1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

can a free app make money?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Jmor, Feb 1, 2015.

I have game app idea for kids in our church (LDS), It is a fun learning enjoying experience for them. pls feel free to make comments.

Jmor, Feb 1, 2015 IP
  2. CobaltBlue87

CobaltBlue87 Member

Best Answers:
    pretty obvious! yep if you use in game purchases :p

CobaltBlue87, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  3. Jmor

Jmor Member

Best Answers:
    Yes! definitely, but how about if you don't wanna charge people for your app. is there any way to still get money from it?

Jmor, Feb 2, 2015 IP
  4. seork

seork Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    One way I think is from Advertising in the App. You provide your app free to people but in the middle of game or at the time of ending app you can see some ads pop up which can earn you.

seork, Feb 5, 2015 IP
  5. Kenya Writer

Kenya Writer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Nice one. At least someone finally creating an app that targets children. I have never heard of that before. Congrats. You can sell ads on your app I believe if you want it to be a free one

Kenya Writer, Feb 5, 2015 IP
  6. superrichguy

superrichguy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Advertisements! Thats why tons of apps are free, they also have in app purchases as well. Or you can have a free version and a paid version.

superrichguy, Feb 5, 2015 IP
  7. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    You're kidding, right?

Ads are good but you may need to sell them yourself to ensure they meet the religious guidelines of your sect.

sarahk, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  8. Kenya Writer

Best Answers:
    Kidding? Not really. I have not seen an app for kids that work to its best. At least not just yet.

Kenya Writer, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  9. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Angry Birds?
    Candy Crush?

How about one of these:
    [​IMG]

sarahk, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  10. Kenya Writer

Best Answers:
    he aint talking about these ones Sarah. LOL :) remember what he said? or you did simply ignore the "Church Kids" part? Or maybe he should specify further. Either way, he needs ideas on how make money from free Apps for "Kids in his church" cheers :)

11. Jmor

Jmor Member

Best Answers:
    Maybe your are right, i might have specify it too much. If you guys could give me some suggestion on how to make it narrow enough but not too much in order for me get get at least some profit from it that would be really helpful on my end. @Sarah, thanks for your insight.

Jmor, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  12. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    No, I thought you had. I had to google LDS when I first read the post. I know one of the buzztouch users has created a stack of Christian apps - not targetted at any particular sect I don't think. I haven't checked them out so I'm not sure if they are "games" or just information.

sarahk, Feb 6, 2015 IP
  13. Kenya Writer

Best Answers:
    Well, maybe you should check that out some time. Cheers! :)

14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    Not automatically knowing what an acronym referred to doesn't mean I'm completely ignorant. I'm aware of the sect and what they believe in/stand for.

sarahk, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  15. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    "Kids" is a pretty general term and can be interpreted to mean a 4-year-old or a 16-year-old. Your church is relatively small, so your target audience will be likewise small and, if you have to further segment by age group (which seems to be the only way to go), you will have an even smaller potential market per game. The only potential advertisers that I see for your games, therefore, would be vendors specializing in products or services specifically for members of your church. The advertising model would have to be adjusted for the relatively low traffic/downloads/views and focused on the high value of these targeted prospects.

I would start first by getting the "blessing" of someone in the church hierarchy for your product(s) for credibility purposes and then reach out to those vendors that would like to target your church kids. It most likely will be tough to get such vendors to sign up for your apps unless the Church is okay with it.

You have identified a niche and potentially a valuable one, but niche businesses have to market and operate differently.

jrbiz, Feb 7, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  16. Kenya Writer

Best Answers:
    Are you doubting yourself? Or you are just worried I didn't get you? Or maybe you are just putting your self in that position? LOL :) I like the way you are trying to defend yourself, but I think that was quite unnecessary as there was nothing to defend yourself on. Either way, happy day :) Cheers Sarah K :)

How is getting the blessing from someone in the Church related to free app marketing ideas? I don't get you. I have always understood that Church and Business are two different thing. Only that in this case, the targeted audience is the "kids in his church". Or perhaps you would like to tell me what you mean by that piece I just quoted.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 8, 2015
    Kenya Writer, Feb 7, 2015 IP
  17. Content Maestro

Content Maestro Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Most probably, “blessing” doesn't mean the literal blessing you conceive, but it means 'approval'. Hasn't the word been deliberately included in double quotes? -
    If doing any business in the Church has to be approved first by someone at a higher position in the hierarchy, their “blessing” is a requisite.

Yep, Church and business are two entirely different things, but here, the target audience/market of the said business concerns people associated with a Church. (You've given the answer yourself BTW!:)) That's why, the business plan or product in question has to be adjusted according to what people in the Church expect or want. It goes the same when doing any type of business. And I don't think after the adjustment or “molding”, the two (i.e. the target market/audience and the business/product being created for them) would be any/much different.

Anyway, I hope I've somewhat been able to explain @jrbiz's point.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Content Maestro, Feb 7, 2015 IP
    sarahk and jrbiz like this.
  18. jrbiz

jrbiz Acclaimed Member

Best Answers:
    jrbiz, Feb 8, 2015 IP
    Content Maestro likes this.
  19. pilot35

pilot35 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Those free apps are actually make way more than paid if done correctly. Take Flappy Bird as an example. That app is no longer on Play Store, but when it was the developer was making over $50,000 every day just from ad revenue. Why? Because it's addictive. It's like selling virtual drugs. :)

pilot35, Feb 8, 2015 IP
  20. Kenya Writer

Best Answers:
    Did you start content writing after going to church? Maestro, Church matters have gotten into the DP platform, so tell me, can you or can you not do business without church approval? I know this is silly but I honestly do not get it . lol :)

Kenya Writer, Feb 8, 2015 IP