, then why is it that boys are more in ratio in web designing compared to girls ??

and wot does it take to become a good web designer ? like if you know how to make a link menu, add some boxes, then wot does it take to make a design actually called professional and mature , when they are also adding up boxes and menu bars :confused:

webaddiction, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  2. Xavier_3D

Xavier_3D Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Wooo How many gals posters, im reading out today :).

nywayz about your Question. Yes obviously, anyone can be a good web designer, its not dependent on genders. Guys mostly tend to be in this sphere, because most can gladly put time to it, in contrast to girls. There are alot of professionals including women who are excelling in this field. It is just due to the fact that they are shear in number which makes it a male oriented field.

For e.g. Asian Men are much more into designing, then asian women. And asia is a like a world leader when it comes to population. So thats your answer.

I did read about some girl who makes million out of designing MySpace Profile Pages.

In designing, nothing really. Just have a good sense of how colours blend with each other, and what appears to be pleasing enough.

In Programming. YES! You need to know it fairly well to make your design a reality.

A design becomes professional when it attracts a wide range of public. Things appreciated these days are Web 2.0 designs with clean sleak rounded corners, if buttons are used. Gradients are also an important factor. It is professional mainly because its clean, and efficient. Thats all!

Xavier_3D, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  3. justingh

justingh Peon

Best Answers:
    In my experience women are far better web designers than us males. They seem to have a much better eye for detail.

justingh, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  4. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I will probably catch some slag for this, but I believe women should handle the design of websites and men should handle the implementation of website designs.
    Women should take over Photoshop, and men HTML/CSS.

Women often do have better asthetics sense then men, and men often have better implementation skills than women.

Think about the spice rack mom got from dad. She told him what it should be like, and he built it.

joebert, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  5. Business_in_2008

Business_in_2008 Peon

Best Answers:
    WHAT ARE YOU SEXIST?

Hehe. Kiding.

I think the reason more boys happen into it is due to love for computers and other stuff that introduces them to it faster.

So it goes something like this:

If girls have more "aesthetic senses" (as you put it) than boys in web designing, which I don't doubt. But boys hang more around the tools needed to develop said skill.

Then it's going to = more boys doing it.

Business_in_2008, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  6. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Girls make everything better: better designer, better president, better everything...Real men know that...

Codythebest, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  7. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Let's see Martha Stewart pour a concrete foundation.

joebert, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  8. geckojohn

geckojohn Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course - it's all about your technique and style :)

geckojohn, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  9. Codythebest

Codythebest Notable Member

Best Answers:
    She might do better than you doing a paella :D

Codythebest, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  10. garyc40

garyc40 Peon

Best Answers:
    Actually, it's like cooking.

Wives are the ones who cook at home, but real masters in cooking are usually men. It's the same thing with fashion, design etc.

It's not to say that girls can't do those things as good.

Actually I think it's because men learn consciously while women do it in an instinctive way.

garyc40, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  11. drgeorgep

drgeorgep Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi Webaddiction ... have you given web design a try? Any sites? Don't buy what Garyc40 is selling. Want anything done right? Then get a woman to do it. Good luck.

drgeorgep, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  12. tastysites

tastysites Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Of course women can be excellent web designers / developers. :)

As a woman in this field, you can use skills to your advantage that men lack when trying to target a female audience for web projects.

Plus, I have (generally) found that women are better web architects, meaning they can assemble web content in a more fluid, intuitive way than men.

Have fun!
    tasty

tastysites, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  13. ryandanielt

ryandanielt Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is really nothing to it, what you have to keep in mind is that some people will like your style of work and others will not. This is why it is best to have a portfolio, this will give potential customers a chance to view some of your work and get a feel for your sense of style.

Honestly I believe that there are many girls out there that are designing some great things and I also believe that the more effort you put into your work the better you will get.

@ codythebest - The statement that woman do everything better is just a sexist comment towards men, not all women are better then men. There are many things that men can do that woman cant and also there are many things that woman can do that men cant. It all equals out in the long run.

ryandanielt, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  14. garyc40

garyc40 Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm not saying men do stuffs better than women.

I'm just saying "more men are good at design than women".

Girls often have the "technological barrier", when they try to use the computer or any high-tech devices. So they are not often able to utilize the technological tools for designs, that's why their designs are often not as professional as what men do. So I'm blaming the tools, and not saying that women can't design (I hate those extreme sexists who always try to distort my comment).

Anyway, if you really like designing, do your best to master the tools (computer, photoshop etc.), learn from professional sources and develop your own styles.

garyc40, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  15. abercrombie

abercrombie Peon

Best Answers:
    I know a ton of female web designers. Visit any celebrity site dedicated to men. Most are females and they really have an eye for design. Lots of the graphic designers I work with are females. They really have an eye for aesthetics. The reason why you see many males is because it's a geek world and there are more guys into computers than women.

abercrombie, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  16. hiimglen

hiimglen Banned

Best Answers:
    I believe a woman should be in the kitchen and not behind a computer

hiimglen, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  17. TG_Kenneth

TG_Kenneth Peon

Best Answers:
    Nothing is impossible! :)

TG_Kenneth, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  18. jlfrank21

jlfrank21 Banned

Best Answers:
    Girls are better with matching colors and it's a known fact that guys are partially color blind compared to women. Girls win.

jlfrank21, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  19. seogoogle

seogoogle Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think so ;) Girls always do better then Boys as they have good sense of humor and better ideas.

seogoogle, Sep 27, 2008 IP
  20. M.IMRAN

M.IMRAN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why Not?...... Ofcourse girls can become good webdesigners.

M.IMRAN, Sep 27, 2008 IP