1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can a Copywriter Make a Great Living?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by Masterful, Sep 5, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bruceslogos

bruceslogos Peon

Best Answers:
    Being a copywriter is a great job and can make a great living. As I observed most of the company needs a copywriter or a writer because without them there is no content to promote or nor a website to promote

bruceslogos, Sep 8, 2009 IP
  2. TheInventorySoftware.com

TheInventorySoftware.com Member

Best Answers:
    i heard one guy from Malaysia make $30k per sales letter he write.....
    I believe, when you have knowledge, it can be turned to $$$.

The key is FOCUS

3. lee456

lee456 Peon

Best Answers:
    they can make much .. and many are making..I have one online friend who makes a lot..

lee456, Sep 15, 2009 IP
  4. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yup making a career as copywriter is really good. Writing content for some ad or brochure can earn you a lot. Creative writing has always been one of most admired jobs. I myself like it very much. With every project you get a chance to improve yourself. Anyways best of luck with you.

wildogre, Sep 15, 2009 IP
  5. Ruth_writer

Ruth_writer Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes copywriters are making huge amount of revenue these days and you can also be a part of them, but make sure to provide quality content to your customers always ;)

Ruth_writer, Sep 16, 2009 IP
  6. rexertea

rexertea Active Member

Best Answers:
    you had stated a very good amount for copywriters but where are the places that pay you such good amount. I am looking for those.

rexertea, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    rexetera - Those types of gigs aren't advertised nearly as often as low paying gigs. If you want them you'll have to build a reputation in your specialty area and build your network. I'm not saying you can't find any advertised, but if you count on that primarily or exclusively then you're probably setting yourself up for disappointment.

jhmattern, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  8. lostpoet

lostpoet Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Just think of it this way – as a copywriter you are helping sell a product/service/company through your words. The more you sell, the higher you can charge. The fact is that a lot of companies make millions and some make billions from each of their ventures.

Put them together and do the math. How much will your sales letter be worth if it ensures that the company rakes in the moolah?

lostpoet, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  9. rexertea

rexertea Active Member

Best Answers:
    How much time do you think it will require for me to actually build my network and reputation? Do I have to promote myself through forums only? or, are there more ways?

rexertea, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  10. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    No. Go check out some freelance writing sites for tips. There are plenty of options beyond just forums. No can guess how much time it will take you. It depends on things like A) what your specialty is, B) how big your target market is, C) how saturated your target market is, D) what kind of credentials you have, and E) whether or not you're any good at promoting / marketing your services.

jhmattern, Sep 22, 2009 IP
  11. vanshaj_agarwal

vanshaj_agarwal Peon

Best Answers:
    I make about $700 - $750 a month without even writing a single word. All I do is edit/proofread work given to me by clients and done by writers.

For the effort put in, I'd say that is some neat cash.

vanshaj_agarwal, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  12. rexertea

rexertea Active Member

Best Answers:
    hey how do you do it? share few secrets with me. I am struggling as a writer. need guidance.

rexertea, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  13. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    I think it is also important to note that the high earning copywriters worked really hard to get where they are now. I don't know of anybody who started out in the five figures range for copywriting. This isn't to say that you have to "work your way up" (no matter what anybody will tell you in the BST boards) but you will need to put some time and effort in to proving that you are a worthy investment.

If you are looking to earn big bucks right away there are other ways to do it. I don't know what they are (obviously or I'd be doing it!) but probably everybody here can agree that writing--content, copy, whatever--is not going to make you flush with cash overnight. :)

snarke, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  14. rock785

rock785 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ofcourse, one can make a living from content writing. I know of writers charging $1 for each word. You can imagine the income potential from this.

rock785, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  15. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I do occasional articles, but I am predominantly a copywriter for small and medium businesses. I work part time (about 15 - 20 hours a week, usually), and I make about $1600 per month. I have just risen my rates, so I will probably be making more than that now, which is nice. But I am still new to all of this, and have limited experience. I know that many Copywriters will work for more professional sources and earn a fantastic income.

oo87, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  16. KRA-12

KRA-12 Peon

Best Answers:
    I read about this the other day. If I remember correctly it stated that you could make $800-$1500 a project if you mastered you craft. Easily.
    And it could net you anywhere from $50 - $100 K a year.
    I think the best place to get started would be freelance sites.

I was thinking about doing this myself, as I was writing sales copy for myself the other day.
    And it seemed like a viable way to get dollars in the pay pal account.

Hope this helps

KRA-12, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  17. rexertea

rexertea Active Member

Best Answers:
    I just don't understand how you people earn so much? please let me know the process of how to find good paying jobs? I need your advice.

rexertea, Sep 23, 2009 IP
  18. oo87

oo87 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    I created a number of samples in various niches, and made sure they were all well written. I then began frequenting freelancing sites, including DP's B,S,T board, and I started answering ads. Once I had some iTrader I created my own here, and from there people began coming to me.

At this point I only get a few new clients every few months. Instead of finding new ones, I usually stick with older one, and they use me on a regular basis. Because I have proven an asset to them, they stick with me for all of their content needs. As I specialize in marketing, sales, and press releases there is always more to do.

I hope that helps. It was actually very easy to break into this, but there is one thing you should keep in mind: pricing. If you charge very little you will not make good money. You can only get higher rates if you write well in the language you are choosing. Most people would rather hire natives in that language, and so start looking for sites asking for writers in your first language, and charge more.

oo87, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  19. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    1. Create a portfolio site. If I were a client here and I saw your posts and wanted to hire you, there is no portfolio site for me to click on and read your samples.

2. Let people know you are a writer for hire. I did not notice anything in your signature to suggest that.

3. Network on other forums. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Network in forums that might hold clients for you.

4. Apply for gigs. When I first left corporate writing and went into freelancing, I did so by answering a Craigslist ad. There is no guarantee that a new writer will be able to just start scoring gigs with networking alone. I always suggest a minimum of 15 queries/ gig ad responses a day.

Y.L. Prinzel, Sep 24, 2009 IP
  20. rexertea

rexertea Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much prinzel, I will certainly promote myself with a purpose. Thanks for your advice.

rexertea, Sep 24, 2009 IP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.